Gust Lock

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Anyone got an old gust lock they don't use?
(for C150)

Let me know.

Thanks

small diameter screw driver with big huge remove before flight tag should do the job

Let me be more specific --- A RUDDER gust lock not a control.

Thanks

CapeCodJay said:
Let me be more specific --- A RUDDER gust lock not a control.

Thanks

Take two pieces of plastic plumbing pipe that are 3/4" diameter and long enough to cover the entire rudder and extend befor and after by a few inches. Drill holes in the ends of the pipes and fasten both pipe together with threaded rod a couple of bolts. On the other side of the pipes drill another hole and insert a bolt with a wing nut to fasten it. Then cover the pipe with pipe insulation.

To use this contraption you sandwich the tail and rudder between the pipes and close the contraptions and twist the wing nut until tight. Cheap and it works.

This is a slightly different version but it will help illustrate the point.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/dot/school/gustlock/L-23rudderlock.htm

yep, or a couple of 1x1 boards, real flexible, with string to tie the ends together. we use those on the club gliders that we tie out, works like a charm.

Hey thanks Scott!

I might just make a trip to Home Depot!

You guys are the best!

CapeCodJay said:
Hey thanks Scott!

I might just make a trip to Home Depot!

You guys are the best!
Paint them bright, Jason! I don't want to be reading the NTSB report about a 150 that wasn't able to maintain directional control on takeoff due to the pilot forgetting to remove the rudder gust lock.

Just some insight...
Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
Paint them bright, Jason! I don't want to be reading the NTSB report about a 150 that wasn't able to maintain directional control on takeoff due to the pilot forgetting to remove the rudder gust lock.

Do huh?

A 150 will takeoff just fine with your feet flat on the floor and/or holding the rudder straight. The ball will be out of it's box but it won't cause you to crash. As long as it doesn't interfere with the elevator you can probably fly all the way across the country with it on. Very dumb, lacks class, no points for style, but very possible.

HPNPilot1200 said:

Just some insight...
Jason
If it was a Piper the pilot might not notice for an hour or two...maybe at the first crosswind landing.

fgcason said:
Very dumb, lacks class, no points for style
...my point exactly. I don't really care how well it'd perform with it in flight, all I care about is that it is not forgotten. It could end up being not safe, and that's not the situation many of us want to be in. I never mentioned anything about crashing, did I?

I have no doubt in my mind that leaving the gust lock in may very likely not present a problem, but it's not something I recommend; hence my post.

Fly safe,
Jason

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
I never mentioned anything about crashing, did I?

This bit:
HPNPilot1200 said:
I don't want to be reading the NTSB report about a 150 that wasn't able to maintain directional control on takeoff due to the pilot forgetting to remove the rudder gust lock.
NTSB reports generally involve ballups. Close enough.

if the rudder is truly locked, it would be mighty tough to turn out onto the runway. the rudder pedals shouldnt move with the rudder locked.

I use a telescoping paint roller (Home Depot) that I removed the roller from. The remaining rod fits perfectly across the rudder pedals and I brace the handle against the step (or the seat) in the floor. This assembly basically locks the pedals in neutral and keeps the rudder from flopping side to side. You'll never take off with it in place.

oooo good idea. a thingymajob (highly technical term) that you hang clothes or curtains on would work the same.

Back