GTN 650 reception

Patrick Bolte

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Patrick Bolte
I recently had a GTN 650 installed in my plane. This replaced a non-WAAS 430 and my original comm 1 which was an old Bendix King something or other. Comm 2 is still an old Bendix King something or other. After installation, I have difficulty receiving radio signals on comm 1, but reception over comm 2 is fine. The problem occurs the further I get from a station. I resort to using comm 2 as my primary radio to make sure I don't miss a radio call, but this kind of defeats the purpose of having the 650 for comms. Someone mentioned to me that this might be an issue of digital vs. analog radios. Does that sound logical? Is there a way to boost the signal reception of the 650 without taking it back to an avionics shop? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Swap so the 650 uses the bottom antenna if you're plane has upper and lower antennas might help if the squelch tip isn't the issue ...

Cabling run near the wrong equipment could be the cause too. Swap antenna cables between radios if you can. If it isn't that or squelch, I don't know what it would be...a weak transceiver?

When I had this done I vaguely remember they replaced the coax cables to the antennas for both the 650 and 255. Don’t know if it was required or they were just being thorough.

I've had my GTN 650 for 4 years, and radio reception is crystal-clear (much better than my KX-155). So you are right to set high expectations — muddy or weak isn't good enough, and points to either a problem in the unit or the wiring.

Back