GPS technology refines takeoffs, landings at Love Field

I love articles about people that move near airports complaining about airport noise. In this case, the airport sneaked up on the residents. It's only been there since 1917 :lol:

Last edited:
Yes and it's not as if Love Field is a new airport that was put there after the current residents built there. I had a great uncle who took flight training there before going to France during World War ONE. That means the airport has been there for some 100 years. Additionally, it was the main Dallas airport before DFW opened in about 1973.

I love articles about people that move near airports complaining about airport noise. In this case, the airport sneaked up on the residents. It's only been there since 1917 :lol:

Just to be fair, it's not like people were landing turbojets there in 1917. And there certainly was A LOT less traffic.

Love may not be the main airport anymore, but there are still a lot of purple 737s there.

Just to be fair, it's not like people were landing turbojets there in 1917. And there certainly was A LOT less traffic.

Love may not be the main airport anymore, but there are still a lot of purple 737s there.

And to be realistic, I don't think the complainants are the ones who lived there in 1917. Usually I find that the complaints come from bored soccer-mom house-wives who have nothing better to do than write complaint letters about natural things occurring around the neighborhood they just move into.

It appears that you missed my point. The airport was there LONG before people decided to build homes around it. That particular area was not heavily populated until the World War II era. There was plenty of noise in place BEFORE people decided to build houses under the glide path. It's all too typical for people to build houses near an airport and THEN gritch about the noise.

It appears that you missed my point. The airport was there LONG before people decided to build homes around it. That particular area was not heavily populated until the World War II era. There was plenty of noise in place BEFORE people decided to build houses under the glide path. It's all too typical for people to build houses near an airport and THEN gritch about the noise.

I doubt there were too many jets there in 1945 either.

While there are some truly silly noise complaints, not all of them are silly just because they exist.

In 1956, LAX was contained entirely inside its current cargo area, and all the traffic was propeller driven. In 1960, it was three times the size and was served by 707s. The change all but destroyed two neighborhoods -- one on the coast very near the four DERs (and the old roads are still there), and the other near the arrival end of the 24s (the neighborhood near the 25s - the original runway -- was in a different city and was considered "colored" at the time, and was ignored). The DER neighborhood is vacant now, owned by LAWA, and the other neighborhood was converted to commercial. The airport had been there since the grass field days in the 20s, but its footprint, noise and traffic patterns changed dramatically.

Love has seen recent significant jet traffic increases due to its use as a hub for Southwest.

If you ignore all complaints just because they exist, you run the risk of them going around you. Reasonable responsiveness such as sensible noise abatement is essential if we want to keep our ability to fly where and when we want.

How I love the interwebz...

Intent was to show an article of airplanes using GPS and the purported NextGen system.

And we head off discussing neighborhoods, noise, history, and more.. :drool:

Loads of fun!!!!
:rollercoaster:

EDIT: Didn't watch video

Last edited:
How I love the interwebz...

Intent was to show an article of airplanes using GPS and the purported NextGen system.

And we head off discussing neighborhoods, noise, history, and more.. :drool:

Loads of fun!!!!
:rollercoaster:

The article mentioned the noise in the final paragraphs.

While there are some truly silly noise complaints, not all of them are silly just because they exist.

If you ignore all complaints just because they exist, you run the risk of them going around you. Reasonable responsiveness such as sensible noise abatement is essential if we want to keep our ability to fly where and when we want.

So, here's the counter: if you assume that neighborhoods will evolve and grow, why is it that airports can't evolve and grow.

OBTW, the video report says the noise corridor is much smaller now because aviation has adopted technology to mitigate it.

Last edited:
The article mentioned the noise in the final paragraphs.
The video was pretty much all about the noise. I'm not sure how they equate tighter landing and takeoff routing to less noise anyway. Then the guy set up his camera and tripod to take video of airplanes on final which doesn't prove anything with regard to the new arrivals and departures.

How many of the fine people complaining about the noise were PROPONENTS of repealing the Wright Amendment so they could fly farther from their backyard airport (that is too noisy)?

