SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Pretty sneaky:
http://hawkcentral.press-citizen.com/article/20100204/HAWKS0102/100204006/1053

article said:
Approximately 160 members of the Illinois student section, the Orange Krush, sat behind the north basket and taunted the Iowa players throughout the game, including chanting “this is our house” after Illinois had prevailed, 57-49.
Most of the members of the Orange Krush arrived for Wednesday’s game wearing black and gold attire to give the impression they were Iowa fans. They even booed the Illinois players during pre-game warm-ups in order to conceal their identity.

However, right before the tip-off, they stripped down to their Orange Krush T-shirts, which they had been hiding, and turned what was supposed to be a hostile road environment into a home away from home.

Video here:
http://www.qctimes.com/sports/college/big-10/iowa/vmix_3a3807fe-114f-11df-8513-001cc4c03286.html

They must have good crowd control these days. 30 years ago, those Illini kids would have gotten a severe beating.

Trapper John

This makes it sound like there were not a lot of Hawkeye fans there

The fact that attendance for Iowa men’s basketball games has been on a steady decline made it easier for the Illinois students to purchase tickets as a group because so many tickets were still available.
Maybe the Iowa fans were outnumbered?

This makes it sound like there were not a lot of Hawkeye fans there

Maybe the Iowa fans were outnumbered?

In the video, you can see how empty the place is....

I think Illinois took over, much like Lobo fans do in Fort Collins every year (except this one...they are not doing too badly this year).

In the video, you can see how empty the place is....

Wow. I heard Hawkeye attendence was down, but I didn't realize it was that bad...Back in the Lute Olson days, the old Fieldhouse was consistently packed.

Trapper John

Of course, don't forget that Iowa made a huge mistake in firing Steve Alford...potential coach of the year this year.

Of course, don't forget that Iowa made a huge mistake in firing Steve Alford...potential coach of the year this year.

I don't think he was fired. He quit to go to UNM, IIRC.

Trapper John

Hey... wait a sec. This post crosses the bridge between two of my favorite things. Illini chat forums and pilot forums... Cool.

It's pretty hilarious what the Krush did on Wed night.

They've done this (the covert mission) at least one other time at Iowa (2004/5 season), but ended up in the upper decks. To get an entire section directly behind the opponents 2nd half basket was a beautiful thing.

Back