Handheld Transceiver

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
This will likely open a can of worms - but what should I be looking for when looking for a handheld transceiver? It seems the only way I have to gauge is cost relative to positive reviews. Is that all I need to know? I plan on using this handheld radio on the ground and possibly listen to comms pending ground reception and then also take along while flying as a backup.

Any general suggestions about what to stay away from or units I should definitely consider?

Thanks-
Benjamin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a vertex standard (now Yaesu) which I'm pretty happy with. I picked up a Sporty's for next to nothing as well. Both work fine for casual communications. For backup use, make sure it accepts (or has a pack that accepts) Alkaline AA's. Nothing worse than finding the batteries dead in the backup radio (been there, done that...wasn't my plane or radio by the way).

Do a search on this board, you'll find a lot of info.

The short version: There aren't too many brands to choose from. They are all built like tanks, they pretty much all have the same RX sensitivity, they all have the same TX power. It comes down to personal preference.

The differences:

Some are louder. That might not be a big deal when you hold it up to your head, but if you have it clipped to your waist on a noisy ramp, it can make a difference.

The user interface is different. Some are just easier to use than others.

Head over to the FBO and hit up some students and CFIs and see if you can borrow one or two for a couple minutes. Get the weather and do a radio check. That way you can change freqs and get a quick feel.

You can download the manuals and read up on the features.

edit: I have the Icom.

edit edit: another difference is water resistance ratings. Something to consider if you think you might be spending any time on the ramp in inclement weather while using the radio.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with both above. When I was shopping it seemed like iCom and Yaesu offered the best options for the price point in a handheld system.

I prefer Aircraft Spruce for those types of items.

If someone tries to get you to buy the JRC or Rexon (same radio), don't fall for it. Looks like a lot of radio for the money, but junk. I have one (well, the 3rd or 4th replacement for the one originally purchased).

I have used an Icom , no nav, in four different lsa aircraft. Secret is outside antenna mounted correctly with decent wiring. Works very well.

I bought a Vertex VXA-710 years ago because of the cool looking magnesium case and the fact that it can fit in your pocket with the antenna removed.

As for features, I just know that there are about 40 pages in the manual covering features I've never used. You can do virtually anything including changing the color of the LED indicator lights, something like 256 million choices there :rolleyes:

I bought the Yaesu 550 as a back up and to listen into comms at my local field while sat on my porch a couple of miles away from the field.
The product gets 10/10 for what I was looking for, the sales team get 0/10 .....I bought it via a distributor at The Sport expo at Sebring last year, the deal came with a $25 cash rebate once you mailed Yaesu a copy of the sales receipt.

I never did receive the rebate, and in fact I took it up with the Yaesu chief sales executive at Sun N Fun who promised to sort the issue out ....I'm still waiting, okay I'm not going broke over $25, and the rebate wasn't the make or break deal on me buying the Yaesu, but don't offer a deal of you don't intend to honor it.....

If someone tries to get you to buy the JRC or Rexon (same radio), don't fall for it. Looks like a lot of radio for the money, but junk. I have one (well, the 3rd or 4th replacement for the one originally purchased).

I HAVE ONE !!!! Original unit and it's alive and kicking 15 years later

Vertex 700 series nav/com, made in Japan, rechargeable battery and good build quality, been happy with it for a few years.

I've got an Icom a14. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

I have a couple of Icoms. I hate that they're not intuitive to use and that said, they're both different. Find one you like and learn how to use it. They all do the same thing but they do it differently.

I think that just about all of them will allow you to remove the OEM antenna and connect a cable to a lead for an external antenna. And also have adapters for connection of a headset. Since you intend to use the handheld as an emergency backup in the airplane, make certain that whichever model you select is capable of both of these things. And get together with your shop and have a remote antenna connection installed in the plane.

Otherwise short range with the OEM antenna from in the airplane and background noise using the built in microphone and speaker severely limit the utility of a handheld as an emergency backup. If you're cash strapped, start with the headset adapter and a cable to allow you to mount the OEM antenna against a window. Then upgrade to an external antenna connection.

I have a YAESU FTA-230. It seems to preform well. Have had it about 6 months, still carry a cheat sheet to program. I don't have an external antenna for it, I am sure it would really improve the range. Carry it as a back up.

Happy for you! It is jewel-like in its appearance (the radio, not the Revell-model AA battery case), just has not been reliable for me.

It still works... kinda.

Happy for you! It is jewel-like in its appearance (the radio, not the Revell-model AA battery case), just has not been reliable for me.

It still works... kinda.

It still works... kinda.

Mind is the JRC model with a Nickel Metal Hydride Battery from Batteries America. Keep a spare AA battery pack in the flight bag but never had to use it.

Must admit, the 12v adapter is sub par

Just used it on Sunday to call the fuel truck

I bought an iCon A14. Works great. Just need it as a backup. I can pick-up tower from airport 7 nm away. Amazon.com. $ 204 free shipping. Full warranty.

I have a YAESU FTA-230. It seems to preform well. Have had it about 6 months, still carry a cheat sheet to program. I don't have an external antenna for it, I am sure it would really improve the range. Carry it as a back up.

LOL. I have the same unit, and always have to go up to the owners manual on the Internet to remember how to program the damn thing.

It works, but it is not really user-friendly.

Back