Half Snaps

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
One more snap video. These are definitely more challenging than full snaps. A few here on 45, level, and vertical lines. I still kinda suck at vertical up snaps. They're the hardest of all, since the horizon is just a horizontal blur with a constantly changing attitude, so orientation is difficult....more so than vertical aileron rolls. But you only find vertical up snaps in the Unlimited Category, which is beyond the performance capabilities of my little S-1S...and its pilot. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lIYFRYDGM&feature=youtu.be

I don't do snaps, they make me puke lol. I can go outside hard enough to turn the whites of my eyes red for a week and make me look like a demon no problems lol, but a couple of snaps and I'm filling a bag. Nice video BTW.

Thanks for posting. I really need to work on my snaps, but am spending all my practice time on the sportsman sequence. I'll have to see what the judges think of my sportsman skills, but I really want to be flying intermediate by the end of the season.

BTW, you are right about the landings being as much fun as acro! Do you ever wheel land yours?

BTW, you are right about the landings being as much fun as acro! Do you ever wheel land yours?

I've done a handful of them in the Pitts just for the helluvit. Not to spark a generic wheel landing vs. 3-point debate, but IMO, wheel landing a Pitts is an exercise in extreme pointlessness and extra runway usage. But the airshow guys do it because it looks "cooler". Every so often I'll do one just for the challenge of getting that stiff bungee gear to kiss the runway smoothly with no bouncing. I see yours has spring gear and the Haigh tailwheel, which gives it very different landing characteristics. But these wheelies were just for fun. There are bunch of reasons I feel they're pointless in the Pitts. I generally prefer 3-pointers in any airplane, but I'm not totally biased. I'll wheel the Cub when direct x-wind gets into the 20's.

Last edited:
Nice, really enjoying the videos you've put up, makes me look forward to getting some acro training soon

I've done a handful of them in the Pitts just for the helluvit. Not to spark a generic wheel landing vs. 3-point debate, but IMO, wheel landing a Pitts is an exercise in extreme pointlessness and extra runway usage. But the airshow guys do it because it looks "cooler". Every so often I'll do one just for the challenge of getting that stiff bungee gear to kiss the runway smoothly with no bouncing. I see yours has spring gear and the Haigh tailwheel, which gives it very different landing characteristics. But these wheelies were just for fun. There are bunch of reasons I feel they're pointless in the Pitts. I generally prefer 3-pointers in any airplane, but I'm not totally biased. I'll wheel the Cub when direct x-wind gets into the 20's.

I agree that most of the time the 3-point is the best way to go. But I really enjoyed the challenge of learning to wheel land mine. I think my 3-point landing are better now that I have gotten the wheel landings down.

Back