Gray Cloud but Silver lining for Ocracoke flight

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Well its 10:46 P.M. Monday eveing and I am sitting in my family room writing this on my laptop. As some are aware from my previous thread. I was supposed to fly from Wings to W96 Ocracoke for four days with my wife and another couple.

As luck would have it the weather SUCKED up and down the entire coast today and due to the stationary front that has been..... well stationary for a few days things won't improve much for the entire dang week. Warm moist air is acutally pushing west off the Atlantic inland ( over Ocracoke of course) pusing the front west and crating a mass of goo, clagg, rain , crapola over all of the 13 orginal colonies LOL. So the trip was scrubed due to weather. I was so much looking forward to getting away for 4 days now its back to the office. Sigh Safety First.

So here is the Silver lining and a bit of a plug if I may. We were supposed to stay at the Anchorage Inn and Marina in Ocracoke. They have a 3 day cancellation policy. I called the Inn this moring and spoke with Patty and told her we were socked in. She knew we were flying b/c her notes indicated we needed a pick up from the airport. She sympathised and said she hoped we could get out.

Our go/no go drop dead time was 1:00P.M. At 12:55 P.M. it was raining so hard I almost couldn't see out my window at the office. So I called Patty at the Anchorage told her to release our rooms. She said it was pouring there but was sunny earlier.

I was anxious as to wether I would hear "gee sorry you can't come but since you didn't give the 3 days notice of cancellation you loose some $$.
I asked her if there it we could use the reservation at a later date. Here was her response:

" ABSOLUTLY. I spoke with the owner of the Inn and told him you were a pilot and were flying in. He said no cancellation fee for these guys they are pilots. If they were'nt flying in it would be a different story but we understand that when your flying in you are at the mercy of the weather and we hope to see them reschedual"

You bet we're reschedualing. This is a business owner that IMHO has earned the business of myself and other pilots. I hear the Inn is nice but have never stayed there. However I'm not ashamed to give the Anchorage Inn and Marina a big ole Plug for thier pro pilot business practices." Patronize them if you can.

AdamZ said:
n. He said no cancellation fee for these guys they are pilots. If they were'nt flying in it would be a different story but we understand that when your flying in you are at the mercy of the weather and we hope to see them reschedual"

. This is a business owner that IMHO has earned the business of myself and other pilots. I

I would be willing to bet that when you do go, giving this guy (maybe he has a kid that would like to go as well) a flight would make his day!! Food for thought.
KD

cherokeeflyboy said:
I would be willing to bet that when you do go, giving this guy (maybe he has a kid that would like to go as well) a flight would make his day!! Food for thought.
KD

Read my mind KD!:yes:

AdamZ said:
However I'm not ashamed to give the Anchorage Inn and Marina a big ole Plug for thier pro pilot business practices." Patronize them if you can.

I plan on getting over there sometime soon, and that fellow just won some more business. I'm saving the name fo his Inn...

Adam,

Sorry you couldn't go. Maybe put a note in Airnav for the place.

I wonder if Gaston's would do that?

Bueller?
Bueller?

"Oh, Mr Cutler, that will be $20 for asking about Bueller, thank you for choosing Gaston's."

Adam:

Bummer about the weather, I was wondering if you made it. Certainly has been ugly for what, five days in a row now? I've run into the same situation as you of making reservations and then having to scrub because of weather, it's actually tougher on me as I'm not IFR rated. The Anchorage has always been understanding in these situations, but so have a few other places (Pelican Inn, Pony Island Inn, Blackbeard's Lodge). It's nice that they do so!

Gary

Bill Jennings said:
I plan on getting over there sometime soon, and that fellow just won some more business. I'm saving the name fo {sic} his Inn...

Adam,

Ditto. We often drive to the outer banks for our long family vacation but I've been thinking it would make a great long weekend trip at other times. I've jotted down the name of the Inn.

Thanks,

Len

P.S. Note that it is not the same as flying but if you drive you can make Kitty Hawk in under 8 hours from our neck of the woods. Add about an hour for mid Hatteras island. Ocracoke adds a bit to the trip for the ferry ride (both waiting and travel time).

LL

Bill Jennings said:
I plan on getting over there sometime soon, and that fellow just won some more business. I'm saving the name fo his Inn...

Ditto. It's nice when business owners think about long term reputation and not short term profits.

I scheduled a trip to Bar Harbor 3 years ago for a long weekend at a B and B. The day before the scheduled departure, I had to put my dad in the hospital for the illness that eventually took his life. I called the owner, explained the situation, and asked to reschedule at a future, off-peak time. His 30 second or so response was basically...."tough crap, I'm not responsible for your personal problems, thanks for the $$ in advance". So much for New England hospitality.

I, too, enjoy Ocracoke...I'll have to try this establishment next time I head down.

Greg
182RG

Anthony said:
Adam,

Sorry you couldn't go. Maybe put a note in Airnav for the place.

Thought of that Anthony but they have no listing in AirNav. When I get down there I plan on suggesting it to him.

Back