Grumman Traveller - any opinions?

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
Just went with a friend to check one out. Seemed like a decent plane. All was in order etc, just don't know much about the plane.

Anyone have an opinion on this aircraft versus a nicely equipped 172K (RAM)?

Grumman are great aircraft. Awesome viz and good speed. Not all that familiar with the Traveller as my experience is limited to the Tiger and AA1C. First thing to do is check out the American Yankee Association www.AYA.org they will be a good source of info. At some point Ron Levy will chime in and give you his three cents as he is a big Grumman flyer.

TexasHikergal02 over at DFWPilots.com owns one and is very happy with it and always willing to share her knowledge of the airframe. I've flown with her and really like her Traveller. I've been watching the market for good examples of the Grummans and have seen several worth a more detailed look if I was more serious about ownership.

The AA-5 Traveler was the first of the 4-seat Grummans produced, with model years from 1972 to 1975. It's faster than a 172 and carries about the same load (typically about 800-850 lb useful), but is not as tolerant of grass or extremely short runways. Handling is much better, I think, with lighter roll and pitch forces, and better-harmonized controls as well as a quicker roll rate. It's a good IFR platform, a bit better in turbulence due to heavier wing loading. The high compression STC (occasionally mistakenly called a 160 HP STC) improves takeoff and climb performance at the expense of being able to use 80/87 avgas (hard to find these days anyway) and 87 mogas (but is fine with 91+ mogas). If you've never flown anything but C/P/B-types, you'll definitely want a checkout in type -- most insurers require either a checkout or 15 hours in type, but the AYA (Grumman owners) group has a checkout program (Pilot Familiarization Program, or PFP).

For more on Grummans, try:
http://www.aya.org
http://www.grumman.net

Thanks Ron.

My friend is sitting at around ~70 hours and has just gotten back into flying after a long break and is working on picking up his PPL. Should be ready to go any day.

He's stuck between the Traveler and a 172.

If my friend buys it, I'll get a checkout from the current owner, who is a CFI before we start working in it.

If my friend buys it, I'll get a checkout from the current owner, who is a CFI before we start working in it.
The insurance will probably require that, but even if it doesn't, it would be a real good idea. If you'll be training your friend, make sure that CFI also demonstrates common trainee errors in the type -- some of them might surprise you if you haven't seen them before. The biggest issues are speed control on final, ballooning in the flare, and dropping the nose to plant the nosewheel on landing.

BTW, if he's wavering between a Traveler and a 172, just have him fly both -- the decision will then make itself.

Last edited:
Just went with a friend to check one out. Seemed like a decent plane. All was in order etc, just don't know much about the plane.

Anyone have an opinion on this aircraft versus a nicely equipped 172K (RAM)?

Depends. One operator I flew for we had a Traveller as a run around plane to gather guys in from remote strips (cheaper to fly it than the Ag planes if they need to be there tomorrow). It's kinda underpowered for what we were doing with it, luckily no one was heavy and the distances weren't far. I think the only way I would chose the Traveller of the Gruman line was because I could get a good airframe and avionics package and upgrade to 180hp cheaper than I could buy a Tiger for, and I don't really see that happening.

Depends. One operator I flew for we had a Traveller as a run around plane to gather guys in from remote strips (cheaper to fly it than the Ag planes if they need to be there tomorrow). It's kinda underpowered for what we were doing with it, luckily no one was heavy and the distances weren't far. I think the only way I would chose the Traveller of the Gruman line was because I could get a good airframe and avionics package and upgrade to 180hp cheaper than I could buy a Tiger for, and I don't really see that happening.

I know you can upgrade a Cheetah to 180 hp and essentially a Tiger. But I'm not sure you can do the same to a Traveler. I know the horizontal stab on the Traveler is smaller than the one on the Tiger/Cheetah and also think there may be some spar differences that limit the gross weight on a Traveler.

Ron?

I "think" you can fly around with the canopy open.......is that correct?
Yes. Max speed is 113 K/130 mph indicated, and the canopy must not be opened past a mark on the rail (about 8 inches). Make sure there's no loose stuff (especially no sectionals on the glare shield), as the airflow is out, not in, when the canopy is opened only to that point.

Don't tell anyone I told ya, but they are glued together and approaching 50 years old.

Always find your A&P that will be maintaining the aircraft before you buy and ask them if they are familiar with the type.

I think the only way I would chose the Traveller of the Gruman line was because I could get a good airframe and avionics package and upgrade to 180hp cheaper than I could buy a Tiger for, and I don't really see that happening.
If you do the Crosby O-360 STC on a Traveler (assuming you can find a Tiger air box to do it), you don't get the extra 200 lb GW, but you do get about a 50 lb increase in empty weight, so you have a very fast but more weight-limited Traveler. In addition, unless you already own a creampuff AA-5/5A, it's not cost effective. You can buy a Tiger for less than it would cost to buy an equivalent Cheetah and upgrade it to Tiger status including both the firewall forward and the center spar replacement. Only way it makes sense is if you already own the Cheetah airframe and have access to a Tiger center spar (which is hard to find) and a Tiger air box (which is really hard to find). Been there, done that, got the Cheeger.

