Hangar construction

islandboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
islandboy
I am soliciting suggestions on construction material/techniques for a hangar in the hurricane belt.

The hangar would need to store two 182's and a Bo side-by-side such that any given plane could be tugged in or out of the hangar without requiring movement of the other planes.

Another consideration might be ease of later dismantling.

As an option, we can also plan for a cold-storage area for any of 6PC's loose cadavers.

Crazy ideas are welcome at this point.

I suggest you build it in Houston and let me park in it for free ;)

I bet you can get some great construction tips here (mine would be steel beams in concrete!) but I have to wonder if it wouldn't be best to consider what the locals are doing. You might visit hurricane surviving airports in the area and ask which hangars have survived the longest, inspect their construction.
I think there are also specific hurricane zone construction techniques used....maybe local code would guide you on that?

I've never seen one in person, but I do know there is such a thing out there as a "carousel" option that rotates planes around a hangar much like a roundhouse did for trains. I have also seen lifts that go in hangars that allow for the storage of an aircraft in the air, allowing for the parking of one on top and one below.

(mine would be steel beams in concrete!):
Issues here might be:
1. Salt interacting with steel.
2. Difficulty in dismantling concrete of the airport authority decides, "Hey those guys should move that thing over there."

consider what the locals are doing:
My two buddies and I ARE the locals.

which hangars have survived the longest?:
I have seen a quonset-style hangar that had been around for a while, but they seem ill suited to getting multiple aircraft in and out. From what I have seen, most light non-commercial aircraft just sit in the sun (clearly not optimal).

maybe local code would guide you
Local code was limited to forbidding the use of a flat roof.

I wonder whether there are any economically feasible dense composite materials that might be applicable.

I bet you can get some great construction tips here (mine would be steel beams in concrete!) but I have to wonder if it wouldn't be best to consider what the locals are doing. You might visit hurricane surviving airports in the area and ask which hangars have survived the longest, inspect their construction.
I think there are also specific hurricane zone construction techniques used....maybe local code would guide you on that?

The carousel is an interesting notion. I suspect a lift would not meet with local approval, as it would restrict viewing from the tower.

They may be very good reasons that I have seen few hangared private bug smashers.

I've never seen one in person, but I do know there is such a thing out there as a "carousel" option that rotates planes around a hangar much like a roundhouse did for trains. I have also seen lifts that go in hangars that allow for the storage of an aircraft in the air, allowing for the parking of one on top and one below.

If it was me, and I'm building something that I can keep for a long time (owned or long-term-leased dirt), I'd opt for reinforced concrete masonry structure. Unbeatable in storm resistance, also much better for fire containment.

A steel building can be designed for just about any expected wind loading. They can be dismantled and reassembled on a new location. Foundation and mooring are going to be important for hurricane wind load resistance. Corrosion resistant coatings are available. Need a two or three door design to meet your requirement for three planes.

Cheap? not so much when compared to a structure that will blow away. Less costly than reinforced concrete (usually, I dunno shipping and import costs).

These are relatively cheap and can be moved (it's a pita)

http://steelarchbuildings.com/catalog/

but before you design the hangar you must consider the approach to the building. some hangars like the "T" design must have approach to both sides, some even have doors on all 4 sides.

Back