Handheld GPS

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
While reading that thread about crashing handhelds I got to wondering what good is a handheld in the cockpit? You can't use it for IFR so it's no more than an electronic finger on a chart with a plotter.

Properly used, they can still lighten the workload considerably. Good peace of mind also, say when maneuvering close to controlled airspace. In an emergency, the nearest airport feature can instantly show you your closest "on field" option. Some are set up to show frequencies, VOR's and the like. Reassuring at night, and in general. Are they needed? Not really, but still I think a good tool to have in one's bag of tricks. I plan to pick one up (looking at the Av Map EKP IV as of now) this Summer.

Richard said:
While reading that thread about crashing handhelds I got to wondering what good is a handheld in the cockpit? You can't use it for IFR so it's no more than an electronic finger on a chart with a plotter.

Peace of mind. With my handheld GPS and com, I have a lot more options should the airplane electrics take a dump. Most of the time I still fly airways using VOR's, but I like that safety net backup.

I use my 96C as backup in case of total electrical failure. That way I can navigate to the VFR weather I kept my eye on. I also use it as an E6B to check on the winds and my progress. My favorite thing to do is to use the Garmin to find ASOS/AWOS station along my route to hear what the weather is doing. It's also great to find another ARTCC freq when the one I'm transmitting on doesn't seem to hear me, altho I can hear them.

Richard said:

I have a Garmin Pilot III GPS...not the fanciest or most expensive and not the cheapest either. It provides good backup. It allows me to stretch leg lengths when using VOR navigation for long trips (between Class Bs, the FRZ, Camp David and who knows what else I don't think I ever flown direct to anything more than 20 minutes away).

For VFR flying I would probably continue a flight or series of flights if for some otherwise innocuous reason my panel mounted nav radio(s) went out (ie they didn't fail because they are on fire). I don't have a panel mount GPS and for VFR only flight I don't see the need to spend the money on a panel mount GPS now.

I would feel comfortable with flying with the Garmin as a backup for "light IMC". If I flew IFR in IMC that required flying an ILS to get down I'd go with a higher end handheld GPS that portrayed instrument approaches (and when operating on the backup look for best weather within fuel range).

Len

T Bone said:
Properly used, they can still lighten the workload considerably. Good peace of mind also, say when maneuvering close to controlled airspace. In an emergency, the nearest airport feature can instantly show you your closest "on field" option. Some are set up to show frequencies, VOR's and the like. Reassuring at night, and in general. Are they needed? Not really, but still I think a good tool to have in one's bag of tricks. I plan to pick one up (looking at the Av Map EKP IV as of now) this Summer.

T-Bone,
Let me educate you, from experience. Don't buy the EKP IV. Get the Lowarnce 2000c . I have had both and wish I never got rid of my Lowarnce. I thought the nice big display on the EKP would be better. It is nicer, but their software sucks. I have had it crash on me once in flight. found wrong numbered runways..and airports 10 miles from where they are supposed to be. Their product support is lacking.
The Lowrance 2000c is a far superior product. the best I have used. not to mention, you can use it in your car with their street mapping software.

Michael

Richard said:

Having an IFR color GPS-MAP in the panel, my only use for a handheld is backup in case the panel unit dies in-flight (which happened once). OTOH if you are flying an airplane with nothing but VOR's for nav, a good handheld can improve IFR (and VFR for that matter) situational awareness immensely. With it you can keep track of the "big picture" with much less mental bandwidth and more clarity. For that purpose, an aviation specific model is essential.

You will also find that many controllers will cooperate with you on a psuedo direct clearance to a distant VOR (don't try this to anything you can't navigate to on your own once you get within range). Use the GPS to determine the course/heading and "suggest" that heading to ATC when requesting a vector direct clearance.

Another IFR use is planning route changes. I find it much easier to do this on a GPS than on the chart when in the air especially if the GPS has Victor airways in the DB.