I know you can upgrade a Cheetah to 180 hp and essentially a Tiger.
You have to replace the center spar as well as the firewall forward, and it isn't easy finding a Tiger air box -- harder to find that than the spar. You can still do the engine upgrade without the spar, but MGW remains 2200 while EW goes up about 50 lb.

But I'm not sure you can do the same to a Traveler.
The Crosby STC allows the engine swap on a Traveler, but not the spar swap -- again, MGW is the same but EW goes up. Also, you can't swap the Traveler's "short tank" wings with only 37 gallons total, so you are a bit limited on endurance at Tiger speeds.

I know the horizontal stab on the Traveler is smaller than the one on the Tiger/Cheetah
Correct, which is why you can't do the spar swap on the Traveler to get the 2400 lb MGW.

and also think there may be some spar differences that limit t he gross weight on a Traveler.
The Cheetah and Traveler share the same center spar. Most Cheetahs were built with the "long tank" wings that hold 51 gallons total, and those that weren't can take the "long tank" wings because of the Tiger tail, but that starts making the total cost of conversion pretty uneconomical.

BTW, it is believed that some late model Cheetahs went out the factory door with the thicker Tiger center spars, but it doesn't show in the aircraft records. Only way to find out is to mike the spar wall thickness (0.268 vs 0.300), and some disassembly is required.

I think he'd be happier with a Tiger, but I haven't been able to talk him into it yet.

Maybe I can show him this thread. :)

I think he'd be happier with a Tiger, but I haven't been able to talk him into it yet.

That was my conclusion 11 years ago when I bought mine. The Tiger is a good performer, and the 180 HP really helps in climb, weight carrying and cruise.

Whichever you get, the Grummans are nice birdies to fly.

Depends on his needs and his budget. You can pay a whole lot less for a Traveler compared to a Tiger, or get a whole lot nicer Traveler for the same money.

The real question is what payload and range he needs (especially if long IFR XC's with an alternate are involved). If it's just two adults and baggage, and no more than 3-hour trips VFR or 2.5-hour legs IFR, the Traveler should be fine. There's also the option of a 1976-79 Cheetah, which will cost a bit more than a Traveler but a lot less than a Tiger, and gives basically Traveler performance with greater fuel capacity (51 gallons for 95% of the fleet) for longer XC legs.

Get the Tiger, you local flights will get boring after 100 hours and you'll want to stretch out to further destinations.

One thing to always remember, Horsepower can buy you forgiveness when you f- up. At these airframe weights, 20hp buys a good bit of forgiveness.

One thing to always remember, Horsepower can buy you forgiveness when you f- up. At these airframe weights, 20hp buys a good bit of forgiveness.
Actually, it's 30HP difference unless you have the Precision Engines High Compression STC. However, with just two adults and bags, the Traveler has quite enough power for anything short of a hot day in Denver, and the HC STC pretty well solves that, too.

Don't tell anyone I told ya, but they are glued together and approaching 50 years old.

Always find your A&P that will be maintaining the aircraft before you buy and ask them if they are familiar with the type.

your fairchild is also glued together and older than that.

Depends on his needs and his budget. You can pay a whole lot less for a Traveler compared to a Tiger, or get a whole lot nicer Traveler for the same money.

The real question is what payload and range he needs (especially if long IFR XC's with an alternate are involved). If it's just two adults and baggage, and no more than 3-hour trips VFR or 2.5-hour legs IFR, the Traveler should be fine. There's also the option of a 1976-79 Cheetah, which will cost a bit more than a Traveler but a lot less than a Tiger, and gives basically Traveler performance with greater fuel capacity (51 gallons for 95% of the fleet) for longer XC legs.

The Traveller fits his plans much better. He won't be taking many long trips in his own aircraft. He'll go commercially. I think the Traveler may be work out well for him.

Get the Tiger, you local flights will get boring after 100 hours and you'll want to stretch out to further destinations.

I've already got a bird that will eat a Tiger up.. ;)

I've already got a bird that will eat a Tiger up.. ;)

And its either retractable, more horse power or probably both, OR AN RV which won't carry nearly as much. :wink2:

Seriously, the acquisition cost is the least of his worries. The operational costs of a Tiger are very similar to a Traveller or Cheetah, with a little higher fuel burn, avg, 10 GPH vs 8 GPH. However, its easy to run the Tiger at 55% - 60% and get that type of fuel burn, but have the utility of more climb, more payload and more speed if you need it.

Tigers are very reasonable now. Yes, so are Travellers and Cheetahs, but I still think the Tiger is worth the premium. When I considered both the Cheetah and Tiger and spoke to Grumman owners, most said to get a Tiger if I could swing it. I did.

Last edited:
Seriously, the acquisition cost is the least of his worries.
Not if you are on a strict budget. That's how we ended up with a Cheetah rather than a Tiger in 1990.

