GPS Confusing

Jaime P

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AV8TOR
This might sound stupid an approach that has an heading of RNAV(GPS). If using GPS. Can the RNAV be use with the GPS. Or do you need RNAV equipment to shoot a RNAV Approach with the GPS as a reference. The approach diagram is the same. All other approach plate is separate ILS, VOR, NDB

The first question could answer this question.

I find it confusing went setting up a RNAV (GPS) approach on the Garmin 430.
A current data base. For example Wings Field RNAV (GPS) RWY 24
On the Jepp approach plate you have MAZIE (IAF), YARDLEY (IAF), and HOMWE (IF) AND YUWSO (FAF).
And went you choosing RNAV 24 on the Garmin 430 dose not have a GPS 24 in data base.
And it has everything except HOMWE (IF). And approach instructs you direct to HOMWE. In the past I use the direct button to HOMWE and then activate the approach.
I just feel I am missing something here. I also have a similar problem with

If the chart says "RNAV(GPS)," then you must have an IFR GPS with that approach in the database to shoot the approach. If it says "VOR/DME RNAV," then you must have a regular VOR/DME RNAV unit like a KNS-80 to shoot the approach. You won't find many of the latter. In addition, if it says "VOR/DME RNAV or GPS," you can fly it with either. See AIM Section 5-4-5a3(e).

In terms of the Garmin 430 menus, you may not see exactly the same titles as are on the charts. Thus, the RNAV(GPS) 24 approach may appear as "GPS 24" and a "VOR/DME RNAV or GPS 24" may appear as "VOR/DME 24" with "GPS" in little letters next to it. You can fly either approach with the 430 as your primary nav instrument. However, if the approach is only "VOR/DME RNAV 24," it may appear on your 430 menu as "VOR/DME 24," but when you select it, you'll get a warning that the GPS is for situational awareness only, and not to fly the approach without the VOR/DME equipment.

Ron
Thanks! What I like to know If I choose an approach on a IFR GPS. If I choose RNAV 24 in the GPS. If I can shooted it as a GPS 24. If the approach plate said RNAV(GPS) RWY 24
Thanks for the help.

Ron
Thanks! What I like to know If I choose an approach on a IFR GPS. If I choose RNAV 24 in the GPS. If I can shooted it as a GPS 24. If the approach plate said RNAV(GPS) RWY 24
Thanks for the help.
Sorry, you've lost me.

Ron
Thanks for the help.

Jamie, I think what your asking is if the plate says RNAV (GPS) RWY 24 and on the 430 the available approach says RNAV 24 is it ok to shoot the approach using the 430 as the primary navigational instrument having selected what is listed as the RNAV 24 on the 430's screen. Is that correct?

If so I understand ( BUT WILL NOT ANSWER FOR RON) that Ron's post says it is ok. Is that correct Ron?

Jamie, you are lost in nomeclature. The RNAV GPS 24 approach is the gps 24 in the Garmin.

basically
RNAV = GPS

(there is another type of RNAV, but it's pretty rare nowadays, so don't worry about it. cross that bridge when you get to it)

RNAV (GPS) means GPS. GPS is a type of RNAV (area navigation).

The other common type of RNAV is VOR/DME RNAV, such as the once-popular King KNS 80 RNAV unit.

Here are some examples that can be flown with either:

VOR/DME RNAV or GPS 35 BRO
VOR/DME RNAV or GPS 13 MBY

Here are some examples that cannot be flown with an IFR GPS, but can be flown with the older RNAV unit: (note that some waypoints, for instance the MAP on the first approach, are not named and thus not "known" to an IFR GPS.)

VOR/DME RNAV 35L DWH
VOR/DME RNAV 18 BEC

Here are some GPS overlay approaches that can be flown either with GPS or traditional radio navaids:

NDB OR GPS 5 LAL
VOR OR GPS 8 SMQ
VOR OR GPS-A CRW

Here are some of the older GPS-only approaches:

GPS 23 SFZ
GPS 26 TCY

Here are some of the newer GPS-only approaches - Note the name change to RNAV (GPS) and the T-shaped approach (compare to the above approaches that are only called "GPS"):

RNAV (GPS) 26 AGS
RNAV (GPS) 20 SAF
RNAV (GPS) Y 19L ICT

Bottom line is, anything that says "GPS" or "OR GPS" or "RNAV (GPS)" in the title can be flown using an IFR approach approved GPS. Hope this helps.

Thanks all. That what I was looking for on the approaches. The 430 will show both GPS or Rnav and the Rnav can be use without a Rnav instructment. Approach plates help alot.

Back