Love has seen recent significant jet traffic increases due to its use as a hub for Southwest.

On the contrary:
Duebner noted that even as passenger totals have increased, total takeoffs and landings at the Dallas airport have declined.

In 1996, for example, the airport had 222,726 takeoffs and landings, including 99,571 by airlines. In 2013, the total had dropped to 177,417, including 88,028 by airlines. The biggest drop came in general aviation, which fell from 95,620 takeoffs and landings in 1996 to 55,122 last year.
(http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...raffic-expected-to-jump-nearly-50-percent.ece)

Partially in response to complaints and as part of the Wright-Amendment anti-competition deal, the number of gates has been reduced, a nice new terminal was demolished, and a noise curfew was imposed. Oh, and a runway has been decommissioned.

Most of the complainers live in the nicest and most expensive neighborhoods in the area.

In 1956, LAX was contained entirely inside its current cargo area, and all the traffic was propeller driven. In 1960, it was three times the size and was served by 707s. The change all but destroyed two neighborhoods -- one on the coast very near the four DERs (and the old roads are still there), and the other near the arrival end of the 24s (the neighborhood near the 25s - the original runway -- was in a different city and was considered "colored" at the time, and was ignored). The DER neighborhood is vacant now, owned by LAWA, and the other neighborhood was converted to commercial. The airport had been there since the grass field days in the 20s, but its footprint, noise and traffic patterns changed dramatically.

So, are you under the impression that Southwest is NEW to Love Field? Since DFW was built, Love Field IS Southwest. For about fifteen years or so after DFW was built Southwest was the only airline operating out of Love with probably 20 or more gates.

Also, it sounds as if you think that a Constellation or an Electra didn't make any noise.

I basically contend, that if there is something annoying like an airport, a hog farm or a feedlot already in place and you move there knowing it, you have no room to gritch. They were there first, minding their own business. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Such actions include due diligence when selecting a location for buying or building a home or place of business. For those who want to live in a perfect world, they need to get a grip on reality and suck it up.

As far as LAX goes, those neighborhoods along Century Boulevard appear to be post war era. I would hope that those who built them and bought them went into it with eyes(and ears) wide open.

Last edited:
So, are you under the impression that Southwest is NEW to Love Field? Since DFW was built, Love Field IS Southwest. For about fifteen years or so after DFW was built Southwest was the only airline operating out of Love with probably 20 or more gates.

Also, it sounds as if you think that a Constellation or an Electra didn't make any noise.

I basically contend, that if there is something annoying like an airport, a hog farm or a feedlot already in place and you move there knowing it, you have no room to gritch. They were there first, minding their own business. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Such actions include due diligence when selecting a location for buying or building a home or place of business. For those who want to live in a perfect world, they need to get a grip on reality and suck it up.

As far as LAX goes, those neighborhoods along Century Boulevard appear to be post war era. I would hope that those who built them and bought them went into it with eyes(and ears) wide open.

Century Blvd. was NOT in between four parallel 10,000+ foot runways in the postwar building boom. You seem to be assuming airports don't change. They do. Sometimes a lot.

In 1955, it wasn't at all obvious that LAX was going to be the region's biggest airport. Many thought it would be in Glendale or Burbank due to the proximity of the movie industry. LAX was way out in the boonies and not that big.

Yup, big radials make noise. No, it's not the same level as a 707 and its four turbojets.

Last edited:
Century Blvd. was NOT in between four parallel 10,000+ foot runways in the postwar building boom. You seem to be assuming airports don't change. They do. Sometimes a lot.

In 1955, it wasn't at all obvious that LAX was going to be the region's biggest airport. Many thought it would be in Glendale or Burbank due to the proximity of the movie industry. LAX was way out in the boonies and not that big.

Yup, big radials make noise. No, it's not the same level as a 707 and its four turbojets.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have the expectation that airports will grow and expand as the demand arises.

Correct! Airports change. That's why buying or building ANYWHERE near an existing airport should be approached with caution. If you decided to build/buy near an airport and they build new runways, put on your big boy pants and suck it up. You paid your money and you took your chance. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. The airport was there first.

Back