Grumman Albatross

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
What is it? In the pics is a red pull down handle faired into a slot cut out in the fuselage on the port side. Running vertically up from the handle is a black painted line which leads to the top of the fuselage. There are no markings or idenitifications.

I think the handle is an emergency door handle operable from the aircraft exterior which would blow off an escape door on the top of the fuselage. An A&P friend thinks it could be part of a step system to gain access to the top of the wings. Both of us are clueless.

Attachments

• Grumman Albatross 024.jpg
    Grumman Albatross 024.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
  • Grumman Albatross 023.jpg
    Grumman Albatross 023.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
You've heard of the Stairway to Heaven? Maybe that's the Escalator to the Empennage.....:D

Stairway_to_Heaven_David_Niven_Marius_Goring.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Steve. What an awesome webpage. It was great to see such a detailed description of how to clamber up top. My friend will be overjoyed.

Thanks Steve. What an awesome webpage. It was great to see such a detailed description of how to clamber up top. My friend will be overjoyed.

I thought it was part of the system to detach the saucer section from the battle bridge and warp drive nacelles.

When my friend watched them work on the Albatross at Renton, he was really impressed by all the steps and platforms. They didn't need stands to work on the engines; all the platforms and everything were built into the airplane so they could work on the engines while afloat.

Ron Wanttaja

FWIW, there's a Grumman display planned for Sun 'n Fun this year (next month) which will include a Duck, Widgeon, Goose, Mallard, and Albatross parked together.

Provided weather and aircraft status allows their participation, of course.

FWIW, there's a Grumman display planned for Sun 'n Fun this year (next month) which will include a Duck, Widgeon, Goose, Mallard, and Albatross parked together.

Provided weather and aircraft status allows their participation, of course.
Gonna have to put a lot of newspapers down on that parking area! :D

Red Bull totally restored an Albatross which I saw at the Tennessee Air Museum. Just beautiful.

Red Bull totally restored an Albatross which I saw at the Tennessee Air Museum. Just beautiful.
And I just got this in the AOPA Aviation eBrief:
Former FAA official critical of seaplane used in marketing
The 55-year-old seaplane used to promote Red Bull energy drinks is "terribly unsafe," according to a former FAA safety inspector. "The long wing versions of this airplane have a definite, if you want to call it, drop dead time," Bill McNease told a reporter on ABC's Good Morning America. "When they reach a certain amount of flight hours, that's it." But the FAA says it is "comfortable" with the current use of the Grumman-built "Flying Albatross," and a company spokesman says "neither Red Bull nor any of its pilots or flight crews have or would operate an aircraft that is known to be unsafe or in an unsafe manner." ABC News (3/30)

Back