Grayling AAF - dun lernt sump'in.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
So, I'm planning fuel stops, have the FBO 100LL layer turned on in SkyVector so I can observe the hopelessly out of date fuel prices, and what do I see?

upload_2018-8-9_13-41-29.png
Grayling Army Air Field - $4.75.

What the???? The National Guard pilots have to pay for their own gas?

I had always seen the AAF and just assumed it's a no-go and ignored it. Turns out it's a public use field (joint with military) and you can actually stop there for gas (or whatever).

Who woulda thunk.

So, I'm planning fuel stops, have the FBO 100LL layer turned on in SkyVector so I can observe the hopelessly out of date fuel prices, and what do I see?

View attachment 66104
Grayling Army Air Field - $4.75.

What the???? The National Guard pilots have to pay for their own gas?

I had always seen the AAF and just assumed it's a no-go and ignored it. Turns out it's a public use field (joint with military) and you can actually stop there for gas (or whatever).

Who woulda thunk.
Yup...landed there before. Is Alpena still joint? I've landed there many years ago, and there were signs that said something like "If you're a civilian and you turn left here, you'll meet guys with guns".

Is Alpena still joint?
Appears to be: "TWY 'A' WEST OF TWY 'C' AND TWY 'B' RESTRICTED TO MILITARY ONLY.", but I've not been in there.

The "AAF" on Grayling is what had me totally fooled - I just assumed...
But it's almost exactly half way to SAW (Sawyer / Marquette) on a nearly straight line to where I plan to cross the straights (after I do the fish hook around the bottom of the DTW class B).

Last edited:
Back