GYY Gary/Chicago pirep

mikegreen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mike g.
(as posted on the red board, which many of us avoid except for finding just the facts)

Flew into Gary KGYY yesterday and out today in the 182RG... had some works to do in South Loop of Chicago.

You can read the below - or the summary: B.Coleman FBO: Great folks, great price on fuel, quick in and out to Chicago.

First, GYY tower is always nice. Always has been when using them as a waypoint going to WI or lakeshore viewing.. They are GA friendly and seem to know well how to get you in or out if its trafficy.

I have flown into and used the Gary Jet Center FBO before - they were good. Took me to the train, chocked the plane, didnt get fuel as it was pricey at the time (2013 early).

This trip, I saw a new FBO on the field, B.Coleman Aviation. They listed $4.60 100LL on airnav... I wanted to confirm it, and did so with a post on their facebook page a day before, which they replied to saying $4.60.. I pay 5.89 at MGY and I think every other Chicago area airport was 6-7, with Midway at $8.19 (signature was $8.50).

I flew in yesterday late afternoon, timing to be there 30 mins before the South Shore train left the Gary Airport station... Landed, was greeted with an SUV and friendly folks... driven thru the gate to the "trailers" - which are nicer than most FBO's permanent buildings - and did a minute of registration. Then off to the train where they waited until it came...

Today, called (as they requested) when I was one stop before the Gary Airport stop (I was coming from downtown Chicago, about a 40-45 minute ride from the south end of the park on 11th st), about a minute after getting off the train, they pulled up to take me the 1/2 mile or so to the FBO..
Sidenote: the train is family and out-of-towner friendly. $6 ride, easy to get anywhere near the tourist areas in Chicago... I debated getting a car which was $45 for the night and next day, but didn't want to pay the $58 parking at my hotel in Chicago...

Anyhow... on getting back to the FBO from the train - Met a few more folks in the FBO - amazingly friendly - snacks, drinks, etc are all offered...
I swear they give these people a happy drug. Everyone is so nice.
I paid for fuel (at only 35 cents a gallon than I filled up my car for yesterday) and was on my way. Easy departure in 19kts gusting to 34kts :)

I highly recommend the Coleman folks. They are building a huge honking hangar/fbo/arrivals place (done in June?), but even the temp setup now is fantastic. If they had a restaurant onsite it'd be a golden ticket for a fly in! :)

Back