hangar flooor paint

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Painted the hangar floor (over asphalt) about five years ago with "Home Depot" quality single can epoxy. Had a fuel leak and the manufacturer said, "of course our paint can't resist gasoline. Nobody's can."

Horsefeathers. Anybody got a lead on good old gray hangar paint that won't bubble and peel with 100LL, gasahol, or 5606?

Thanks,

Jim

Painted the hangar floor (over asphalt) about five years ago with "Home Depot" quality single can epoxy. Had a fuel leak and the manufacturer said, "of course our paint can't resist gasoline. Nobody's can."

Horsefeathers. Anybody got a lead on good old gray hangar paint that won't bubble and peel with 100LL, gasahol, or 5606?

Thanks,

Jim

Sherwin Williams ArmorSeal 1000 HS Epoxy. If you prep the substrate right it will wear like iron. It laughs at 100LL.

One-part Epoxy is kind of an oxymoron.

I was a moron for using it on my garage floor at home- Doesn't last.

The hangar got the really stinky two-part stuff, and it has held up well.
Acid wash, two coats primer, two coats glossy finish.

It was about $600 in materials, and my labor was free. After all, who's gonna pay a moron for labor?

My neighbor with his round engine (i.e., oil dripping) Waco painted his hangar with the regular (Rustoleum I believe) epoxy garage floor paint. It is holding up well. The only advice is make sure the temperature is above 50 or whatever it says. My brother-in-law's last home improvement attempt was to do his garage floor. It became an unholy mess when it got down to 30 the night he painted the floor.

My concrete was polished smooth in the hangar and coated with some sort of polish from Bowmanite (so it looks like concrete, only shiny). No tire marks, and while oil seems to discolor it slightly, it wipes up (gives it a nice patina). My other hangar just has bare concrete and since it's a rental, I can't really do much to it. THere's a couple of pieces of ancient carpet on the floor.

I would love to do that with my hangar floor, at least the area under the gear, but the floor has a heavy broomed finish and would take lots of epoxy to make smooth.

$600 for a couple of gallons of paint? HOLY CRAP. That's a lot of money.

Back in 2003 when I painted my plane, Du Pont Imron was 310.00 gallon, and I have 2.5 gallons of Orange and 1 gallon of Blue.. The Primer for it was over 200 a gallon... My paint job cost me 1400.00+ in materials alone.. And the plane picked up 37 lbs too..:hairraise:

Attachments

• 801 cabin 028.jpg
    801 cabin 028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Back in 2003 when I painted my plane, Du Pont Imron was 310.00 gallon, and I have 2.5 gallons of Orange and 1 gallon of Blue.. The Primer for it was over 200 a gallon... My paint job cost me 1400.00+ in materials alone.. And the plane picked up 37 lbs too..:hairraise:

I wasn't really planning on using Imron on the floor. I was surprised at plain old garage floor paint being that expensive.

I wasn't really planning on using Imron on the floor. I was surprised at plain old garage floor paint being that expensive.

I have seen high end hangar / garage floor paint exceed 500 a gallon... it is outright BS in my opinion....

Since we're talking about cost, the best way to prep it is to shot blast it. You can usually rent the equipment to do it, dusty, but makes for an excellent substrate. Then wash the floor with an acid solution 1 part Muratic to 4 parts water. Rinse several times throughly. Then use Bondo to fill in any cracks, holes, etc.

Now you're ready to paint.

The Sherwin Williams product runs about 100 per gallon you need 2 Gals at minimum (Part A and B ). I always do two coats of color followed by 1 coat of clear with Shark grip added in (fine sand adds perfect traction when wet). I have skipped the clear and regretted it. The clear adds the UV protection and even the gray will fade over time without it.

I just did a 3 bay garage cost me about $700 in materials.

Thanks,

Jim

The major problem here is the "Over Asphalt" thing. Asphalt is an oil (petroleum) based product, and will exude oil over it's entire life. Anything that you get which will adhere to it permanently, will also be attacked by any kind of solvent. Anything that you use which will seal it, and not be attacked by solvent, will not adhere to it, and will eventually bubble and flake.

The major problem here is the "Over Asphalt" thing. Asphalt is an oil (petroleum) based product, and will exude oil over it's entire life. Anything that you get which will adhere to it permanently, will also be attacked by any kind of solvent. Anything that you use which will seal it, and not be attacked by solvent, will not adhere to it, and will eventually bubble and flake.

Well, I'm not sure what "life" means but I've been in this same exact spot for 40 years (30 with the hangar installed) and I can guarantee that the asphalt is at LEAST 40 years old and probably a lot longer. Isn't that sufficient to leach the oil out of the product?

Jim

Well, I'm not sure what "life" means but I've been in this same exact spot for 40 years (30 with the hangar installed) and I can guarantee that the asphalt is at LEAST 40 years old and probably a lot longer. Isn't that sufficient to leach the oil out of the product?

Jim
Asphalt is a petroleum product. I'm thinking that if stops being 'oily' it has evaporated away.

I know at our little airport, the owner was very careful to pour a concrete pad in front of the fuel pump. Otherwise, our taxiways are asphalt but gasoline spills will attack the stuff given constant exposure.

Their products look OK, I'm not all that shot up about their unprofessional website, and I don't care to buy kits with stuff I'll never use. Since they don't sell JUST the floor paint without all the folderol then I'll pass.

But thanks anyway.

I usually add some folderol to my paint prior to spraying it. It's a Flood product I think.

Asphalt is a petroleum product. I'm thinking that if stops being 'oily' it has evaporated away.

I know at our little airport, the owner was very careful to pour a concrete pad in front of the fuel pump. Otherwise, our taxiways are asphalt but gasoline spills will attack the stuff given constant exposure.

Rocks and tar

Jim

Once the oil has been sufficiently removed from asphalt, enough to allow paint to adhere to it. it is no longer asphalt, but just gravel.

Don't they paint lines on asphalt roads and parking lots all the time?

"Plain old garage floor paint" is what you used in your first post. Imron is not that by a long shot.

Don't they paint lines on asphalt roads and parking lots all the time?

And take a look at the contents of that asphalt based paint that is used to paint lines on asphalt. And the thickness which is applied. Then look at how long it holds up before it starts to fade away.

Back