The operational costs of a Tiger are very similar to a Traveller or Cheetah,
Agreed. Other than the initial purchase price, the ownership cost differential between the three is insignificant.

Tigers are very reasonable now. Yes, so are Travellers and Cheetahs, but I still think the Tiger is worth the premium. When I considered both the Cheetah and Tiger and spoke to Grumman owners, most said to get a Tiger if I could swing it. I did.
Agreed completely, but not everyone has the extra $10-15K that Tigers cost over comparable Cheetahs, and Travelers can usually be had for at least $5K less than comparable Cheetahs. So if your procurement budget is in the $30-40K range, a Traveler may be the only choice unless you want a "fixer-upper."

your fairchild is also glued together and older than that.
That wood isn't 50 years old and it is glued to a steel frame including a roll cage cabin.

Attachments

• elevator control.jpg
    elevator control.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 19
  • Belly no fabric.jpg
    Belly no fabric.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 15
And its either retractable, more horse power or probably both, OR AN RV which won't carry nearly as much. :wink2:

RV-6.. :)

You're right though, I am telling him he can always throttle back. He is concerned about the fuel flow.

I don't know the details of his financial situation, but I think he could pop for a Tiger without breaking a sweat.

RV-6.. :)

You're right though, I am telling him he can always throttle back. He is concerned about the fuel flow.

Nothing wrong with a Traveller or Cheetah if that's what he is comfortable in buying, but the Tiger gives you more flexibility.

I'd trade my Tiger for a well equipped RV-7A with 200 HP and C/S prop in a heartbeat. I rarely use the back seats, except for baggage.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a Traveller or Cheetah if that's what he is comfortable in buying, but the Tiger gives you more flexibility.

I'd trade my Tiger for a well equipped RV-7A with 200 HP and C/S prop in a heartbeat. I rarely use the back seats, except for baggage.

Nope. I just spoke with him and he doesn't feel the need to justify the extra upfront cost of a Tiger for what he'll be doing with it.

That wood isn't 50 years old and it is glued to a steel frame including a roll cage cabin.
...which is demonstrably less crashworthy than the honeycomb sandwich construction of the Grumman cabin.

Tom's made a lot of disparaging comments about the construction of the Grummans before, and based on his comments, I don't think he knows much about them. If you want to know about Grumman construction and maintenance, talk directly to an expert like Ken Blackman at Air Mods NW or David Fletcher at Fletchair.

I don't know the details of his financial situation, but I think he could pop for a Tiger without breaking a sweat.
What's your ballpark estimate of his purchase budget?
Nope. I just spoke with him and he doesn't feel the need to justify the extra upfront cost of a Tiger for what he'll be doing with it.
Aha -- new information. Lots of Traveler and Cheetah owners felt the same way and are quite happy with the choices they made. Main reason I went with a Tiger rather than a Cheetah this time around was that all my formation flying buddies have Tigers, and the Cheetah can't keep up on takeoff, in climb, or as #4 in an echelon turn.

Last edited:
Yeh, the one we've looked at is ~$29K and may take less.

Found some Tiger's, but one of them has no logs. LOL.

Slight resurrect.

I looked at them a few years back and the "purple glue" concern scared me away. Has that been resolved and/or what years should one stay away from? I just realized FletchAir is now in my neck of the woods (I relocated to So TX this year) so the idea of their local support has perked my interest on the Traveler/cheetah once again.

My mission still consists of local hops (200NM) for gratuitous hip-city/coastal destination overnights I could (painfully) drive to if i needed to bad enough. Once a year 400NM+ trip. Solid night VFR platform and bare bones-IFR for the occasional layer pop up. The rest local sightseeing, with the ability to take the occasional 3rd passenger for a round robin, no overnight. No grass, no short fields, no mountain/high DA destinations.

In this depressed economy I bet one could bargain either sample down a few AMUs, Im just trying to monetize the objective differences between the two. I don't trust the "book numbers" I've found online on either.
What are real world numbers for these two at 75%? 115kts and 120kts respectively?¿

Sliding the canopy back on landing rollout seems good enough incentive to start from :D

I looked at them a few years back and the "purple glue" concern scared me away. Has that been resolved and/or what years should one stay away from?
Only a few planes made around 1975 are affected, and Fletchair has the list of affected serial numbers. All planes before and after were made with the "good glue," and have no problems. Those made with the "purple glue" have been watched for several decades, and any issues identified have been dealt with IAW the Service Bulletin. So, there's no reason to avoid any Grummans not on that list, and for those with the purple glue, an inspection by a Grumman-savvy mechanic should identify any problems or otherwise allay concerns.

What are real world numbers for these two at 75%? 115kts and 120kts respectively?
115 for the 72-74 Travelers and 120 for the Cheetahs and 75 Travelers (which have the Cheetah-style cowl) are good planning figures, with fuel burn of 8.5 gph.

Well.. Don't ask me how it happened but he bought a Sundowner. We go get it Saturday..

Back