Richard said:

It's a pleasure to have it in my bag. How far to go? How fast am I going? Can't receive the VOR at 2,000 feet? No problem, my little battery-operated Magellan that cost me $100 at Frye's Electronics knows the way. Limited accuracy? There is no problematic data base to be concerned with. If I enter the coordinates correctly, my Magellan is smack on. It holds as many airports and other locations that I need for the flying I do. Of course, I am VFR only.

Like they say, "whatever floats your boat". It works for me.

Jim

I loved my Lowrance Airmap 100 for both VFR and IFR flight. The Airmap has now been retired to the copilot's yoke while it drives the iPAQ on my yoke running AnywhereMap, the best handheld GPS solution out there, IMO. :) I wouldn't take a serious trip without it.

I find it's great to have a portable gps unit on board. In our previous plane we had it hard wired into the 430 so the route would crossfeed into the 196. We would then use the 196 to display the "feel good" numbers ground speed etc. so we would not have to wear out the right knob on the 430 going between pages :). Also since it has its own backup batteries it will be ready when all else fails.

Also I've used the 196 for over a year without any problems at all...I cannot say the same thing about 430's and 530's that I have used...

It's a very nice electronic finger on the chart :) It makes navigation a breeze, and frees my brain for other things. All I have to do is follow the line, and every now and then mark my position on a chart. The rest of the time, I can fly the plane. I can also go direct, freeing myself from zigzagging from one VOR to another.

I used mine (along with the wet compas) to find an airport after total electrical failure. I turn it on about once every 6 weeks just to keep current in operating the thing.

I have a Garmin 195 hard mounted and wired into the plane's electrical system. I keep batteries in it as back-up. On the few occassions I've had electrical failures, it has worked great as it switches to batteries when power fails. Its nice to have a back-up to charts and compass in that case.

Anthony said:
I have a Garmin 195 hard mounted and wired into the plane's electrical system. I keep batteries in it as back-up. On the few occassions I've had electrical failures, it has worked great as it switches to batteries when power fails. Its nice to have a back-up to charts and compass in that case.
...except when the distance to the hard mount increases as we fly east away from your mounting bracket... :rofl:

Re: Handheld GPS "Installation"

Anthony said:
I have a Garmin 195 hard mounted and wired into the plane's electrical system.

Note that when you do this, you have "altered" your aircraft, and if your local FSDO says this is a "major" alteration, you need approval on a 337 with an STC or field approval for the modifications to your aircraft. Bob Dillons's mounting brackets come with an STC to grease the skids, but the hard-wiring can be sticky if you have a difficult FSDO. OTOH, if you use velcro or a clamp to mount the GPS and a cigarette lighter plug for power, it's not "installed" and no paperwork is required.

We use them lots of times IFR to confirm situational awareness. The groundspeed readings alone are worth its cost, let alone the moving map, and entering waypoints features.

But it's best to learn all the guages and piloting first, then add GPS.

Richard said:

Lenny,

We use a Garmin Pilot III as well & I like it, but have never been able to get the screen clutter down to just airports, ideally without identifiers. Do you know if that is possible ?

Thanks

Len Lanetti said:
I have a Garmin Pilot III GPS...not the fanciest or most expensive and not the cheapest either. It provides good backup. It allows me to stretch leg lengths when using VOR navigation for long trips (between Class Bs, the FRZ, Camp David and who knows what else I don't think I ever flown direct to anything more than 20 minutes away).

For VFR flying I would probably continue a flight or series of flights if for some otherwise innocuous reason my panel mounted nav radio(s) went out (ie they didn't fail because they are on fire). I don't have a panel mount GPS and for VFR only flight I don't see the need to spend the money on a panel mount GPS now.

I would feel comfortable with flying with the Garmin as a backup for "light IMC". If I flew IFR in IMC that required flying an ILS to get down I'd go with a higher end handheld GPS that portrayed instrument approaches (and when operating on the backup look for best weather within fuel range).

Len

Dave Krall CFII said:
We use a Garmin Pilot III as well & I like it, but have never been able to get the screen clutter down to just airports, ideally without identifiers. Do you know if that is possible ?

Dave,

Sorry, I don't know. I know you can change what is displayed based on range selected but it has been a year or two since I fooled with those settings.

