Grass Strips with Fuel

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
I'm sure someone has a link or a list -- looking for a list of airports with grass strips or parallel turf landing areas that also have fuel.

Anyone? Anyone?

i thought EAA had a list...I know Diana has done a lot of research for her grass strip tours

I'm sure someone has a link or a list -- looking for a list of airports with grass strips or parallel turf landing areas that also have fuel.

Anyone? Anyone?

Here is one list that I use:

http://www.vintageaircraft.org/news/Alpha Grass Runways PDF.pdf

The information is about 2 years old, but is good nonetheless. It is organized by sectional, by state. It doesn't include private airports that sell fuel...I found those other ways.

Were you wanting to know for mainly your area, or a broader area?

Here is one list that I use:

http://www.vintageaircraft.org/news/Alpha Grass Runways PDF.pdf

The information is about 2 years old, but is good nonetheless. It is organized by sectional, by state. It doesn't include private airports that sell fuel...I found those other ways.

Were you wanting to know for mainly your area, or a broader area?

Thanks... I'd come across this one, and it's helpful, but missing lots of airports where parallel landings on the grass are permitted (KFWQ, for example).

I was looking for a list that includes within 400 nm of my area -- something like the super-cool Google earth file someone linked in your grass tour thread...

Did I just sign myself up for a database task? :eek:

Just look for the four little rectangles stuck on the outside of the circle on the chart.:goofy:

I was looking for a list that includes within 400 nm of my area -- something like the super-cool Google earth file someone linked in your grass tour thread...
Oh, yeah, that would be Joe Areeda that did that. He's such a sweetheart. :yes:

I found a lot of grass strips with fuel by posting on different aviation forums, like this one, AOPA, backcountrypilot.org, the Citabria forum, etc. Sometimes I found them by word of mouth. And sometimes I'd land at an airport and hang out and learn about more of them. Sometimes people on a grass strip with a private stock of fuel would let me have some of theirs. :)

Did I just sign myself up for a database task? :eek:
:yes: :D I'm looking forward to using your new database. :D

most airports where the taildragger crowd lands next to the runway in the grass probably don't publish that information in any official documentation.

most airports where the taildragger crowd lands next to the runway in the grass probably don't publish that information in any official documentation.

I agree to that,,, Its the ol, "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

yea we went through it with our glider club. particularly during development of the airport master plan. they really didn't like it when we called the grass next to the runway a runway. runways have safety zones and minimum spacing and bunch of other official crap associated with them.

I agree to that,,, Its the ol, "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

Right -- I know the FWQ grass landing area is unofficial.

The VVS one was used for years until the new sheriff rode in. Now it's "dangerous" and breaks all sorts of "rules" and "insurance requirements."

:mad2:

Right -- I know the FWQ grass landing area is unofficial.

The VVS one was used for years until the new sheriff rode in. Now it's "dangerous" and breaks all sorts of "rules" and "insurance requirements."

:mad2:

Sounds like it's time to round up the posse and rustle that 'newguy' right back out of Dodge.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::eek:

Well you could always learn how to land on pavement :yesnod::rofl:

Well you could always learn how to land on pavement :yesnod::rofl:

Did you read this thread?

Old taildraggers were not designed for paved runways. The prop is out of the dirt as you taxi around, the grass helps bump the bird upward as it gains flying speed, the grass allows the tires to slide just enough to rescue a landing with drift, and a grass landing – properly done – can make a landing very “cushiony” according to my daughter. Landing on pavement is like root canal –necessary, but not sought-after.

Oh, yeah, that would be Joe Areeda that did that. He's such a sweetheart. :yes:

I found a lot of grass strips with fuel by posting on different aviation forums, like this one, AOPA, backcountrypilot.org, the Citabria forum, etc. Sometimes I found them by word of mouth. And sometimes I'd land at an airport and hang out and learn about more of them. Sometimes people on a grass strip with a private stock of fuel would let me have some of theirs. :)

:yes: :D I'm looking forward to using your new database. :D

OK -- I'll PM Joe and hope mightily he's already done all the hard work. :D

OK -- I'll PM Joe and hope mightily he's already done all the hard work. :D
No PM yet but hey Dan what airport at the center and how many miles away. I use the FAA database of airports (includes Diana and Tom's home phone number) for the search. Do you want it as a Google Earth kml file or a big list?

I am also willing to provide a mysql database dump for anyone who has a good use for it.

Joe

No PM yet but hey Dan what airport at the center and how many miles away. I use the FAA database of airports (includes Diana and Tom's home phone number) for the search. Do you want it as a Google Earth kml file or a bit list?

I am also willing to provide a mysql database dump for anyone who has a good use for it.

Joe

The PM was on my round tuit list -- sorry! :redface:

I'm based at KWAY, and am looking to roam up to 400nm.

I'd love the sql dump!

The PM was on my round tuit list -- sorry! :redface:

I'm based at KWAY, and am looking to roam up to 400nm.

I'd love the sql dump!
Attached is a KMZ file. It works fine with Google Earth but there seems to be some gotcha with maps.google.com that I don't understand. Specs say they should be compatible. Any insight is appreciated.

My DB is a couple of months out of date (l-a-z-y) but you're welcome to it. I need an email address that can take a BIG attachment.

Joe

Attachments

• TurfNearkway.kmz
    14.6 KB · Views: 12
Back