Growth of a T-Storm Texas Style

Well, it is getting a little larger, But it is just green & a little yellow.

What was that flash off to my Left? My screen is painting only to the right?

Is that red on the screen?

Ah, Houston Center, Can I get 10 deg to the left?

ATC "813, Sure, go for it............ Attention all aircraft, Conductive Sig just released for SE Texas ......."

Gezz, Is that Purple inside the red?

ATC "813, Change of planes, Forget Dasetta, Head direct Sabine pass, Stros 4 arrival."

Ahh, There is the sun again. What a nice flight. Thanks Houston Center.

Very dramatic! Thanks, Eamon. I'm glad I wasn't there.

Welcome to Tejas, Eamon. There will be plenty more where that came from.

Alrighty Eamon, just because I was recently dodging T-storms with only the help of ATC to guide me, adding almost an hour on to my flight, I'm now thinking that some sort of onboard instrumentation is necessary. What is that you are using? What type of AC were you flying and how reliable was it really? I noted you said you were seeing to the left while the Bendix was showing only to the right.

I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck to reliably avoid the big buck bangs.

Kyle Thornley said:
Alrighty Eamon, just because I was recently dodging T-storms with only the help of ATC to guide me, adding almost an hour on to my flight, I'm now thinking that some sort of onboard instrumentation is necessary. What is that you are using? What type of AC were you flying and how reliable was it really? I noted you said you were seeing to the left while the Bendix was showing only to the right.

I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck to reliably avoid the big buck bangs.

Kyle, for best performance, you really need two things. A stormscope and some form of radar.

I have a WX-900 (best bang-buck in Stormscopes). Last summer I broke down and bought the portable WxWorx receiver package http://www.wxworx.com and a tablet PC. I bought a ruggedized PC that has a hard drive rated to 16,000 feet +/-. WxWorx uplinks the Doppler weather radar from NWS, satellite pictures, along with ground-based lightning detection (and a lot of other stuff).

The nice thing about WxWorx is that it allows you to "see" the other side of the storm or cell, so you know what to expect. The drawback is that it's not 100% real-time (the radar data updates every 4-8 minutes, that is a NWS limitation).

I use WxWork as a strategic tool, and the Stormscope for tactical stuff.

I picked my way through a line of storms in Missouri/Arkansas on Tuesday with WxWorx (see the thread on me visiting Twin Oaks), and I used it to almost completely avoid a fast-moving cell over West Virginia on Monday. I could tell how fast the WV cell was moving, and I asked for a deviation far enough and early enough to avoid most of the precip. If I'd relied on the stormscope alone, I would have been in the middle of it.

WxWorx is about $900 for the receiver and software, and either $35 or $50 a month. You'll need a display - there's a way to do it on an iPaq, I like my tablet PC (about $1500).

Kyle Thornley said:

I spent my first 2000+ CC with nothing but flight watch. Those guys are GREAT Many times ATC can't see WX at all, let alone as good at them. You just need to know EXACTLY where you are & tell them & then they will tell you where to go & then you ask ATC to let you follow the new route.

That being said.........................

I have Radar in the company Caravan.

The bolt of lightning I saw on my left was a fluk & wasn't a sign of a bad cell. It was just a stray bolt. The bad cells were to my right.

A stormscope sees lightning only & Radar sees rain only.

With some limitations either will do a good job of picking out the worst stuff because the worst part of a T-storm should have both lightning & rain

You need to know your equipment's's limitations to be safe.

Stormscope can give bad distance readings & Radar can hide real nasty stuff behind "Shadows" You don't fly into a clear part on the screen that behind a cell unless you see something past it.

Radar is overkill in a small plane, moneywise & weightwise

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm not really looking to dodge big storms, and if its really cruddy, I'm ground bound, but it would be nice to have a bit more to go on than the voice on the other side of the freq.

Back