HA! An Aviation Post from me!!!

poadeleted1

Deleted by request
Alright....all you Blue Angel/Thunderbird fans and fanatics... ya gotta
appreciate the skills of these guys flying Russian designed aircraft....
Take a Good Look at the two following pics........Then ask......

"How Close is Close...??":hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

(or "If you're gonna fly, you're gonna die". Bevo Howard)

Attachments

• close 1.jpg
    close 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 79
  • close2.jpg
    close2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 88
F.W. Birdman said:
Alright....all you Blue Angel/Thunderbird fans and fanatics... ya gotta
appreciate the skills of these guys flying Russian designed aircraft....
Take a Good Look at the two following pics........Then ask......

"How Close is Close...??":hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

(or "If you're gonna fly, you're gonna die". Bevo Howard)

They look pretty close alright but...there's something vaguely obsene about the photos. :eek::goofy:

Frank Browne said:
They look pretty close alright but...there's something vaguely obsene about the photos. :eek::goofy:

Not sure about your last comment but the closeness is related to a loss of perspective fromt he telphoto lens. My guess is that these planes are not anywhere near as close as they appear in the photo. I'd be willing to bet that they are side by side and one in front of the other in the two shots.

Frank Browne said:
When one airplane loves another airplane very much...

smigaldi said:
Not sure about your last comment but the closeness is related to a loss of perspective fromt he telphoto lens. My guess is that these planes are not anywhere near as close as they appear in the photo. I'd be willing to bet that they are side by side and one in front of the other in the two shots.

I am no camera geek or photo intel guy, but they are still darn close for big aiplanes with all that open sky around them.

Greebo said:
When one airplane loves another airplane very much...

Maybe they are young airplanes.

"Puuuuuuberty loooove...."

Extra credit to anyone who can name the movie that song is from.

F.W. Birdman said:
I am no camera geek or photo intel guy, but they are still darn close for big aiplanes with all that open sky around them.
Thats the trick - it's all about perspective. They fly in a formation arrangement that *looks* to the people on the ground as though they're almost touching, but in reality they're probably quite a few yards apart. (Thanks to Ron Levy btw for explaining to me how they did that at Lancaster :) )

Sure, several yards is close but these guys drill close formation flying regularly. They're always keeping a close eye on each other, ready to break off in the safest possible direction at any sign of deviation from the expected.

Great shots btw. :)

The second photo (back-to-back) appears to have enough lateral separation that the upright pilot can see the inverted plane and remain clear. The first one (belly-to-belly), however, looks real scary -- I don't see how the wingman can see lead (no matter which one is lead/wing) even if they have more nose-tail separation than it appears.

I think the first photo is of a "switchback pass" where the two planes initally head directly toward the crowd line, offset by a couple of plane length, then roll 90 in opposite directions, and pull to separate before reaching the dead line. The photo has caught them at the approximately 90 degree point.

The Blues have been doing that for years. They count and call the pull over the radio.

I actually communicated with Vissers (the photog) a while back when these showed up somewhere else and some folks were claiming photoshop - while there may be some perspective help in the photos, he says that what you see is what he saw and took a picture of.

Aviation post . . . congrats, b'man. :D

Get a copy of "The Magic of Flight" and you'll see that not only do The Blue Angel's wings overlap laterally and stay only 2-3 feet apart off the surfaces, that distance varies slightly as they bounce in the turbulence. :hairraise:

Not me, sir. I had enough with the vortex wake trying to toss me on my back when I was just following the pair ahead.

mikea said:
Get a copy of "The Magic of Flight" and you'll see that not only do The Blue Angel's wings overlap laterally and stay only 2-3 feet apart off the surfaces, that distance varies slightly as they bounce in the turbulence. :hairraise:

Not me, sir. I had enough with the vortex wake trying to toss me on my back when I was just following the pair ahead.

Mike,

That's why THEY do it and WE don't!!!!

I was wondering. What do you do if you're one of those pilots and
the other guys says .. "I've got to sneeze" .....

Back