GTN 750 Wrong Date

Shawn Trout

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ICURNVS
Hello! I am using a GTN 750 that won't show the correct date. Time is correct and GPS signal is acquired but the date currently show 23-MAY-03. Because the date is wrong, none of the databases will update correctly. Anybody have any ideas on how to correct this issue?

Main Software Version: 6.71
GPS/WAAS Software version: 5.3
NAV Software Version: 6.03

Thanks for any help!

I don't have one, so I can't help,
but have you seen this?

https://www.xxxmanualslib.com/manual/442986/Garmin-Gtn-750.html?page=353

edit: It worked for me once, but when I tried to go there again I got virus warnings and messges to call support right away to walk me through fixing it. So I added an xxx to the link to disable it.

I think I'll reboot and scan my computer just in case.

Thanks for the reply JOhnH! I have read through this section of the manual but it states that the date is supposed to be set by the GPS. For some reason, that's not happening.

Date/Time
The Date/Time setting provides selection of time format (local or UTC; 12-
or 24-hour). UTC (also called "GMT" or "Zulu") date and time are calculated
directly from the GPS satellites' signals and cannot be changed.

Thanks for the reply JOhnH! I have read through this section of the manual but it states that the date is supposed to be set by the GPS. For some reason, that's not happening.

Date/Time
The Date/Time setting provides selection of time format (local or UTC; 12-
or 24-hour). UTC (also called "GMT" or "Zulu") date and time are calculated
directly from the GPS satellites' signals and cannot be changed.
I didn't see that. When I went back to read it I got a cryptic virus scam message (as I added to my post immediately).
Sorry I can't help.

Hello! I am using a GTN 750 that won't show the correct date. Time is correct and GPS signal is acquired but the date currently show 23-MAY-03. Because the date is wrong, none of the databases will update correctly. Anybody have any ideas on how to correct this issue?

Thanks for any help!
So strange, I have seen this same problem with a BK KSN770. Like you, I was told this was supposedly impossible as the unit sync time with GPS satellites. Honeywell/BK never found or had a solution other than unit replacement when available. It will be interesting to see the solution Garmin has, maybe a summation of the time offset.

Last edited:

Thanks for any help!
It sure sounds like a software issue that should have been corrected. In fact, there was a date issue that should be correct in your version. (5.3)
****************************************************************************************************
GTN Main Software Version 6.70
COMPLIANCE:

Optional: This Service Bulletin may be incorporated at the owner’s discretion and is not warranty reimbursable.

PURPOSE:
This STC Service Bulletin announces the approval of
  • GTN 6XX/7XX Main Software Version 6.70
    • GTN 6XX/7XX Main Software Version 6.70 is required to maintain compatibility if a GTN Xi unit is interfaced as a cross-side navigator
  • GPS/WAAS Software Version 5.3
    • Corrects a GPS date issue
    **************************************************************************************************************
Are you sure you posted the correct SW versions?
Have you talked to Garmin, or a Garmin dealer?

Hello! thank you for the replies! I noticed the updates notes also for the 6.70 update saying "Corrects a GPS date Issue". very coincidental to me. but I've verified that my software versions have had this update. i've included pictures showing this.

Garmin did finally write back. their response, "You will need to bring the GTN 750 to a Garmin Dealer so they can reset the GPS clock internally in the GTN." Great, my Garmin/Avionics dealer can't get to it for 4 months :rolleyes:

Reading through the manuals, I found a way to get into a diagnostics menu on the GTN. Manual says, "WAAS Diagnostics This page displays the WAAS engine status, including UTC date/time, current Lat/Lon, overall navigation status, oscillator temperature, and AGC voltage. This page allows the GPS/WAAS engine to be reset."

Hoping resetting the GPS/WAAS engine will get it to do a redownload of satellite information.

20230106_115326.jpg
20230106_115704a.jpg

Hello! Wanted to give an update and a solution to my issue! I was able to find instructions on getting into the diagnostics/config menu of the GTN 750. By holding down the home button during power on, I was able to get into the config menu of the GTN 750. In there, I was able to navigate to the WAAS/GPS Diagnostics menu where there was a reset option for the WAAS Engine. After reset, the correct date, time, and new satellite mapping was downloaded! Restarted the GTN and my map databases finally updated!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Back