Great Lakes Meet Up

No apologies needed. And I am calling foul for the basketball comment. LOL

I can definitely get excited when March rolls around.

What time of day are you proposing for this and do we need to bring a lawn chair to? Just thinkin' ahead. Looking forward to meeting some POA folks.

David

The local FBO (Commander Aero) will provide tables and chairs and is the preferred spot for fuel if you need any.

It all depends on if you are going to the Museum or not. I had people showing up as early as 10 last year and we ate around 1300 LCL. Most stayed till about 3 and then left in haste because some t-storms were heading in.

Sounds like a "keeper" FBO.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are awesome. Had a chance to work with them a few times since the last meet up there. Top notch.

If you are an AOPA member bring your card for a bit cheaper fuel.

I have wanted to go back to the museum for a while now. This sounds like a perfect time to do so!

I have wanted to go back to the museum for a while now. This sounds like a perfect time to do so!

When we get close to the fly in let me know when you plan to arrive and I will get one of the locals to take you to the museum. When you are about ready to leave you call them and they will come get you. Just that simple.

So April 26th. Is there a start time yet?

Last year we are around 1300. People showed up from 1100 till 1300 I was at the AP by 10

When we get close to the fly in let me know when you plan to arrive and I will get one of the locals to take you to the museum. When you are about ready to leave you call them and they will come get you. Just that simple.

Sounds great! Something to look forward to. My dad took us there as kids. I took him for his first ga plane ride to Sportys back in September. May drag him with me.

Figured I'd bump this thread since I was looking forward to it. I hope snow is gone by the time of this event. The wx men are calling for more these next 7 days.

Thanks for the Bump Kate, been hard to think about this with the weather. My hangar doors are now clear of ice but broken so that they will not open. My AP manager is starting to get steamed at me for the repeated e-mails. He will get over it.

Thanks for the Bump Kate, been hard to think about this with the weather. My hangar doors are now clear of ice but broken so that they will not open. My AP manager is starting to get steamed at me for the repeated e-mails. He will get over it.
Ugh, sorry to hear that Tim. I cleared the last of the ice blocking my hangar door last weekend with an ice chopper followed by a ton of urea followed by some scraping -- the rain had melted most of it during the week. I actually was able to lift the door for the first time in over a month. All for naught though, since there's supposed to be several inches more coming by Saturday night.

Thankfully the ice and snow chocking my hangar melted for a sufficient duration for my to reestablish some modicum of currency. Not much of a modicum, really. Might get another shot Saturday if the wx is as forecast.

Leslie and I are driving to Peoria Saturday for our medicals and lunch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hoorah! I hope it all goes well. Do tell Bruce I said hello (so he can say, "who?").

M
And

Land let Dr B know he and his wife are welcome to attend as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think my hangar might be open by July.

Yeah, I saw you guys on the news last night. Another storm rolling through and it didn't look pretty at all!

We're supposed to get a huge ice storm here on Sunday.

I really like winter, but this one has certainly sucked.

And another one this weekend. We may yet set an all-time snowfall record for a season. I think this year is already in second place, and we still have to make it through March and half of April.

We have set a season record for snowfall already. Everything else we get is just bragging rights. Oy!

Well, it may be, uh, May before I can get the plane out. Hangar approach is a solid 6" block of ice, and up against the hangar door it's about 12-16" and frozen against the bi-fold and pedestrian door. I can't even get IN the hangar right now.

I could actually get the plane out now, I think. But between work and sending out job applications, I don't really have time to fly. Plus there are icing airmets everywhere with lots of low clouds everywhere. The only days we've had lately where ice wouldn't have been an issue, it's either been finger-numbing frigid, head-thwomping windy, or both.

Leslie and I now both have our medicals! Yea!

I got the plane out this weekend. Flew to Decorah and stayed a couple nights. Heated hangar for $20, what a deal! :thumbsup:

Thought the weather might keep us from it, but we didn't NEED to be there Friday night, so made sure my beautiful bride understood we might end up flying 3/4 of the way there and turning around if we started icing up - She's very understanding! So we launched and made it in just fine. Flew through lots of snow, but no icing at all, got in a full procedure with a hold in actual and a landing that I'm glad it was at night - 3" or so of snow on the runway, it'd have been pretty hard to see the runway during the day! Piece o' cake with the lights though.

Beautiful return flight today with 30-knot tailwinds!

Now, when are you folks gonna chip your airplanes out of your hangars and fly?

Last edited:
I got the plane out this weekend. Flew to Decorah and stayed a couple nights. Heated hangar for $20, what a deal! :thumbsup:

Thought the weather might keep us from it, but we didn't NEED to be there Friday night, so made sure the missus understood we might end up flying 3/4 of the way there and turning around if we started icing up - She's very understanding! So we launched and made it in just fine. Flew through lots of snow, but no icing at all, got in a full procedure with a hold in actual and a landing that I'm glad it was at night - 3" or so of snow on the runway, it'd have been pretty hard to see the runway during the day! Piece o' cake with the lights though.

Beautiful return flight today with 30-knot tailwinds!

Now, when are you folks gonna chip your airplanes out of your hangars and fly?

Ain't happening. Can't even chip through the ice, or chip it away from the door.

the missus

Umm...Kent...a little suggestion from someone who's (barely?) survived nearly thirty years of marriage now.

You might want to consider finding a different title for her if you want to keep that beautiful young lady for the long term. :wink2:

Umm...Kent...a little suggestion from someone who's (barely?) survived nearly thirty years of marriage now.

You might want to consider finding a different title for her if you want to keep that beautiful young lady for the long term. :wink2:

The missus is ALOT better then "the ol ball and chain"

Up till today I was snow and ice clear but my hangar door is broken. Rode the AP mgr and told him last night that he owes me a months rent at this point. Been almost three weeks with no way to get the plane out of the hangar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Duly noted, and fixed. I was being lazy at typing. ;)

I flew this weekend just fine. Flying again next weekend. :)

We had a good 4 inches overnight. I drove out to the airport in the morning and shoveled the area in front of my hangar -- this time making sure to push the snow AWAY from the door and not to the side. The snow plows were in the next row over but even a half hour after I was finished hadn't started on my row. I'd been thinking of starting the pre-heat and taking a short flight later in the afternoon, but without knowing whether they'd just block my hangar again I didn't dare. I'll see if I can get out there later in the week to see.

Next week is "spring break". Haha! :rolleyes:

An accurate title might be SWMBO. As Horace Rumpole says, She Who Must Be Obeyed. &)

Success on the hangar ramp -- I checked today on the way in to work. Don't know when I'm going to be able to afford to do any serious flying again, but at least I can fire up the engine and maybe do a pizza run sometime in the next week.

Hope I don't have a ton of water in the tanks. :(

Well for the third time they are supposed to work on my hangar doors today. I will stop by and see if they accomplished anything. They were talking grinders and cutting wheels in my last communication with them. Hopefully those tools are going to be used to work on the doors and not to make the Arrow small enough to pull through half a door opening.

Back