GPS installation

stsavios

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
stsavios
I'm looking at installing a GX-55 for IFR use in my panel (slide in for my LORAN). What kind of certification needs to be done to it to make it IFR certified, and what must be installed and connected to the GPS to make it certified?

Antenna
Annunciator (You may not need it for an en-route only GPS)
CDI or HSI head

But I gotta ask, did someone give you this for free? Cuz, I wouldn't even call it worth the installation cost. Especially since it won't be approach certified.

Annunciator (You may not need it for an en-route only GPS)
AFAIK, there's no enroute-only certification available, and the GX55 is certifiable enroute/terminal only, with an annunciator required. In addition, there is certification testing and paperwork.

But I gotta ask, did someone give you this for free? Cuz, I wouldn't even call it worth the installation cost. Especially since it won't be approach certified.,
I'm with COFB on this -- you won't pay much more final total installed cost for an approach-certified GPS, and you'll get a whole lot more utility. Check with your avionics shop on bottom line installed cost on both options before you commit.

Just looking for a cheap GPS installation... and as it's a slide in replacement, installation costs would be next to zero. but just looking at my options.

Just looking for a cheap GPS installation... and as it's a slide in replacement, installation costs would be next to zero. but just looking at my options.
For VFR only, yes, that's true, but for IFR certification, figure $2k more for the extra parts and installation/certification.

I'd say you're better off buying a nice Garmin Aera.

If you're not getting an approach certified GPS, there's not much reason to spend any money on it. The only case I could see for it is if one of your Nav radios is crapping out.

Edit: GPS approaches are soooooooooooo awesome. I think it would plain old suck to have an IFR GPS that couldn't do approaches.

Edit: Edit: GPS-WAAS approaches are about 10 times as awesome as plain GPS approaches. I went through the whole soul search about GPS, including pricing out a KLN-89B and KLN-94 and ultimately dropped 15k to have a Garmin WAAS box installed. Putting money into the older GPSs really doesn't get you much except a headache when it breaks.

Last edited:
If you're not getting an approach certified GPS, there's not much reason to spend any money on it.
You still get a lot of utility out of an enroute/terminal GPS. You can use it to sub for DME on almost any approach calling for DME, you can take direct clearances enroute and in the terminal area, you can use it in place of a second VOR on approaches calling for dual VOR's, etc. Granted, I don't think the cost savings over an approach GPS are worth what you give up in capability, but it still has a good deal of value.

You still get a lot of utility out of an enroute/terminal GPS. You can use it to sub for DME on almost any approach calling for DME, you can take direct clearances enroute and in the terminal area, you can use it in place of a second VOR on approaches calling for dual VOR's, etc. Granted, I don't think the cost savings over an approach GPS are worth what you give up in capability, but it still has a good deal of value.

I can agree with that. If the installation cost was roughly equivalent to the boxes it can sub for then I'd think its worthwhile. If it is going to cost more than a DME and a Nav then I wouldn't bother (I don't even consider ADF). If the OP already has DME and 2 Navs then I definitely don't think its worth the expense.

Edit: Someone might chime in with the opportunity to fly GPS direct. I guess if you fly a ton, going direct saves significant time and gas. If you fly average amounts (<150 hours/year) then the savings over Victor routing won't pay for even a basic IFR GPS installation.

Last edited:
Contact your local avionics geek directly, and sit down before getting the install quote. AFAIK you are looking at more than "slide in" if you want IFR

Back