Len

Dave Krall CFII said:
Lenny,

Thanks

My 96C has a feature called "declutter", and it will allow you to reduce the amount of detail shown. I use mine in "clear-1" mostly, just showing airports, airspace, waterways, and state lines.

If you don't have your manual, Garmin has them in pdf form for download on their web site.

Bill Jennings said:
My 96C has a feature called "declutter", and it will allow you to reduce the amount of detail shown. I use mine in "clear-1" mostly, just showing airports, airspace, waterways, and state lines.

If you don't have your manual, Garmin has them in pdf form for download on their web site.

The garmin 196 also has this function which work just like the garmin panal mount systems do- normal, clr 1, 2, 3.

Ron Levy said:
Note that when you do this, you have "altered" your aircraft, and if your local FSDO says this is a "major" alteration, you need approval on a 337 with an STC or field approval for the modifications to your aircraft. Bob Dillons's mounting brackets come with an STC to grease the skids, but the hard-wiring can be sticky if you have a difficult FSDO. OTOH, if you use velcro or a clamp to mount the GPS and a cigarette lighter plug for power, it's not "installed" and no paperwork is required.

It was my understanding that if the "hardwire" connection is removable at the unit so it can be disconnected at any time and the installation of the wire was done by an avionics install place that it would be a legal addition.

Iceman said:
The garmin 196 also has this function which work just like the garmin panal mount systems do- normal, clr 1, 2, 3.

It was my understanding that if the "hardwire" connection is removable at the unit so it can be disconnected at any time and the installation of the wire was done by an avionics install place that it would be a legal addition.

WRT the Pilot III, IIRC you have to set the max scale you want to display a feature for each type of feature and this is done in one of the setup pages. You may only be able to access that menu from the map page as some of the menus are context sensitive.

As to the FAA requirements for a "hardwire install" the GPS itself doesn't count, just the mount and electrical hookups. I could be wrong, but I don't think the shops around here consider this a major mod requiring a 337 as it's just adding a CB and power cable plus the fixed part of the mount which is non-structural and really no different than adding a cup holder or a fire exinquisher.

Re: Handheld GPS "Installation"

Ron Levy said:

Ron,

Pat did this before I bought the plane from him. He had all the required approvals with the 337 and STC for Bob Dillon's mount. The only issue is now I have no cigarette lighter to plug in a Traffic Avoidance system or PDA for weather. The 195 is connected to that and also has a seperate fuse, which is labelled "195". Pat was very good about the paperwork for all the mods he did which, as you know, include Red Rudder Cap, Split nosebowl, larger oil cooler, Skytec lighweight starter and a few others I'm prolly forgetting.

Thanks anyway,

We've been all through the pages & settings with no luck...

I got used to just ARPT dots & IDS on my old Magellen & I like that. No big deal though, better to have too much than not enough...
Len Lanetti said:
Dave,

Sorry, I don't know. I know you can change what is displayed based on range selected but it has been a year or two since I fooled with those settings.

Len

Okay, y'all have expressed your thoughts well. But....

You mean it takes too much "mental bandwidth" to navigate off route or to go direct? This is VFR flight! What else you got going on that you're so busy in a VFR cockpit?

And that segues nicely into what Lance said...

Lance brings up increased SA. That would be perhaps the only reason why I'd carry a non-certified GPS in the VFR cockpit. However, I don't think I'm anything special and I'll be dipped if I can't find my location at any given time on a flight.

All you have to do is ask any controller for ground speed, or do it the old fashioned way; T/D=R. To each his own, I like to keep my mind engaged making clacs for WCA, ETA, GS, and the like. Learning how to push buttons only teaches you how to push buttons.

And it's either VMC or IMC, one or the other. You either have the required vis or you don't. No non-slash G unit is gonna help in that instance. Lemme guess, head down too? Sorry for sounding so brusque.

I've seen too many pilots missing the flight, merely along for the ride, because they're seemingly too consumed with the buttons which...must...be...pushed.

(I'm actually a quite pleasant fellow...)

