Great flying on Sunday

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
... or thankfully I didn't go on with my original flight plan. That was a DA40 @ gross(4 people) to a small strip in PA and then KIAG... That slow cold front just south of Buffalo with line of t-storms thankfully spooked me and i scrapped all that and left for a nice solo flight to north east. Otherwise I would probably be killed my wife.

First, no AP. Rental with a last minute plane change from a different Diamond. Well, this one had a big INOP on the AP(some other issues too, but nothing serious). I took that as a nice challenge and actually enjoyed that. Good way of not getting complacent. But it is tiring in this weather. It was hot and bumpy at anything below 6000. Again, i'm glad i did it without my wife. There is definitely a value in AP. VFR or IFR. On the plus side, the plane had broken Hobbs.. so i got a nice discount :) with tach time

Anyway. Little IFR, lots of VFR, some interesting winds and gusts, puffy clouds everywhere, and a lot of turbulance. New airports, beach, little airport resort action with a pool, Hudson River Skyline route, awesome aviation/war museum at KMIV, lots of traffic in some areas.

Flying down the Hudson is pretty awesome. Of course, this would have been more enjoyable in a nicer conditions without all these thermals throwing me around while i trying to maintain my altitude. Still, pretty cool to look at the Freedom Tower tip at just about my altitude

12 hour day, 4.4 hours tach time, 6 destinations. I was pretty beat by the time i got back. But this was definitely a nice experience.

Good that you don't want to get complacent flying only with the auto pilot, but it is also a tool to be used. Getting to know Otto and how to use it can be beneficial.

I know I can fly straight and level so I use the AP during cruise, but I usually hand fly the departures and arrivals, unless any part is IMC and I have passengers.

Otherwise sounds like a fun day of flying..!!

Back