GPS Replacement

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I have a Bendix/King KLN90B IFR GPS. It really does most things I want and I have no real inlcination to upgrade to one of the Garmin wonderboxes. But I would like a little bit better moving map. I have flown with the KLN89B and KLN 94 both are real nice and I know they are swap-able. Meaning that once the tray is installed you can put either one in the tray and not have to do any rewiring. Does anyone know if they can be inserted into the tray for the KLN90B and work without modification?

smigaldi said:
I have a Bendix/King KLN90B IFR GPS. It really does most things I want and I have no real inlcination to upgrade to one of the Garmin wonderboxes. But I would like a little bit better moving map. I have flown with the KLN89B and KLN 94 both are real nice and I know they are swap-able. Meaning that once the tray is installed you can put either one in the tray and not have to do any rewiring. Does anyone know if they can be inserted into the tray for the KLN90B and work without modification?

No Way, No How. IIRC the change to a KLN-94 isn't very complicated but you will need a new tray and the connectors are different. Skip the 89B and go with a KLN-94, it's close to 10 times better than the 89B or the 90B IMO. I've flown with a 90B enough to have been comfortable with it (in the past) and flew at least a few hundred hours with the 89B before upgrading to the 94 when they first came out. The improvements were astounding. In addition to the obvious advantages of color, the resolution is way better and allows far more information to be displayed without impacting readability. And while the user interface is loosely based on the 90B and an extension of the 89B, it's both simpler and more capable. IMO there isn't a better stand alone (no VOR or comm) IFR GPS out there even today.

The two things I like best about the KLN94 vs. 89B is the "proc" button and that you can monitor all the approaches in the database, like ILS & etc for situational awareness.

Plus the dedicated zoom button... oops, that's three.

Learned KLN89B and moved up to KLN94 for IR training. The KLN94 is simply several hundred times better for IMC work. And I don't believe the KLN90 tray works for either 89B or 94. The only direct swap I know of there is between the 89B and the 94. IIRC anyway.

Jim G

Back