Hangar home in SE USA under $350K?

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
Hubby and I are contemplating moving from Hollywood FL to a nice place where we can live with our plane.

We'd consider FL, GA, SC, NC, etc....

Anyone know of affordable options? Grass runway OK, paved preferred.

Love to hear from those of you who have made the jump... and any pros and cons you learned in the process.

singing in my Mr. Roger's voice: "We want to be your neighbor!"

Thanks,

Allison

KWDR T-hangars are $250/mo. Not sure if they have some available or not at the moment. We have a 5000+ concrete runway, a 3500+ asphalt runway, and on on-ramp restaurant. :)

EDIT: Whoops, you are looking for a live-in community...sorry.

Big South Fork in TN and Heaven's Landing in north GA are both nice. Plenty of lots for sale within walking distance to the hangers. Might be a bit pricey though.

There are several fly-in communities around the Atlanta metro area.

Right near me in the beautiful N GA mountains is a strip with hangars, lots and homes near Blue Ridge, GA.

It's called Blue Ridge Skyport, 57GA.

Have no idea what lots or homes are going for there, but you can contact the owner, Jim Clack to see what's available.

http://www.airplanemanager.com/Airports/57GA

You might recall I made a similar move from S FL around 2005, and have not regretted it for a second.

Eagles Landing is a nice community south of Atlanta. Nice homes and two grass runways.

Also Cedar Ridge is just north of Eagles Landing...concrete runway looks nice from the air. Houses are a little older but definitely in your price range.

I would stay away from the "mega" fly-in communities, but that's just my personal preference (Mallard's Landing comes to mind).

North Georgia up in the blue ridge mountains. http://www.heavenslanding.com/

Their website is terrible and slow for me.. but the facility looks nice.

My parents have a place in Rabun Gap. Really wish I had access to that airport. It looks beautiful. I ran across it while looking for nearby airports. Don't think there are any $350k houses in that neighborhood. Down in my town of Mt Pleasant, SC there's a neighborhood called Raven's Run. I think houses start just above $400k. Only problem is the grass runway looks scary as hell. Not well maintained 2400ft grass strip surrounded by a moat. I've set up an approach on it once to see what it might feel like to land on it and was really glad it wasn't a real landing.

We have lots on our field that can be had for around $70K. How much additional you spend your house is up to you. We're fairly free with architectural guidelines (no trailers/modulars though). We've had a few people living in rooms inside their hangars though.

I can give you our neighborhood realtor if you like.

Hhmm, I replied to this but don't see the post, weird. Anyways, although I don't know home prices, take a look at 14A, Lake Norman Airpark. My only finders fee is a flight around the lake :)

Eagles Landing is a nice community south of Atlanta. Nice homes and two grass runways.

Also Cedar Ridge is just north of Eagles Landing...concrete runway looks nice from the air. Houses are a little older but definitely in your price range.

I would stay away from the "mega" fly-in communities, but that's just my personal preference (Mallard's Landing comes to mind).

I was going to recommend Mallards landing (GA04).

Hhmm, I replied to this but don't see the post, weird. Anyways, although I don't know home prices, take a look at 14A, Lake Norman Airpark. My only finders fee is a flight around the lake :)

We are 4 miles away from 14A on NC26. There's one house for sale (not a motivated seller I think) but there are building lots available. 3000' of really firm grass. I'm right at midfield.

We are 4 miles away from 14A on NC26. There's one house for sale (not a motivated seller I think) but there are building lots available. 3000' of really firm grass. I'm right at midfield.

I'm in Durham NC on 8NC8, 3300' of lit grass with private fuel. Only half the homes on the strip actually fly (??!!). The prices are right but nothing for sale right now that I'm aware of. Good commutes to RTP, Duke and UNC if needed.

If I had a chance to be on 14A or NC26, I'd take it. They are both airport and lake plays which may be attractive to you given all of FL's distractions.

W91 Smith Mountain Lake VA is an airpark on a GORGEOUS lake. There's a new B&B on the airport, Bedford Landings, so you can drop in, stay a bit and look around.

5NC5 "The Duchy" near Chapel Hill NC. A brand new airpark with plenty of lots available. 3500' of brand new hard top. Don't know the prices but shouldn't be excessive.

Live the Dream!

Hubby and I are contemplating moving from Hollywood FL to a nice place where we can live with our plane.

We'd consider FL, GA, SC, NC, etc....

Anyone know of affordable options? Grass runway OK, paved preferred.

Love to hear from those of you who have made the jump... and any pros and cons you learned in the process.
We've spent a fair amount of time in south FL and lived on an NC airpark for 15+. One thing to consider is that there are a fair number of these places that are in the middle of nowhere, especially the lower priced ones. That might be a major social adjustment coming out of SFL. If we weren't 12 mins from a college town and 30 mins to two more, we'd go nuts. 14A and NC26 have proximity to Charlotte which keeps things civilized. The rural south can be really rural and an airpark 30 from nowhere is nowhere.

Of course, being closer to civilization always runs the risk of being on an airport that will be closed down. The good news is that relatively little of that kind of shut down activity is going on in the SE (compared to the NE) but it does happen. When we first looked at moving to the NC Triangle area, we were looking at KIGX as a good home base - it's closing soon after 15 years of fighting over it. My homebase and places like 14A and NC26 probably aren't going anywhere because we're up against lakes but watch for encroaching subdivisions and fast growing towns.

Re facilities. Grass and hardtop are easy to evaluate. But I had no idea how valuable runway lights were for a traveling airplane. We didn't have fuel at first but got it soon after we moved in. That's a consideration (a big one) as well.

Back