Great Lakes Meet Up 1/18 or 1/19

Sorry to hear that Liz. I was hoping you would be dug out by this weekend.

Turns out I might be. I got out there later this evening and found only narrow a strip of ice in front of the door. So I put down some urea and if I have time, will go back there tomorrow and see if I can't clear it all away.

But then I have to make a decision, since I had to reschedule our hike today due to rain. If I can find someone to fill in for me (or if the meetup is Sunday), then I might still be able to make it.

Right now Sat is looking like an academic meet. Sun would be a go.

Later this evening, or tomorrow the long range forecast will be out for Sunday on this website

Right now, Saturday looks good for everyone but those in the "lake effect snow" areas of Michigan and Ohio.

Went by the airport yesterday and I'm not convinced the 310 will be done by the weekend. We'll see, but there's a lot left to do yet.

Well gang,
Looks like either day might work for those of us in the south, but we have lots of friends in MI too, Let me know if you feel Sunday is better or not. Jeannette has a cub scouts meeting but it isn't till 1600 local 2100Z so Sunday should be good for us too.

Lets start a list so I can give Ricks a heads up;

Tim and Jeannette / N5932V / Sat or Sun / 2

W, D, A, N / Full load in the RV-10 / Sunday / 4

This is the Midwest, why are you bothering to look 6-7 days out. You can't even look 6-7 hours out with any accuracy.

I am sure Ricks would like to know how many might be showing up at their restaurant and which day it is planned. Additionally it will take two or three days to get a response from everyone.

I meant weather wise.

I should be in. I went up today and the airplane didn't asplode into a million pieces upon landing.

That is always a plus. I went for about an hour with OMG no flight plan and didn't break anything.

Last edited:
I didn't fly today -- wasn't sure if the ramp would be clear, so didn't want to switch on the pre-heat. As it turned out, a) I woke up with a back spasm, b) between the urea and a few rays from old Aurinko, the ice was gone by afternoon. So I'm back in the running. I still would prefer Sunday since I'm not sure I can get someone to sub for me and I think I want to go on that hike anyway -- it will have been 3 weeks.

Now the big question will be how much snow we get this week... they're already forecasting 2 inches for Tuesday. If that's all it shouldn't be a showstopper, but like Ed says even 6 hours in the future the weathermeisters' crystal balls are pretty cloudy.

I went out to Ray on Friday with the hope of digging out a bit so I could maybe get out today ... Uh, no. And, monster snowbanks combined with my very low wings, well ... Maybe I'll see you guys in the spring

(Yeah, I was a no-go for this weekend anyways. I'm just grousing)

I went out to Ray on Friday with the hope of digging out a bit so I could maybe get out today ... Uh, no. And, monster snowbanks combined with my very low wings, well ... Maybe I'll see you guys in the spring

(Yeah, I was a no-go for this weekend anyways. I'm just grousing)

Don't worry, with the 310 still in about 310,000 pieces, I'm about as likely as well. But maybe I can get some time to work on the car? (yeah, right...)

Damn, Liz. Every time I start thinking again about maybe moving my plane to Ray, someone gives me another reason to think twice. :(

Hope we get a good warmup before spring so you can get some hours in this winter...

Tim Myers: Tim and Jeannette / N5932V / Sat or Sun / 2
Wayne: W, D, A, N / Full load in the RV-10 / Sunday / 4
Oliver: Martina and Oliver / Piper Archer / Sat or Sun (Sun preferred) / 2

:D

Damn, Liz. Every time I start thinking again about maybe moving my plane to Ray, someone gives me another reason to think twice. :(

Hope we get a good warmup before spring so you can get some hours in this winter...

It's a bit tough because "they" don't plow the hangar aprons. You have to volunteer as a snowplow operator in order to use the trucks. Although, it does help to have friends... I usually get a free pass or two with the plow. I also have use of a snowblower on offer.

The place was just overcome with this particular snowfall.
Snowbanks are okay for a high wing. But a bit too close for comfort for me, as there are a few obstacles that cause me concern when I can see them, let alone when I can't.

BTW, I keep thinking about moving to Troy. But hangar rents are just more than I care to pay.

Tim Winters: tim & ? / premo 182 / sat or sun (makes me no never mind) / 2

Unfortunately I am enjoying a couple of feet of fresh powder in Steamboat Springs right now with more on the way and will be forced to miss the gathering. :yes:

Cheers

That's ok Rick, enjoy your time. We will catch you in April. We will see if you can stir up ole deputy dog again this year.

