Great Lakes Meet Up

As far as I can tell scheduling-wise, I'm still a go for dropping by. I'll be bringing Oreo balls. If there's anything else needed, I can bring it. Just let me know, Tim!

Not going to be able to make it. Hopefully I will see most of you soon.

Tim,

I have decided not to fly out from Columbus. I can't justify the extreme rental fee on my income level.

However, I might come out any way. I will get back to you on that. Put me back down as a maybe.

David

whats the closest airport to you?

If anyone wants to goto the AF museum or do anything else around the area and needs wheels, let me know and I can get my spare car (read as: beater, not as classy as Vandy's Benz, but its got character) down there.

I'll be there... probably drive, as to fly I'd have to drive by Moraine on I-75, get the plane, fly back up to Moraine, and not drink beer.

OK, I spoke to the Airport Manager regarding fuel and it is less than others are paying but not earth shattering.

He has agreed to holding of on a price increase this weekend and knock $.10 off the current price. So the fuel will be $5.59.

Now don't shoot the messenger if you can get cheaper elsewhere go for it. If not you save a few bucks.

whats the closest airport to you?

Bolton field, Port Columbus, Newark or Lancaster

Might not be able to go any way as of this morning. Might be getting training for a dropzone pilot job Saturday that was not supposed to happen yet. Have to find out, hopefully will know tomorrow. DZ is trying to get the training I need set up for this weekend, instead of next.

David

Last edited:
I know Steingar is out of Bolton but he can't haul 4 in his 140. I was trying to figure out how to go get you but if you have something else I understand.

Enjoy the training!!

I know Steingar is out of Bolton but he can't haul 4 in his 140. I was trying to figure out how to go get you but if you have something else I understand.

Enjoy the training!!

Thanks.

Things have become fluid right now. As soon as I know if I am not having the training I will let you know and just haul my butt out there. LOL

Looked it up on mapquest. 1 hour 39 mins ride, mostly super slab. Not so bad.

David

Hey, I'll top off down there. (Same price as home field)

Sorry, can't haul four, just as Tim said. We'll be full with three. With four I could carry just enough gas to get us to I73 though we might have to forego the VFR reserve.

This sounds like a blast, I would like to start meeting you folks at some point, but I am working all weekend and the club plane is booked anyway...which is why I am looking for my own...
But the nice flying season is just getting underway, I'm sure there will be more opportunity this summer

you should plan for the Labor Day weekend flyin at 6Y9, Sidnaw MI

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

you should plan for the Labor Day weekend flyin at 6Y9, Sidnaw MI

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

:yeahthat: A GREAT time!

And I'm trying to decide what to bring. Could make my baked beans, but would need to figure out how to get them there intact and hot! I've made them before at 6Y9, as well as Gaston's and/or OSH. (Note: they involve bacon, so this is not to be considered vegetarian!)

What's the current attendance count for quantity planning? I'm coming with 3 others.

Sorry I'm out. Really hoped to do it since it sounds fun. But with that many people coming in and being solo I can't talk myself into it.

Sorry I'm out. Really hoped to do it since it sounds fun. But with that many people coming in and being solo I can't talk myself into it.
There is too many planes for you to be solo? I don't think you will have any problem. Come on down.

We won't all be there at the same time. It is not Osh or even I69 Clermont Co fly-in. Monitor 122.7 10-15 nm out, keep your lights on, report standard position/altitude occasionally from 10 nm. If it sounds too busy, circle for a few minutes, then come on in. We are all trained professionals, love to talk(on the radio too) and are very polite. I would not go into Osh or SnF solo. We hope you join us for some great food and conversation.

If you are thinking 42 planes, I am thinking 42 souls.

Last edited:

You are worrying way too much. If you are that concerned, just identify yourself on the radio on the way in. I suspect someone will be listening on the ground, and if anyone is in the air they'll chime in. We'll get the place cleared out so you can make a nice landing, I promise. A LOT more aircraft fly uncontrolled into Urbana for MERFI and there's never been a problem.

You'll never do anything new and never become a better pilot if you don't push yourself just a little.

Kate: I would be willing to bet you have been to busier uncontrolled fields than this. The times I've been to 3W2 there has been WAY more traffic than 11 planes in an hour. Ditto at KPCW on a nice day. No matter where you fly to, you need to listen, announce, and keep your head on a swivel. We're all PoA pilots, we're going to do our darnedest to make this a safe outing.

Yup been to busier not solo. Went to Urbana a couple times but always have another set of eyes. Other concerns is weather I can't afford to be stuck down there. Sure could rent car and come backlater for the plane but that turns into a heck of a bill for this unemployed IFR student. Tim already offered to see if someone could pick me up but I turned it down...I get sick being a passenger. Am I limiting myself by not exploring and pushing boundaries....probably. I just don't have warm and fuzzy thoughts about this one.

Yes for the 26th, For now it will be at I73 (Moraine Sky Park)
We will eat around 1300 LCL some will arrive early for hangar talk and general BS.

Basically you just park on the blacktop or in the grass. I could Marshal you in but you will have to take my abuse on the radio while doing so. Actually we will probably have someone there to help with parking for the throngs if aircraft that may arrive.

I could set up a canopy but it could be hard on your prop!!!

Hmmmmm I think we have some used red shop rags in the hangar we could use.

As for bringing stuff, sure. Just let me know what you intend to bring so I don't go buy it as well. Since I save the cost of flying somewhere I just use that $$ to get the meat, buns and stuff that is needed. Last year some people brought cookies, chips, dip (no I am not referring to Ed), or personal preference foods.

It isn't too early to start letting me know aircraft type, Tail Number and souls on board so I know how much stuff to get.

Thanks all!!!
I'm a maybe. Gotta see if there are some dogs that need to be flown. If that falls through perhaps I may pop down. I'll know better by Friday afternoon.

Kate: I would be willing to bet you have been to busier uncontrolled fields than this. The times I've been to 3W2 there has been WAY more traffic than 11 planes in an hour. Ditto at KPCW on a nice day. No matter where you fly to, you need to listen, announce, and keep your head on a swivel. We're all PoA pilots, we're going to do our darnedest to make this a safe outing.

You mean someone might be grading the landings? No Never, well Maybe!!!!!:goofy::goofy::goofy:

Kate, you should be fine, but as PIC it is your call and I will respect your decision what ever it is.

Yup been to busier not solo. Went to Urbana a couple times but always have another set of eyes. Other concerns is weather I can't afford to be stuck down there. Sure could rent car and come backlater for the plane but that turns into a heck of a bill for this unemployed IFR student. Tim already offered to see if someone could pick me up but I turned it down...I get sick being a passenger. Am I limiting myself by not exploring and pushing boundaries....probably. I just don't have warm and fuzzy thoughts about this one.

Your call, gotta respect it whatever it is.

Tim ill be there with a guest and possibly a friend is flying in with a guest but they are still a maybe.

Back