Grass strip help

I was on short final at a large fenced in highly secure delta at night. It was probably a coyote or deer. Neither I no my CFI saw the animal, since it was dark. But someone on the ground saw it walking between the lights. All I knew was someone got on the radio and yelled "Go around! Go around!"

Don't have to tell me twice. Someone on the radio yelling "STOP!" or "GO!" as far as I'm concerned is an ask questions later situation.

I once saw a completely fenced in airport with at least 15 dear running all over hell trying to figure out how to escape. The guy at the FBO just sighed and said they never had a deer problem until the fences were built to keep them out and now they are constantly stuck inside.

The 195 also drew a crowd but I never felt confident in it. If I ground looped it it would collapse the gear case and I'd be out big bucks. I had no trouble with flying a 180 which I flew some after owning the Stearman. The 195 I sold and to make matters worse , a pal owned one and his daughter soloed in his and got her private in it! ( she now flys a Gulf Stream.)That really made me humble. Another person who had hauled fish in a 195 in Alaska , later can airline pilot, flew mine around like a cub. It baffled me so I sold it.

The 195 also drew a crowd but I never felt confident in it. If I ground looped it it would collapse the gear case and I'd be out big bucks. I had no trouble with flying a 180 which I flew some after owning the Stearman. The 195 I sold and to make matters worse , a pal owned one and his daughter soloed in his and got her private in it! ( she now flys a Gulf Stream.)That really made me humble. Another person who had hauled fish in a 195 in Alaska , later can airline pilot, flew mine around like a cub. It baffled me so I sold it.

Sometimes I just plain don't want all the work the 180 is, and wish for a 182 or similar with electric trim, rudder trim, and all the goodies.

It would be so easy to fly compared to the skywagon.

I'm no expert but I think as you keep flying it, it will become second nature to you. When I was younger, many of them were around and no one seemed too concerned. The one I remember best was always landed on the pavement at my home airport without ever a problem. He flew 3 buddy's all around Ontario and Michigan fishing.

What Pedals said! Very few, if any, uncontrolled fields in this area are fenced at all.

Tony,

You're really not an optimist or cheery person are you? Gloom and doom seems to be your forte. Especially when it comes to grass strips. Don't like 'em then don't fly on 'em. But many of us would rather smoke...er...land on grass than on pavement.

Any day, all day long, wheel pants on, wheel pants off, private, public, the whole gamut, never had a problem.

Hide in your basement if you want/need to Tony...but leave us grass lovers alone.

I've logged at least 500 landings on grass. Nary an issue.

Not sure why you think I do not like grass strips. I hangar and live at one myself and love it. I to have logged over 500 landing on grass strips in nothing but a taildragger. Only way to fly.

In my ultralight days, I had an engine out right after take off. In making an off field landing, I ended up right over the top of a ditch that was around 30' across and 25' deep. I stalled just as I was crossing to the other side of this ditch at about 15' above the ground.

Being in a open cockpit ultralight, I screamed as I stalled. In doing so there was a buck that looked to be 10 point or more, he picked his head up just in time to see me, I thought I was getting killed my this dear, if i would not have screamed I would have landed right on top of him. He leaped out of the way just as I slammed down where he was standing.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I think as you keep flying it, it will become second nature to you. When I was younger, many of them were around and no one seemed too concerned. The one I remember best was always landed on the pavement at my home airport without ever a problem. He flew 3 buddy's all around Ontario and Michigan fishing.

I never forget how fortunate I am to be in a position to own a skywagon. It's a pilot's dream to fly.

It does everything any airplane I've ever flown does, and some things better. They just have their quirks like everything else.

I may hate on her on pavement, but I love her for her grASS. :wink2: Kind of like any marriage. :lol:

In my ultralight days, I had an engine out right after take off. In making an off field landing, I ended up right over the top of a ditch that was around 30' across and 25' deep. I stalled just as I was crossing to the other side of this ditch at about 15' above the ground.

Being in a open cockpit ultralight, I screamed as I stalled. In doing so there was a buck that looked to be 10 point or more, he picked his head up just in time to see me, I thought I was getting killed my this dear, if i would not have screamed I would have landed right on top of him. He leaped out of the way just as I slammed down where he was standing.

That's one for the grandkids.... :eek:

Glad you made it.

I know it's easy to armchair quarterback, but I took some training, and I agree with it and the statistics that in all cases, never stall. Fly the plane under control into the trees, the rocks, the water, the deer, whatever, ... but never stall. I only say this so maybe you'll agree with me and we both try it, if it ever happens again. And maybe put in a horn? :idea::lol:

A maule is an excellent backcountry aircraft. Why do you think the CIA used them a great deal in Vietnam? A pal has one at the local airport with only 180 hp. It's amazing what it will do. But of course he's high time in taildraggers and he's got a lot of time in the maule. This field pictured is easy for a super cub, maule, rans coyote, rans 7 with a 912 ROTAX, cub, champ with 0200, on and on. As for shooting anyone who might land there, anyone who talks like that should not even own an aircraft. Mentally deficient should not fly.
I loved my 180hp Maule - flew it for 1700 hours or so. I really loved it but it seemed to have some deficiencies as well - relative to STOL operations I never found a way to really get it to do steep approaches over an obstacle. I had a model with the extra notch of flaps (over similar models with one less notch). The extra notch somehow did nothing to steepen the approach. Full rudder side slip, minimum speed, full flaps gave you a reasonably steep approach but absolutely required a burst of power during the flare so you'd have enough pitch authority to complete the flare. Too much technique required to get a consistent result. Think kicking out of the slip, flaring and applying just enough power all at the same time. It works but it's not easy or desirable. TW gods forgive me but a C150 can do a steep approach better.

I loved the reflex flaps for descents but they didn't add even .5knots to cruise despite what was advertised.

The aileron linked rudder tab seems to me just a design deficiency compensation. It would never fly straight with your feet on the floor but you could take your hands off the yoke and just keep the wings level with the rudder. Learning to keep it coordinated was one of its endearing qualities.

All landing ops could and should be done 3 point. I learned to do wheelies in it when I had a rash of flat tailwheels due to a tow bar problem but otherwise they were completely unnecessary even in a maximum tolerable xwind. Nothing wrong with that, just somewhat unique.

I REALLY loved my Maule but it's a crude design with plenty of endearing warts. Two years after selling it I finally lost my Maule-required touch and can no longer grease my too easy to fly RV10 100% of the time.

Did I say I really really loved my Maule?

Back