Richard said:
I've seen too many pilots missing the flight, merely along for the ride, because they're seemingly too consumed with the buttons which...must...be...pushed.
I would definitely agree with you on this, but I also think you have to differentiate between flights intended for transportation and what I'd call recreational flights (for lack of a better term). When I'm flying the Citabria low and slow enough to have the window open, and smelling the scent of the land, I love having the "non-slash golf" unit, as you call it. It allows me to indulge my senses on the flight and then, when it's time to go home, I can push direct and see how far away I am and decide whether I have enough time to go back the same way or whether I have to button it up and goose up the power. I'm excellent at pilotage and can find my location on the sectional in a snap. But on a flight like this why complicate things that don't need to be complicated?

However, in a serious transportation mode, whether IFR or VFR, there are far more important navigational aspects to deal with. In that case, I usually don't even take the handheld out of the flight bag (unless it's needed, which so far, thankfully, it has not been in 17 years of flying).

Richard, I agree with you, unless you are attempting to shoot the 5 mile gap between two restricted (hot) areas. Pilotage is great, but its very comforting to have MULTIPLE sources telling you that the flyboys above are not dropping heavy ordnance on your head. (Speaking from experience).

Sometimes the ATC folks are not that willing to hold the hand of a VFR person....

I have a Lowrance Air Map 300. I usually don't set it up as most planes I fly now have GNS430s. But it is a very good unit has an alkaline and rechargeable battery pack as well as a cigarette lighter plug in. Its easy to use and fun. I mostly fly IFR now just to get used to the system so granted I can't use it for IFR nav but I feel its a great back up. If you use it to lighten your VFR work load or to give you an enhanced sense of security then that's a good reason to have on. I would not however go out and purchase a very expensive brand new model as you can find many used models and refurbished GPSs for very reasonable prices.

Iceman said:

When I had my Tiger I had one of Dillon's brackets in it. When I asked
him about legality .. he said only one of the 1100 people he'd sold it
to worried about it. So neither did I. As for power .. when I had the
avionics shop remove the non functioning DME head he just rerouted
the power cable to a jack I could plug into the GPS and logged it.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 296. It's a wonderful tool in flight. In many ways, it is better and easier to use than a 430 in the panel. The display is nicer and more detailed.

It's just you have to realize that these things can and do fail, sometimes unexpectedly. I have found myself tempted to just punch in my waypoints and leave the charts in the bag. Fooling around with it and crashing it, proved a point to me, that indeed, I better have the charts open and at least a VOR dialed in even when I'm using the GPS.

Just a word to the wise: Always have a backup.

larrysb said:
I better have the charts open and at least a VOR dialed in even when I'm using the GPS.

Just a word to the wise: Always have a backup.

Last week, I was flying north towards my destination, VFR GPS direct. Well, I guess the aircraft roof (172) blocked the GPS antenna, and I lost reception. But, I already had the destination VOR (6mi away from field) dialed in, and the chart open, so no sweat. Fine tune the OBS, change course to the VOR, and continue.

Anthony said:
Note of caution and maybe a checklist item.

If you leave your garmin plugged into airplane power and the airplane power fails you will not get a warning that you are on batteries. You get the warning if you have been on external power and it goes away but if you power on in battery mode you never get the warning.

BTDT - 3 hours into a x/c the Garmin gave me low battery warning. I played hell changing the batteries while flying. Of course I could have safely completed the flight using steam navigation. Turned out to be a bad connection in the lighter wiring.

Now when using the Garmin plugged into an outlet I check the status page and confirm external power is working.

Dan Deutsch said:
Note of caution and maybe a checklist item.

If you leave your garmin plugged into airplane power and the airplane power fails you will not get a warning that you are on batteries. You get the warning if you have been on external power and it goes away but if you power on in battery mode you never get the warning.

BTDT - 3 hours into a x/c the Garmin gave me low battery warning. I played hell changing the batteries while flying. Of course I could have safely completed the flight using steam navigation. Turned out to be a bad connection in the lighter wiring.

Now when using the Garmin plugged into an outlet I check the status page and confirm external power is working.
Yep, me, too. Broke a wire to the lighter plugin as well. I was just about home when I got the low battery warning.

Back