Great flight through the Rockies

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
Recently I posted in the AOPA forums looking for a Mooney in Colorado that I could look at to see if it would fit my mission. As luck would have it Eric Jensen emailed me and said that he was going to fly to Kremmling (20V) (from Fort Collins, FNL) on Saturday for an EAA fly-in breakfast. He said that he was willing to pick me up at Steamboat (SBS) and take me to the fly-in so I could see his Mooney and see how it flew. Seeing how I needed to be down in the Front Range on Saturday afternoon, I asked if he would be willing to take me down there with him after the breakfast.
It was a great day for flying in the Rocky Mtns. Eric picked me up at SBS right on time. He let me fly the plane from SBS to 20V. Wow, after flying Cessnas only, the Mooney is definitely a step up. With 9000’ DA we still were making an easy 500’/min climb. This was my first time flying in the mountains (even though I live near Steamboat and in the mts, I did all my training at BJC), with tips from Eric, I flew us over Rabbit Ears Pass and towards Kremmling. Once close to Kremmling, Eric took the controls and greased us onto the runway. The approach to runway 27 at 20V is a little unique in that on downwind to base you have to go around a hill, and totally lose sight of the runway. You have to start your base to final turn without seeing the runway. Here is picture on final for 27:
LandingKremmling20V.jpg

We came over the mtns in the distance.
After the standard fly in breakfast, and looking at a bunch of well built experimental planes (mostly RVs), we took off to fly over the Rockies. Eric asked if I would rather fly or sight see. Knowing that the sights would be awesome, I elected to sight see instead. As we flew towards the continental divide, Eric pointed out places that he camped and patrolled when he worked as a patrol ranger for the Forest Service out of Kremmling. Truly beautiful places that must have been a joy to work in!
We overflew a guest “ranch” that has its own strip. The strip looked very challenging, one way with no real option for a go around, add in that it is narrow, and that it sits at almost 9000’ MSL, and it looks like a challenge.
Here is a picture of the strip:
PrivateRanchStrip.jpg

Here is a picture of the “Ranch” and it’s ammenites:
TheRanch.jpg

As we flew towards the pass, I was greeted by many beautiful vistas:
The spine of the United States:
RockiesofftheWing.jpg

Grand Lake:
GrandLake.jpg

Unidentified lakes near the pass:

LakeintheRockies.jpg

Rocks off the wing:
RocksClose1.jpg

RocksClose2.jpg

The pass we went over:
ThePass1.jpg

ThePass2.jpg

All in all it was a great day. I can’t thank Eric enough for picking me up and taking me along on his trip.

Tony sounds like a great trip. Never bet Eric but have heard fine things about him. If you are serious about a mooney Ted Dupuis from this board has a friend moving to CO who is looking to sell her F model. Send him a PM

Tony sounds like a great trip. Never bet Eric but have heard fine things about him. If you are serious about a mooney Ted Dupuis from this board has a friend moving to CO who is looking to sell her F model. Send him a PM

Unfortunately, I am not ready to purchase right now. Probably in 8-12 months though...

Pictures came out nice, Tony. It was a good day to fly. Glad things worked out. Nice to meet you. You'll find your plane.

Eric

Eric's the best. We did some flying in his M20F and my Tiger when I lived on the Front Range. Great pics. I miss the mountains!

Mari. Did you do the mapping out of an FBO at Erie? They do a lot of that stuff and some other work for the government.

Mari. Did you do the mapping out of an FBO at Erie? They do a lot of that stuff and some other work for the government.
No, but I'm familiar with that company. I saw one of their airplanes out at KBJC a year or so ago with the logo on the tail from the first company I ever worked for in the business when I was a camera operator (circa 1980). I went over and spoke to them because I was curious about it. I guess they are the contractors for that company and others. Mapping has changed a lot even in the 10 years I've been away from it. It's become really computerized and they used digital imaging and LIDAR quite a bit now instead of film. They also use GPS extensively in their mapping and surveying solutions as well as for flying the lines. I remember when everything was done manually and visually. I guess that makes me a old fart...

They did an Annual on my Tiger one year. Aerosystems or something like that. I spent some time talking to the owner about their ops when I was up there. Pretty interesting stuff. The also test some defense systems in their planes.

Your not old, just "seasoned". :D

Well I just googled it (on my iPhone), and the first two results related to this location. The rest of them, not so much :)

LMAO, I knew what your map would show before it came up.:D

I worked out of Kremmling for 6 years and never heard an historical explaination for Granny's Nipple. I will say it does look like what you might imagine (if you were so inclined) an older breast might resemble.

The fancy ranch was the Little King Ranch for you Texans. And we used Bucahnan Pass, just south of Long's Pak. Here is the route for the day.

Nice pictures!

I was reviewing your route online, and found a very uniquely named mountain peak... gotta wonder what the story is behind THAT one: :rolleyes:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=40.272945,-106.457992&spn=0.018926,0.027595&t=p&z=15

Attachments

• sms-20V-lmo.jpg
    sms-20V-lmo.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 9
  • SBS-20V-LMO.kmz
    8.2 KB · Views: 3
Back