Greek Airline Crash

Larry Liebscher said:
CNN report of Greek 737 crash: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/08/14/greece.crash/index.html

Apparently something malfunctioned in the pressurization/oxygenation system.

Question: Do most airlines have a SOP for an emergency descent immediately upon such a malfunction?
All transport category certified a/c have a POH emergency descent routine, but it is predicated on one of the two pilots remaining conscious. Sounds like a rapid decompression to me, with no O2 in the pilot/copilot manifold.

Sigh.

I agree sounds like from first reports like a dual systems failure (environment; and cockpit O2).
Reports of the pilots 'blue' and 'slumped' while the pax are sucking O2 and sending text messages to family.
Too sad.

I did read about some newer jets having an automatic system that would turn the airplane to 90d of its track, descend it to 10k under a/p, in the event of a 'Hi Cabin P' master warning.

Bruce,

That is what I thought. I'm just surprised the plane was still on autopilot. My assumption is that even in a rapid decompression and only 15-30 seconds of useful consciousness, the pilots would have disengaged the autopilot and begun the emergency descent. Unless the emergency descent is carried out using the flight director, but even then I would have expected it to have been initiated.

As always, we'll have to await the final analysis. I'm sure there are going to be some interesting findings concerning functioning of the emergency systems as well as the procedures.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I did read about some newer jets having an automatic system that would turn the airplane to 90d of its track, descend it to 10k under a/p, in the event of a 'Hi Cabin P' master warning.

I sure hope that's connected to the terrain warning system or a radar altimeter somehow, as descending to 10K with unconscious pilots could be bad in some areas...

Back