Hangar.Flights - A brand new pilot-only aviation community!

sennevdp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Senne V
Hello fellow pilots!

I'm new to this forum so first of all something about myself. My name is Senne, I'm a 20-year-old glider pilot, business management student, aviation journalist and private driver from Belgium.

This post is not meant as spam in any way, so if it's too spammy or promotional, let me know :)

I am currently building an online aviation community called Hangar.Flights. This community will be for pilots only, in order to keep it fun, interesting and valuable for every member and to discourage spam, non-aviation related posts and trolls..

The site will be somewhat similar to this one: you will be able to discuss with other pilots, share your flying stories and learn from the experiences of others. You can share your opinion on aviation related topics or just spend your time reading about the adventures of pilots around the world. The main difference lays in the last words: 'pilots from around the world'. It will be an international community with pilots from every corner of the world, flying any type of aircraft (gliders, balloons,.. to helicopters and jets).

Growing a community like that is not something that's done in 123. A community is only as great as the people that are part of it (look at Pilots Of America). So the more pilots to join Hangar.Flights, the more valuable and diverse the content will be and the more people can learn from the experiences of others.

The website is not online yet. If you visit https://Hangar.Flights, you can sign up for our pre-launch list to be notified when our site launches. I expect to launch somewhere in March, when I'm sure everything works like it's supposed. In the future I plan to add extra features like events, videos, maybe even a second hand market, etc.

So if you are a (student) pilot, flying any type of aircraft, from balloons and gliders to jets and helicopters, feel free to sign up to our pre-launch list and invite all your pilot friends to do the same!

If you have any questions, remarks or suggestions, I'll be happy to answer them here, via private message or on senne@Hangar.Flights.

Once again, if this post is inappropriate for this forum or to spammy, just let me know :)

Thanks a lot and have a great week everyone!

Senne - Founder

new_ad.png

Last edited:
Nice logo.

how is it different then the other 5 or 6 social media/aviation reboots that exist already?

how is it different then the other 5 or 6 social media/aviation reboots that exist already?

Thanks MichiPilot, that's actually a good question!

Just like this forum, most online communities are based on the same or similar forum software, with hundreds of different buttons, functions, categories, etc. It doesn't really look and work like a website, and certainly an online community should in 2016. And let's be honest, it could be a lot more modern, intuïtive and easy, no? With all those different options, you just can't see the wood for the trees, at least I can't.

Hangar.Flights is build from the ground up. Every category, story, discussion, blogpost and any other feature of the site is specially tailored to aviation, giving fewer but more helpful functions to the members. The homepage features blog posts, popular stories, an aviation news feed (you can choose the news categories you like to see),... We will also invite aviation 'celebrities' for guest posts and, in the near future, there will be tools available for pilots with a training section, etc. Our objective is to not only make it a forum for pilots, but to make it thé home for pilots to go to on the internet.

Oh, and the site is completely mobile friendly, so the experience on your mobile will be exactly as good as on a big screen!

Of course, I will have to start small, scaling it up on the way, when the number of members grows.

This idea is born from my passion for aviation and creating things. It's a project I am going for 200%, just because I love doing it :)

Last edited:
Cool idea - a website where pilots can get together, discuss aviation, share information, pictures, videos...

...man, I sure wish someone had created something like that in February, 2005, and called it "Pilots of America."

Oh, wait! :D

Cool idea - a website where pilots can get together, discuss aviation, share information, pictures, videos...

...man, I sure wish someone had created something like that in February, 2005, and called it "Pilots of America."

Oh, wait! :D
True, but this place is unfortunately not the community it used to be.

Maybe this is what we need - a brand new community for some folks to reset their internet personas. :dunno:

Leuven...best kept secret in Belgium and for that matter western europe... I had an apartment on Minderbroedersstraat just down from the Botanical Gardens that my kid lived in till three days ago...one of my favorite towns. I am still looking to purchase a loft apartment there in the future. A long way from Texas but cant find a better place to hang out in Europe...Passion for Aviation and maybe a different twist just might work...its so much harder to fly in Europe in general that anything that helps keep the fire burning is good.

Maybe this is what we need - a brand new community for some folks to reset their internet personas. :dunno:

You've said that a couple of times. Certainly, it's different...but help be part of the solution instead of complaining about the good old days. I don't say that to insinuate that you cause any issues at all...but just that the community can police itself.

Years ago I used to know everybody on the board. I considered many of them good friends despite never having seen any of them face-to-face. The site has grown, and with it the diversity (and strength) of the opinions. Certainly there are pockets of problems as there will be on any board...but I just think that the other stuff is worth navigating around those little pockets.

