GPS basic questions

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Hey all,

I've been using my Lowrance Airmap 2000 happily for a number of years and only now am considering an upgrade. I've been so out of the market that I had never really followed the Aera line--last I knew the gadget to have was the 396 or the 496.

So just some basic questions if one opts for the model with XM weather and radio:
How do you hear the audio--can I plug into the audio jack in my headset? My audio panel does not have an aux jack, so going in that way would require an avionics tech, and a lot of extra expense.
How much does a subscription to weather and radio cost (per month or annually)? I currently have 2 cars with XM radio, so don't know if that factors into it.

Thanks!

How do you hear the audio--can I plug into the audio jack in my headset?
Not sure what sort of headset arrangement you have, but the normal method would be to plug into the "audio in" jack in your audio panel or other external audio jack. There's a tinny little speaker in the Aera unit which operates whenever there's no plug in the unit's "audio out" jack, but you probably wouldn't hear it with your headset on. Of course, if your headset has a jack to allow audio in, I suppose that would work at least for the person wearing that headset.

How much does a subscription to weather and radio cost (per month or annually)? I currently have 2 cars with XM radio, so don't know if that factors into it.
Prices for the weather service range from $35-100/month, and the music is an extra $13/month. I have the middle $55/month service plus the music, and use the unit as my car GPS and XM music device, too. Check the XM web site for details.

My 396 is connected to an ext input for the audio panel via 1/8" stereo patch cord.

Many of the newer headset models have audio inputs, so you could run the patch cord from the GPS directly to the headset. On the downside, no one else on the plane could then listen to the music.

Hey all,

I've been using my Lowrance Airmap 2000 happily for a number of years and only now am considering an upgrade. I've been so out of the market that I had never really followed the Aera line--last I knew the gadget to have was the 396 or the 496.

So just some basic questions if one opts for the model with XM weather and radio:
How do you hear the audio--can I plug into the audio jack in my headset? My audio panel does not have an aux jack, so going in that way would require an avionics tech, and a lot of extra expense.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I just bought the Garmin Aera 550, I love it !!!

Its touch screen and what a tool!

I had been flying a Trimble 2000 coupled to a Argus 5000 moving map, the Aera 550 Americas blow the roof off !!!

Hope it helps

Hey all,

You have several choices. You can switch to an audio panel with a music input (e.g. PMA8000B), install an intercom with music input (e.g. PM3000), use a headset with a music input (e.g. almost any Lightspeed model), or buy a Muse (one for each headset).

There are three levels of XM weather subscriptions. The least expensive is aviator light, aviator, aviator pro, currently $35, $55, and $100 per month respectively. For more info on that go to:
http://www.xmwxweather.com/aviation/data-service-pricing.html

XM radio is a separate subscription and will probably run the same as you're paying for the cars.

Back