Hand Held Computer/PDA Question

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these things and don't know where to start. I am somewhat computer literate but not very (have assembled a couple of PCs). I've have just never been interested in the handdhelds.

I am thinking of it for a Christmas present for my wife. She is definitely not technology friendly. I thought I'd never get her weened from the electric typewriter. She is a book collector and when we hit used book sales, she carries (no, she brings, I carry) a notebook full of spreadsheet to make sure she doesn't buy something that she already has. A handheld computer with the spreadsheet seems like it would be a lot more convenient than hard copy.

The bottom line requirement would be something with a simple user interface that could handle a not really big spreadsheet (actually - a database). Then the specification creep starts in. Gee, if it didn't cost much more. maybe something that would accept a GPS input and a map program, etc, etc. Bluetooth or Wifi not a requirement. Digital camera and/or cell phone not a requirement.

Any suggestions on brands and models I should be considering??

Bobby Day said:

I am thinking of it for a Christmas present for my wife. She is definitely not technology friendly. I thought I'd never get her weened from the electric typewriter. She is a book collector and when we hit used book sales, she carries (no, she brings, I carry) a notebook full of spreadsheet to make sure she doesn't buy something that she already has. A handheld computer with the spreadsheet seems like it would be a lot more convenient than hard copy.

The bottom line requirement would be something with a simple user interface that could handle a not really big spreadsheet (actually - a database). Then the specification creep starts in. Gee, if it didn't cost much more. maybe something that would accept a GPS input and a map program, etc, etc. Bluetooth or Wifi not a requirement. Digital camera and/or cell phone not a requirement.

Any suggestions on brands and models I should be considering??
One the fun facts is that Palm's Doc2Go suite handles Microsoft Office documents better than Pocket Excel, Pocket Word, etc on Microsoft's Pocket PCs. They transfer in and out unscathed on the Palm better.

Your wife might like the Palm Zire 72 or Palm E2. http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/
Jann has the E2 and loves it. You can get Palm E2 for ~$175 at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/palmOne_Tungsten_E2_Handheld_PDA/q/loc/101/10407645.html

I don't have any issues moving files back and forth on my PocketPC. I like the landscape option for the screen with Excel files. Easy to switch back and forth.

You might consider ListPro if you go the PocketPC route. It's more of a searchable database, with some ready-to-download custom templates for specific collecting (or you can build your own). I'd take it over Excel any day!

I have been using Pocket PC's for about 5 years and they would perform your task quite well. My wife has had a Palm PDA for the last couple years and I think it would work as well. She prefer's the Palm because she likes things simple. I prefer the PPC because I like the flexability to add applications to do all sorts of things. For instance I have an app that makes the PPC an acoustical Tachometer, I can run Anywhere Map and other aviation apps.

Depending on how much of a technical geek your wife is she might be happier with a Palm.

I've had both palm and pocketpc.

Which one I would choose really depends on what you are after.

If you are after just contact / appointment / normal PDA stuff. I'd go palm.

PocketPC, like lance said, gives you flexibility. It's basically like a mini laptop. I don't consider it to be near as snappy, or .....smoooth feeling as the palm.

Your wife has the same problem as mine; Book Crazy!
Just put a stop to it, Bobby. "No More Books, sorry"
;)
she is laughing at me right now!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Your wife has the same problem as mine; Book Crazy!
Just put a stop to it, Bobby. "No More Books, sorry"
;)
she is laughing at me right now!

If I tried that, I'd end up loking like New Orleans after Katrina

mikea said:
One the fun facts is that Palm's Doc2Go suite handles Microsoft Office documents better than Pocket Excel, Pocket Word, etc on Microsoft's Pocket PCs. They transfer in and out unscathed on the Palm better.

Your wife might like the Palm Zire 72 or Palm E2. http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/
Jann has the E2 and loves it. You can get Palm E2 for ~$175 at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/palmOne_Tungsten_E2_Handheld_PDA/q/loc/101/10407645.html

Is the Doc2Go suite part of the package or is it a separate purchase? Can I down load an Excel spreadsheet from a PC to it?

Last edited:
Bobby Day said:
If I tried that, I'd end up loking like New Orleans after Katrina

Is the Doc2Go suite part of the package or is it a separate purchase? Can I down load an Excel spreadsheet from a PC to it?
It's bundled with the "business" versions, i.e. Tungstens or Treos. There's a chart there on the Palm site that shows which models come with it. I think the Zires don't get it because those are consumer models.

You can buy it for $29.95: http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&prodid=29707

Back