Great Lakes Meet Up 1/18 or 1/19

I might be able to make it for Sunday, just have to see if a rental is available and if the weather will hold out.

Addendum: also need to hope that this cold that I seem to be getting has run its course by then. Doubt it, but hopeful.

From what I'm looking at, East IN and almost all of OH doesn't look real whoopie on Sunday, but that has plenty of time to change yet.

I'm not sure about my schedule yet. We're getting together with Daughter and SiL for Chris' birthday celebration one day this weekend, somewhere between here and StL (where they live) and don't know which day yet.

Had a GREAT day of flying today---flew a dog down to Springfield, MO. It was an absolutely beautiful day to be in the sky.

Crap weather? We're in. :)

It's looking like we are in for several inches again on Saturday. Sunday might be flyable, but if the forecast is right, my plane's tail (nothin' personal there Tim ;)) will be all iced up by Saturday night, and I'm pretty pessimistic about even being able to open the hangar door, much less getting the snow in front of the door cleared away so I can pull the plane out.

If a miracle happens, I'll try to make it. But the snow crew is really pizzing me off and at this point, I've pretty much given up on flying for the winter. :(

How does a tail ice up while inside a hangar?

No clue. There actually is an old hole in my hangar roof that someone slid a piece of siding into. It sheds water and snow nicely. When the wind howls the snow blows in through the doors enough to deposit snow on the wings of the Arrow

Liz, you need to buy a used snow blower
No, I need to find a way to bribe the snow crew to actually do their job right. A snow blower would just make the job of setting them up to plow me in a little easier. It really doesn't matter what I do, short of cleaning the entire hangar row myself. By the time they're done with my ramp area there's a ridge of ice a couple inches thick and 1-2 feet wide right in front of my door. :mad2:
I hear Trey Radel's available. He can probably be bought pretty cheap these days.
Who is Trey Radel? :confused:
How does a tail ice up while inside a hangar?
Hangar roof has a hole. Snow falls through the hole. If the temp rises to near freezing inside (the sun will do that), the snow melts and then refreezes when the temp falls back to "normal" (this winter's normal, that is).

Ohhhhhh...bummer...

Sunday's forecast is starting to deteriorate.

What is it about weekends and crappy weather anyway?

Well it isn't as hard on those of us that are not chained to a desk M thru F, ahem ahem, We that are chained to out desks are very familiar with weekends suck syndrome, or your basic WSS.

Hangar roof has a hole. Snow falls through the hole. If the temp rises to near freezing inside (the sun will do that), the snow melts and then refreezes when the temp falls back to "normal" (this winter's normal, that is).

No clue. There actually is an old hole in my hangar roof that someone slid a piece of siding into. It sheds water and snow nicely. When the wind howls the snow blows in through the doors enough to deposit snow on the wings of the Arrow

Apparently the east side of the state has banned the sale or use of ladders and siding/roofing.

My monthly rent is supposed to cover the upkeep of the hangar structure and roofing. There's no way I'm going to go out and buy a ladder and some roofing and do their job for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was against something in the contract anyway.

We'll, we're at least heading to the airport this weekend regardless of lunch or not. Gotta drop my tug back off and do a bit of hangar organization. So if a lunch happens, great. If not, we'll try again. I'm busy next weekend.

My monthly rent is supposed to cover the upkeep of the hangar structure and roofing. There's no way I'm going to go out and buy a ladder and some roofing and do their job for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was against something in the contract anyway.

I meant that they wouldn't do it. I wouldn't expect the tenant to do so.

Maybe a friendly letter from your lawyer would light a fire under 'em... After all, their lack of maintenance is depriving you the use of your plane!

Not that I'm in favor of doing that, but it sounds like you've had this problem for a while, and presumably you've asked nicely several times...

Maybe a friendly letter from your lawyer would light a fire under 'em... After all, their lack of maintenance is depriving you the use of your plane!

Not that I'm in favor of doing that, but it sounds like you've had this problem for a while, and presumably you've asked nicely several times...
I don't want to make more of a big thing of this than it might be... I just discovered the roof problem about 3 weeks ago, and mentioned it to the management immediately. The last time I was there was a week later and I could still see daylight through the roof. It's possible that they've fixed it by now, but if not, considering the brutal temperatures we've been having, I wouldn't be too upset about it.

