GTN650 & PMA8000B Install Questions

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Anyone got a feel on number of hours to install a GTN650 + Accompanying CDI and a PMA8000B audio panel?

We are replacing some very dated equipment, so I know some time is going to be spent removing old wiring behind the panel and cleaning up.

But I wanted to get a sense of what's considered reasonable.

Our current set of estimates are showing costs of the hardware to be about the same from install shop to install shop. The current big variable of cost is labor install. Hopefully your answers will give us a feel of what's needed to do a good job to install.

Anyone got a feel on number of hours to install a GTN650 + Accompanying CDI and a PMA8000B audio panel?

We are replacing some very dated equipment, so I know some time is going to be spent removing old wiring behind the panel and cleaning up.

But I wanted to get a sense of what's considered reasonable.

Our current set of estimates are showing costs of the hardware to be about the same from install shop to install shop. The current big variable of cost is labor install. Hopefully your answers will give us a feel of what's needed to do a good job to install.

Most shops should have it done in about 6 months....

It depends on how good of a cleanup of the old gear they do and if they build a panel plate or just scab together with what's there. Getting rid of all the old wiring and three generations of boxes in the nose and behind the panel is what took the lions share of time on my panel.

If it helps any, here is a recent photo showing what were starting with.

v35panel.jpg

Doesn't show what's behind the panel ;) I'd guess somewhere between 60 and 80 hrs.

While the engine was being overhauled a couple years ago I had 10 lbs of wiring removed from everywhere, not just the panel. About 6-8 hours to remove and re-route, altho I had done a lot of the tracing. Many years ago I had the PMA6000 installed, took another 6-8 hours. So it was almost a clean install to the new SL30, the new TKM replacement for the old (and not working Narco 12), the new VOR/GS, and of course the intercom but leaving the old wiring (to be removed 12 years later). Don't know about the differences with the PMA8000. I think the major effort will be removing the old crap. I agree with Henning that to do it right, creating the panel will simplify both the installation and later upgrades not to mention troubleshooting down the road.

If you have room and are interested, take a look at FastStack:

http://approachfaststack.com/

If I had known about them when I first got the cherokee, it would have been a serious consideration.

Last edited:
Thanks for the FastStack recco... we're considering future upgrades that might include the Aspen. So our discussions have included what is possible to make future additions less of a hassle. This looks like a possible solution for that.

I just did this upgrade to my arrow. I dont have a breakdown of the actual hours, but I know what my labor costs was if that is of any help to you.

By the way, after flying with this setup I am very spoiled. It was worth every penny.

I just did this upgrade to my arrow. I dont have a breakdown of the actual hours, but I know what my labor costs was if that is of any help to you.

By the way, after flying with this setup I am very spoiled. It was worth every penny.

If you could share those costs plus the name of the shop who did the work, that would be appreciated. Send a PM if you don't feel comfortable sharing in public.

Did the purchase of the GTN650 include a database subscription as part of the deal? Or do we need to budget for that?

Did the purchase of the GTN650 include a database subscription as part of the deal? Or do we need to budget for that?

You will get a certificate for one free database update from garmin. That will update all of the databases on the gtn.

Budget for it, you get one free, but the one you get to start with is probably expired, mine was.:mad2: I did get Garmin to give me another one, so I got almost 60 days "free";) If you have room, put in the 750, much bigger, easier to use screen.:D More of a difference than the 430-530 to me.:D

Budget for it, you get one free, but the one you get to start with is probably expired, mine was.:mad2: I did get Garmin to give me another one, so I got almost 60 days "free";) If you have room, put in the 750, much bigger, easier to use screen.:D More of a difference than the 430-530 to me.:D

Yep, remember this is a touch screen where you can work your routes by rubber banding, The screen size of the 650 really restricts it's functionality in many regards.

Back