For those that feel strongly that they don't like the tone of certain posters chiding a newbie or whatever...do something to make up for it. Welcome them to the board and shepherd them through finding answers to their questions. Tell the loudmouths to back down (or, better yet, simply report posts that you believe to be out of line). In short, be the change that you want to see in the board.

Moved thread to the classifieds.

Good luck, Senne.

It takes guts to come to an online community for pilots and make a post advertising an online community for pilots and then say that the reason that yours is better is because their software sucks...using their software.

Good luck, Senne.

It takes guts to come to an online community for pilots and make a post advertising an online community for pilots and then say that the reason that yours is better is because their software sucks...using their software.

Something about "chiding a newbie".:D

Good luck, Senne.

Got to handed it to him he has some big melons.

Good luck, Senne.

Thanks for your reply Jason.

I absolutely don't think your site or this software sucks at all. Like you said, I am using it myself now. I just meant that imo it could be better and more user friendly. That's just my honest opinion, I don't want to criticize anyone. On the contrary, I really respect you for the work you do here bringing people together and keeping it fun!

It was never my intention to criticize you, this community or the members that are part of it.. I've been reading stories in the different topics the whole afternoon, I really like it. I was expressing my honest opinion and I understand not everyone has to share it. I would personally like a different style of online platform, but that's just me. Totally understandable that one person might prefere one website or one way of doing things and another one something else. That's totally fine, right? People who are happy with the existing forums and wish to just stay there, should definitely do! Everyone is free to make his own choices.

I didn't came here to be the rude newbie trying to push people in a direction or pushing them to my website. I have been working for over a year and a half now on this website and I'm just looking for the opinion of other pilots so I can learn from it. Thinking people will like it and people actually signing up for something completely new are two different things. It's just a project of mine I work on next to my studies. It could fail and that's fine to me, from your mistakes you can learn. Just like I learned from my mistake today. I agree it maybe wasn't the best idea to just come here and advertise a site that does the same thing as yours.

If in any way I offended you or anyone else here, I sincerely apologise.. I'm just a young person with dreams like all of you..

Last edited:

There is always going to be debate about whether a site is too heavily moderated (in order to keep it "friendly") or not moderated enough. I have also noticed that, many times, the threads with the most activity are those where people are arguing; and those who are lightning rods attract the most rebuttals.

There is always going to be debate about whether a site is too heavily moderated (in order to keep it "friendly") or not moderated enough. I have also noticed that, many times, the threads with the most activity are those where people are arguing; and those who are lightning rods attract the most rebuttals.
Agree, and while it frustrates me at times, I don't think that over-the-top moderation is the answer any more than no moderation.

You've said that a couple of times. Certainly, it's different...but help be part of the solution instead of complaining about the good old days. I don't say that to insinuate that you cause any issues at all...but just that the community can police itself.

In short, be the change that you want to see in the board.
You are right. Unfortunately it takes more than just a few people to accomplish that. I haven't given up (I'm obviously still here) and don't want to see POA fail, but I increasingly see two distinct camps forming - folks either giving in to the dark side and becoming part of the problem, or just giving up and leaving POA. When a large part of the community falls into those two groups, it is pretty difficult for the community to police itself.

Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Agree, and while it frustrates me at times, I don't think that over-the-top moderation is the answer any more than no moderation.
We can agree on both extremes, but the problem is finding that sweet spot in the middle. That's what people will never agree on because users will have different ideas of where the line should be drawn. The reality is that the users here have wildly differing ideas of what should be allowed. Some will leave because we are not strict enough, and others will leave because of perceived "censorship".

We can agree on both extremes, but the problem is finding that sweet spot in the middle. That's what people will never agree on because users will have different ideas of where the line should be drawn. The reality is that the users here have wildly differing ideas of what should be allowed. Some will leave because we are not strict enough, and others will leave because of perceived "censorship".

FWIW, as a relative newcomer here, I think you guys/gals are doing a good job.

Not a bad idea to create a website for pilots only. Though as mentioned already, enforcement will be a lot of work.

I have seen (firsthand) a brand new aviation site launch, become slightly popular, grow widely/wildly popular and ... eventually become forgotten ... since it turned into another FecesBook.

Good luck with your site and hope it does not suffer similar fate of its predecessors.

Now get off the dang Ynternet, people, and go fly somewhere!!

I'm still confused....a Facebook for aviation...or wait Facebook has aviation groups. Then there's bold method, 1,000 forums, crap share aviation.

Back