The hangar ramp is another matter -- THAT'S something I've talked to both the plow guys and the airport staff about, and they just keep doing it. The icing of the plane is a bad deal but I have plenty of windshield fluid, it's just a pain in the butt to throw it on and then scrape the ice off carefully without scratching the paint. The ice in front of the hangar door is really what's depriving me of the use of my plane because in this cold, the only way to get rid of it would be to chop it away, and it's a lot of ice to chop.

Not the only way. Easy enough to make a large melting pad. On my back patio, I take an old waterbed heater pad, plug it in and toss it down. Melts everything away underneath it in a hurry. Of course, it's small, and needs to be moved, but it would be easy enough to make one larger. Put up some plow flags, lay the mat down and never worry about ice again.

holy sh*t the wind is blowing here today. Yesterday was nice and calm. Today not so much. The woods around the house are making noises that I've never heard before.

Not strong by Wyoming standards but it's howling by SE MO standards.

Any one coming from the Columbus, Ohio area for this who would want to do bring a Pilots and Paws stow away with them to Indy?

Liz,

I use my snow blower to get the snow away from the hangar doors so when they do plow it doesn't block the door.

Just got back from the AP and it snowed while ai was at work a couple days ago. i couldn't get out to the hangar before they plowed and tonight I can't get the doors open. Hoping that 40* temps Saturday will thaw things out so I can get the doors open.

Any one coming from the Columbus, Ohio area for this who would want to do bring a Pilots and Paws stow away with them to Indy?

I'm in Columbus and based at TZR. I would love to do that but Sunday looks like it is falling apart AND I have a study session for my managerial economics class at 3 PM. I haven't flown the bird in nearly a month. :mad:

I really need to get into P&P, it might be the one thing that interests my wife in aviation...

Liz,

I use my snow blower to get the snow away from the hangar doors so when they do plow it doesn't block the door.
Yeah, that's why I used to drive out in the snow to shovel it all away from the doors. Shoveling is slower than a snowblower, but better exercise. ;)

And it used to work -- last winter I would always find the hangar ramp well plowed with my cleared area in front of the door still clear.

This winter, the area I clear will be packed down with ice by the next morning. The plow guys just don't give a frak. :mad:

Not the only way. Easy enough to make a large melting pad. On my back patio, I take an old waterbed heater pad, plug it in and toss it down. Melts everything away underneath it in a hurry. Of course, it's small, and needs to be moved, but it would be easy enough to make one larger. Put up some plow flags, lay the mat down and never worry about ice again.
That's actually a good idea. I've never owned a waterbed so I have no idea how much a heating pad like that would cost. Hmmm....

That's actually a good idea. I've never owned a waterbed so I have no idea how much a heating pad like that would cost. Hmmm....

Or you can run to Lowe's and grab a 240' length of heat tape and run it back and forth across the ice, plug it in, and let it do its thing. I am probably going to make something in the 12' x 12' range with a length of heat tape spaced 6" apart sandwiched between two pieces of adhesive rubber. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Geez, bring that heat tape down and thaw the tracks on my hangar doors. They will not move.

I'm probably heading to Lowe's after work and grabbing a 240' length of it. Even if I don't figure out a way to attach it to a mat, doubling/tripling/sextupling it up should generate enough heat to say goodbye to any ice.

Took advantage of today's fine wx and wrangled some help to get the snow cleared from my ramp.
Actually managed to fly, too!

Of course, we're supposed to get hit with 5-7" of snow with freezing rain on Sat. ... (IOW, the prospects for Sun. are grim)

I managed to get one leaf of my hangar door open about 6' only to realize it now wouldn't open or close. Finally got it closed and headed home

I managed to get one leaf of my hangar door open about 6' only to realize it now wouldn't open or close. Finally got it closed and headed home

You could have called for help! I'm only minutes up the road !!

-VanDy

Doug has that torch gizmo I could borrow if I really need to get in there

It's ok hopefully the rain and temps will melt everything
Up here though, not necessarily. :(
What and how much we get is very sensitive to the storm track, which is still uncertain. We could get 6" or more, or we could get 3" followed by enough rain to melt everything. With the latest guidance, VLL is on target to get the worst of it.

I'm out for this weekend anyway, too much left to do for work and little chance I'll get it all done tomorrow. And NO FRAKKING WAY am I going to have time to deal with the ice on the ramp on Sunday morning.

Freezing rain here too late Saturday, followed by snow Saturday night and into Sunday morning.

I like winter but this is getting to be a tad much.

Back