Half Moon Bay for Mavricks this Sunday

Yeah, I brought up earlier there's no good way to see the surfing from shore, you either have to be on a boat or down low in the air, it's not a beach break. Even on the jetty you aren't particularly close.

Well, with the current rules. I have seen some good contests from the shore in Huntington Beach and the atmosphere was much better.

Well, with the current rules. I have seen some good contests from the shore in Huntington Beach and the atmosphere was much better.

Huntington is a beach break though. I guess they throw out all the Nazi surf punks who normally inhabit the waters there? The breaks in SoCal are pretty territorial....

Huntington is a beach break though. I guess they throw out all the Nazi surf punks who normally inhabit the waters there? The breaks in SoCal are pretty territorial....

No, there was a riot one year back in the early eighties, when I was there. It is a beach break, but the contest was at the pier, which breaks further out. This was a professional contest, so the normal territorial stuff is non applicable.

I wanted to go, but I got caught up in stuff back at the ranch and didn't get freed up until it was too late in the afternoon to bother going.

Well, it's a day late, but I was at KHAF on Saturday. There WAS a NOTAM. The south transient ramp was closed, but the airport was otherwise open.

You could see the swells clearly from the air. Looked like fabulous conditions.

It was a very nice day.

Well, it's a day late, but I was at KHAF on Saturday. There WAS a NOTAM. The south transient ramp was closed, but the airport was otherwise open.

You could see the swells clearly from the air. Looked like fabulous conditions.

It was a very nice day.

I talked to some fishermen and they said it was actually bigger on Saturday than Sunday. I guess they got a few bigger sets towards the end of the day, though. The South ramp was completely taken over by cars and meandering pedestrians. The gate was propped open and they had removed the sign that had the gate code.

From 1800 feet
zymenehe.jpg

There is so much to do at HAF. Having the folding bikes allowed us to explore quite a bit and make a day of it. So many times I've been concerned about getting fogged in or returning a rental. Think I'm going to start acquiring used camping gear and keeping it in the plane.
u8e6y7u9.jpg
u8upypab.jpg

Back safely on the ground at the old T's in Oakland

:eek:
From 1800 feet
zymenehe.jpg

There is so much to do at HAF. Having the folding bikes allowed us to explore quite a bit and make a day of it. So many times I've been concerned about getting fogged in or returning a rental. Think I'm going to start acquiring used camping gear and keeping it in the plane.

Back safely on the ground at the old T's in Oakland

I always kept camping gear in the nose of my Travelair and tool box in the back.

I have done some camping around CA with my plane, but it is not always easy getting to a camp spot from the plane. Oceano and Georgetown have camping on the field. Pine Mountain Lake is 2 or 3 miles. I camped near LLR, but that wasn't very good for tent camping and I had to take the shuttle down there. I camped near Humboldt, but I had to rent a car in Eureka to get there. I usually just take my backpacking gear. It is light and carries easily.

I really want to get one of those Montague bikes. I can get my road bike in the plane but I have to take both wheels off.

We must have walked right by each other John. I should have checked the board prior to leaving. I arrived and left about the same time as you.

We must have walked right by each other John. I should have checked the board prior to leaving. I arrived and left about the same time as you.

I guess we should have tried to make a flyin out of it. I had my ex FIL with me (an old surfer from way back). It was definately a fun day. The weather gods smiled on us.:yes: The whole Maverick's thing was kind of a waste, though, other than the t-shirt I picked up for my GF. As we head towards spring, we should probably put something together. I wouldn't mind going back to LLR, or maybe a day in Monterey or Columbia or something.

Lets do it. I haven't been to Monterey or Columbia for a while. I've yet to check out Shelter Cove.

I think Shelter Cove is best as an overnight. I was just there a few weeks ago and love it. I posted a new thread to get the ball rolling on a Flyin for NorCal. It is called "NorCal Flyin".

I think Shelter Cove is best as an overnight. I was just there a few weeks ago and love it. I posted a new thread to get the ball rolling on a Flyin for NorCal. It is called "NorCal Flyin".

Bring warm camping gear any time of year, it can get bloody cold there when the fog rolls in.... It's a beautiful spot though.

Bring warm camping gear any time of year, it can get bloody cold there when the fog rolls in.... It's a beautiful spot though.

There are a couple of nice hotels in walking distance. I might try the camping in the summer, though. I have stayed at the Inn of the Lost Coast twice and would recommend it.

There are a couple of nice hotels in walking distance. I might try the camping in the summer, though. I have stayed at the Inn of the Lost Coast twice and would recommend it.

A room with heat and a hot shower is definitely a worthy consideration....;)

Back