GPS Part Deux

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
I had a question regarding the most accurate GPS a few weeks ago, and the answers here were spot on.....
Now, the next question.

We have developed a locomotive simulator for training engineers which requires grade and curvature information to build the track for any given railroad. On US and Canadian railroads that's no problem. They have this information either in chart form or in electronic form (this is the easiest). The resolution of this information does not need to be, and never is very precise. I think WAAS gps data would be fine. I plan to do a trial this week by pulling a wagon on a hilly bike path, collecting data at 5 mph and 1 sample per second. I'll then survey this stretch with a total station surveying instrument for comparison. I'm, sure it will be just fine.

The railroad that is causing this experiment is in Bolivia.
The question is......
Does WAAS operate in all locations, or iis it only in "developed" countries?

The railroad that is causing this experiment is in Bolivia.
The question is......
Does WAAS operate in all locations, or iis it only in "developed" countries?

http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html
Currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North America. There are no ground reference stations in South America, so even though GPS users there can receive WAAS, the signal has not been corrected and thus would not improve the accuracy of their unit.

edit I do not see a date on that publication.

Back