grass strip landings?

OK OK Finally an excuse to tell my grass strip story

Last year, in late August, I spent a week finishing up my tail wheel endorsement on a grass strip on Martha's Vineyard. So all week up and down I went on three grass strips at Katama in a Citabria and a Birddog. On the last day I kept seeing this neat looking hawk sitting on a post midfield on 17. I even mentioned it to my CFI and we both watched it most of the afternoon. Friday came and I get my tail-wheel endorsement and go home. The nextweek the Birding world is all a buzz over a sighting of a never seen in north america red footed falcon. From that moment on hundreds and hundreds of birders flocked to Katama every day. I can only imagine trying to get a tail wheel endorsement with 300 hundred bird watchers scowling at my ever landing. Too bad I had no idea what I was looking at or I might have gotten credit for the sighting.

Anyway, grass is great, don't be afraid of it.

corjulo said:
OK OK Finally an excuse to tell my grass strip story

Last year, in late August, I spent a week finishing up my tail wheel endorsement on a grass strip on Martha's Vineyard. So all week up and down I went on three grass strips at Katama in a Citabria and a Birddog. On the last day I kept seeing this neat looking hawk sitting on a post midfield on 17. I even mentioned it to my CFI and we both watched it most of the afternoon. Friday came and I get my tail-wheel endorsement and go home. The nextweek the Birding world is all a buzz over a sighting of a never seen in north america red footed falcon. From that moment on hundreds and hundreds of birders flocked to Katama every day. I can only imagine trying to get a tail wheel endorsement with 300 hundred bird watchers scowling at my ever landing. Too bad I had no idea what I was looking at or I might have gotten credit for the sighting.

Anyway, grass is great, don't be afraid of it.

And they'd be giving you dirty looks without knowing (or caring) that you'd been flying in and out all week without the falcon even caring. Good story.

Back