Grumman Tiger like LSA?

U b good to go.

You can let it expire and keep flying an LSA (assuming you are medically fit as determined by you and your family doctor (and, if you are not, you probably shouldn't be driving a car either (IMO)))

Or start your training for the PPL/LSA and see what (if anything) comes of the new EAA proposal for 3rd class medical/drivers licence. Maybe you'll be able to self-certify and STILL get your Tiger by the tail...:rolleyes2:

Chris

Or start your training for the PPL/LSA and see what (if anything) comes of the new EAA proposal for 3rd class medical/drivers licence. Maybe you'll be able to self-certify and STILL get your Tiger by the tail...:rolleyes2:

Chris

That was my original plan. PPL for the option to fly 90% of the rental market and if the rule changes, I can self certify. No LSAs to rent anywhere so I'll complete my PPL with hopes for the rule change. If not and I get the itch to own or build, it'll be a Sonex or Zodiac.

Well, I looked at them Sonexes a little bit. Clearly I need to see a lot of them in person and to read up more on the tell-tale signs before I can know a good build from a bad one. A few things strike me right away:
- The wingspan and wing area of Sonex are about 2/3 of C-150. Fortunately, its gross weight is also 2/3, but power is more like 4/5, assuming AeroVee. Still, quoted takeoff distance of 500 ft seems unduly optimistic.
- Lots of people build with center stick, and I am not hot on that.
- Spring trim option is also popular, although I met a few with the tab. I prefer the modest redundancy that tab provides (there's no chute, remember).

Aside from the build quality, the next big question is the headroom. I learned long ago not to trust Internet too much on that. I fit comfortably in C-150 and I can NOT fit into Comanche. Which one is the bigger airplane?

Going price for them seems like $27k, although some are trying to sell them for $45k. Heh. Overall though, there aren't many on the market.

I went to Sonex website and used their build database to identify a few projects within a day's flight by a rental Cherokee. Sadly most have no contact information of the builder. Also, probably going to poke local EAA chapter. I meant to join even before Rod Hightower resigned, and they told me to join the national EAA first, then come back.

Last edited:
A center stick works really well in these small two place airplanes. Takes about 30 seconds to get used to it. Sure makes getting in and out easier. Don

That AME is going to screw someone over. Bugs me to no end that there's guys like Doc B who prove it can be done a better way and far too many AMEs are not learning how.

It's a minefield for new pilots that bothers me to no end. They shouldn't have to hunt for an AME who knows what they're doing.

Glad you got your 3rd and your SI.

That AME is going to screw someone over. Bugs me to no end that there's guys like Doc B who prove it can be done a better way and far too many AMEs are not learning how.

It's a minefield for new pilots that bothers me to no end. They shouldn't have to hunt for an AME who knows what they're doing.

Glad you got your 3rd and your SI.

Thanks. I'll give the AME in question the benefit of the doubt, though he was a little "distant" and I probably won't get my next medical from him. Maybe he'd dealt with others with my challenges before and knew he couldn't help much more than he did. :dunno:

I got my SI in the mail. Dr. Bruce was right. No further requirement for the condition that caused all the tests. The special issuance requirement will be just an update of current condition, treatments and side effects, if any. I talked to my CFI and I'll resume training after the holidays.

A center stick works really well in these small two place airplanes. Takes about 30 seconds to get used to it. Sure makes getting in and out easier. Don

I'm a lefty, so I actually prefer a center stick.

Last edited:
I'm a lefty, so I actually prefer a center stick.
Do keep in mind that when Sonex is discussed, a "center" stick means the one between the seats, on the center of the airplane, and not the one that's centered between your legs. The latter would be called "center" in any other airplane. In Sonex such configuration is called a "dual" stick. Aaaand, just to make it merrier, there's a reconfiguration of Sonex with "center controls" that moves throttle, brake, and, I think, flaps, from the left wall to the center. It may come with a "center" stick or "dual" sticks, but it always implies the spring trim, I think.

Do keep in mind that when Sonex is discussed, a "center" stick means the one between the seats, on the center of the airplane, and not the one that's centered between your legs. The latter would be called "center" in any other airplane. In Sonex such configuration is called a "dual" stick. Aaaand, just to make it merrier, there's a reconfiguration of Sonex with "center controls" that moves throttle, brake, and, I think, flaps, from the left wall to the center. It may come with a "center" stick or "dual" sticks, but it always implies the spring trim, I think.

I just want to be able to fly with my right hand and write stuff down/sort maps and charts/ operate my Ipad Mini with my left.

Back