Granddaughter's First Flight!

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
So yesterday my granddaughter, Kelsey, and her mom, Joy, and I went up, Kelsey's and Joy's first time with me; I had just purchased her "youth" headset.

Engine was already warmed up with the heaters, had a nice direct x-wind of about 10-14 knots, and the temperature was about 50degF.

So, after the runup, we call our intentions at M17, start our rollout, and as soon as we are in the air, Kelsey is going nuts! She loved it! Hardly got into the left crosswind turn when she was insisting we do a touch-n-go, so we just had to do that.

Left turn out, head over to the house via Joy's alma mater, Southwest Baptist University (which she was able to recognize, in spite of all the new additions/construction), then over to the house for a turn around the point.

Well, it's been 20, maybe 30 minutes; ready to go back? "No, paw-paw!" Ok, so it's off to Stockton lake for a quick flyover. Kick on the GPS, discover we're only doing about 85mphgs. Still, it's incredibly smooth. See all the really big bridges (don't go over to the dam, as time is a crunch--the kids have a 2-1/2 hour drive ahead of them, and Kelsey's little brother will be cranky if'n we don't move along), then head back.

Zip along at 137mph over the ground, SGF app. calls traffic, so we divert just a little, which impresses Joy. We never see it, but it's never a factor. Overfly the house on the way back to M17, make one last call to SGF app. Thanks for the service, and for making my 5 y.o. grandaughter's first flight enjoyable. "My pleasure" is the response.

Left downwind, left base, final for 36, then land, offload, park in the hangar, then hugs and kisses, and off they went home.

I fear I have created a monster, and another addict.:yesnod: Regardless, it did this old geezer good to finally take Kelsey up. She was all smiles the whole time.

The first photo was taken by her dad, David; the second we're on our first take-off, the third after the touch-n-go, and the fourth, just as we are rounding the turn to the hangar.

Attachments

• P1050056.JPG
    P1050056.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • Kelsey's First Flight, 11-16-08 014.jpg
    Kelsey's First Flight, 11-16-08 014.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Kelsey's First Flight, 11-16-08 022.jpg
    Kelsey's First Flight, 11-16-08 022.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Kelsey's First Flight, 11-16-08 086.jpg
    Kelsey's First Flight, 11-16-08 086.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 44
FANTASTIC! Great story and thanks for sharing the photos! :thumbsup:

How old is she? My daughters are 4, and I haven't gotten them up yet but I hope to soon.

D'oh! (To quote Homer Simpson.) Kelsey is 4yrs, 9months old. BTW, "Girls don't fly" was her mantra a year ago, even after we saw Katie, a young lady from Ireland building up hours, land at FTT solo, hop out of the C150 and gas it up alone. She knows better now! One of these days, I'll have to introduce her to Diana or Kim or...!:goofy::wink2:

Excellent! This "paw-paw" stuff is kinda cool, isn't it? :)

That's great! Congratulations to you, Kelsey and her Mom. My son is really looking forward to his first flight. He'll be 5 in December.

How do you like the Sigtronics youth headset? We are thinking of buying them for Nate, too.

Oh, what memories!!! It will be a day that you will both remember forever. Wait till you overhear her telling her friends about flying with her Paw-Paw. Then your heart will swell up all over again.
Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:
Linda

That's great! Congratulations to you, Kelsey and her Mom. My son is really looking forward to his first flight. He'll be 5 in December.

How do you like the Sigtronics youth headset? We are thinking of buying them for Nate, too.

They're ok. Don't have frequency response as my Telex units, and they're not stereo; however, they fit Kelsey, and she enjoyed them.

I paid $170.00 from the good folks in Batavia, and they made it here in three days (just in time).

I would recommend them, with the above caveats. Enjoy!

She's a little cutie! :yes: Love her smile. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Oh, we did, Diana! Joy's earlier memories consisted of a missionary trip to Montana, wherein she almost crushed David's hand, especially on the hop from Spokane to Kalispell on the DeHaviland Dash-8 (I thought it was a great flight:yes:). She took 88 photos this time, and the flight only lasted about an hour, so she was too busy to get to nervous...

Now all I have to do is be able to afford flying everytime they visit us...:p

Hey Jim that is just awesome. Congrats! Money says its your favorite Pax of all time!!:D

Jim, your granddaughter's sunlit smile and your story made our day!! That's not a canned grin for Mom's picture-taking--she's quite obviously thrilled.

Good job!

Jim:

I know how you feel. I was blessed to be able take my grandson, 3 at the time, for his first flight. He totally trusted me. What an awesome responsibility. I have the pre-takeoff photo on my computer at work as my screensaver to remind me that some things are more important than others. Thanks for sharing your story.

Back