Had my first G1000 failure:

3 in the green

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
c170b
Just a short local hop in a DA40...and about 30 mins in I get a HDG red x....HDG on the pfd failed. :D I'm just glad I didn't really need it. Have yet to hear what the cause was.

Usually, the adahars stops communicating to the main processor. Pretty rare occurance. Cycle it on and off and it should reset, but in an IFR situation it could be interesting.

I think this is a reportable "incident" as the FAA wants to know about glass panel I flight failures. ;)

Geico, I think it's the NTSB who asked for this, and I don't think this qualifies, in the way that a full display failure does. What I recall is:

A complete loss of information, excluding flickering, from more than 50 percent of an aircraft's cockpit displays known as Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) displays, Engine Indication and Crew Alerting system (EICAS) displays, Electronic Centralized Aircraft Monitor (ECAM) displays, or other displays of this type, which generally include a primary flight display (PFD), primary navigation display (PND), and other integrated displays.

Yeah, it was pretty strange, only HDG affected, everything else worked fine. I will also add that it was intermittent for a minute or so before total failure without coming back online. I didn't bother doing anything about it at the time since I was just putzing around and had zero use for heading information as displayed by the HI.

I also had two first-time px with me and didn't want to make a scene or think anything of it when it wasn't necessary to do so.

Question - did you go to the status page on the MFD to see what (if any) components were marked as bad?

Before the flight? Yes. During? Maybe a good idea for next time - but no, I was busy flying the plane and showing some first timers the sights. It wasn't a big deal under the circumstances I was flying. Squawked it and let the FBO deal with fixing it.

Back