Saracelica: Kate/Dave/Brian/Piper Warrior/Only available on Saturday/3 (but if everyone wants Sunday it's okay I'll catch you guys next time

BTW, I keep thinking about moving to Troy. But hangar rents are just more than I care to pay.
Hangar rents at Ray are actually higher than what I pay at Troy... another reason I'm reluctant to move. It would have to be a pretty unusual deal.

Saracelica: Kate/Dave/Brian/Piper Warrior/Only available on Saturday/3 (but if everyone wants Sunday it's okay I'll catch you guys next time
Azure: Liz / Cardinal RG (The Branded Bird) / Sun preferred, Sat not sure yet if I can make it / 1

Azure: Liz / Cardinal RG (The Branded Bird) / Sun preferred, Sat not sure yet if I can make it / 1
Prellwitz: Leslie, Grant, Jim (Inst)
/Skyhawk N6031L/Saturday/3

(Someone else had the plane booked Sunday, but we might be able to get it then.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sunday's forecast is up and it's looking far better than Saturday. But, at others have siad, it's a long way off.

Sunday's forecast is up and it's looking far better than Saturday. But, at others have siad, it's a long way off.

+1

I also checked Chicago, Fort Wayne, Detroit, Columbus, Grand Rapids and Toledo, for pilots coming from further noth - the forecasts for all of these cities also favor Sunday.

Cheers,

Oliver

Can't come Saturday myself, might be able Sunday. But whatever you do, don't delay a good party on my account.

And potential attendees take note...

KIND is only six miles away and the runways are the same NNE/SSW orientation..

Do NOT mistake KEYE's 4,000' next to the lake runway for KIND's 11,000' x 2 runways.

No one will be happy if you do!

Yeah, I know, it's a long shot but if it can happen at Branson...

:goofy:

Prellwitz: Leslie, Grant, Jim (Inst)/Skyhawk N6031L/Saturday/3
flyingcheesehead: Kent, Kelsey/Mooney N97ST/Sat or Sun, Sat pref/2

And do we have a solid time? Remember that some of us are in Central time, so we'd prefer it to be on the later side...

Spoke with Tim (central time) Winters today and he is fine with noon Indiana time 1700 Z. Kent, you are also central time. Is that too early? If it is too early we can shoot for the 1745 1800 Z time frame

I spoke to Jack at Rick's today and he said either day is fine with them. He also said the noon time is fine. He was thrilled because he says their business is a little down this time of year.

Spoke with Tim (central time) Winters today and he is fine with noon Indiana time 1700 Z. Kent, you are also central time. Is that too early? If it is too early we can shoot for the 1745 1800 Z time frame

Hey Tim,

I'd certainly prefer 1800Z... And I saw that Grant was talking about 12:30 or later as well.

That's kewl. We will make it 1300 Lcl and 1800z. Saturday seems to be the more popular day, so lets shoot for that and watch the weather to see if we need to shift to Sunday. MI and WI folk don't be bashful about asking for Sunday if the lake effect crud dictates that.

And potential attendees take note...

KIND is only six miles away and the runways are the same NNE/SSW orientation..

Do NOT mistake KEYE's 4,000' next to the lake runway for KIND's 11,000' x 2 runways.

No one will be happy if you do!

Yeah, I know, it's a long shot but if it can happen at Branson...

:goofy:

Eagle Creek is incredibly easy to spot from the air. Look for the big reservoir on the west side of Indy. The airport is immediately east of that body of water. Immediately, as in literarily on the other side of the street. Down wind for 03 is right over the reservoir.

Special credit for whoever can spot from the air and report the location of the Colts complex and the Indy 500 track.

Last edited:
I think we are in Saturday or Sunday. Put us down for 2.1 (Two adults, plus an infant). We may be late due to nap schedule, etc.

I took it as such. I was really trying to be helpful for others. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

All's good. BTW...they're forecasting light snow across the IND area on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, do they usually clear EYE pretty quickly?

We're still a few days out but Saturday keeps looking worse. A few days ago they were only forecasting cloud cover over northern OH and for most of MI. Now they're forecasting all of IN and IL to be overcast also on Saturday with light snow across the area.

Sunday looks far better, especially by 1pm EST. Monday looks the best! (yeah, I know, some poor souls have to work for a living ;) )

Here's my "source":

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/conusWeek.php?expandweek=ON#tabs

All's good. BTW...they're forecasting light snow across the IND area on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, do they usually clear EYE pretty quickly?
Honestly, I can't say. I will say that I have never seen snow on the runway. But I haven't tried to fly in the stuff, either. If it's light, it probably won't accumulate on the runway anyway, though. So, Sunday shouldn't be a problem even if we have light snow on Saturday. I can always call the FBO and ask and post as to their reported status.

Back