Gotta love the indecisiveness

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
We smell natural gas throughout the building starting 20 minutes ago. Supervisor says "We might have a gas leak, I'll call the building mainentance guy, everyone stay at your desks."

She can't get ahold of anyone, so we don't evacuate. It really reeks in here now. Awesome.

Just fasten your seatbelt. EVERYBODY will be outside soon....and they'll make the trip in milliseconds.

You work for some of the dumbest people, I swear. The reason they add that smell is to get you to leave. By the time you can smell it constantly in an open room the levels are at the low end of the danger scale. Not ready to blow up or anything but enough to let you know to get out.

I used to work for a company that did business for the gas companies when I first got out of school. For a year that I was there I learned a lot about gas detection and some key words to tell gas companies when you deal with them. If you ever say, "I smell gas" they want you out of the building and the gas company will call the FD. They recognize the danger.

So what was it finally. I take it since you are safe there is not an issue, but was your supervisor smelling gas because their head was close to or up an orifice that sometime will let out gas? ;)

If it is really reeking then call 911 and get out.

You'll never believe what the smell actually was:

A tampon in the girls bathroom.

I kid you not. That almost made me vomit.

You'll never believe what the smell actually was:

A tampon in the girls bathroom.

I kid you not. That almost made me vomit.

Nick, you live in a bizarre world over there....

And the odor agent of choice is (or used to be) Ethyl Mercaptan. It is amazing how small a quantity of EM will be detectable.

-Skip

According to Wikipedia, "It is a colorless liquid that has a very strong and disagreeable odor, resembling that of leeks. Humans can detect the smell of ethanethiol in concentrations as low as one part in 50 billion parts of air."

Wow.

And the odor agent of choice is (or used to be) Ethyl Mercaptan. It is amazing how small a quantity of EM will be detectable.

-Skip

Methyl mercaptan also works, we make tons of both down in Beaumont TX. Good to the low part per billion level. An interesting side note, the second biggest use is for chicken feed! :hairraise: . Haven't a clue why???

The next question... who was the guilty party who left the unmentionable in the lady's room? And, if she is found out... could she ever continue to work there without embarrassment, ever again? Yikes!

Next time they say we might have a gas leak, no one go anywhere. Just whip open your cigarette pack and start smoking...

I thought I was close to hearing about it all. . .but turns out I was wrong again.

Jeff

That's just eaten up with stupid.
Gas + spark = potential BOOM. No good can come from being inside a fireball. If they want to sit at their desk while they get gassed to death or blown to smithereens, they can do it by themselves.

Above my stove is a label that says "If you smell gas." None of those 6 steps include "sit there until you pass out or get blown up."

IMNSHO anything that scares the fire department means you should flee faster than instantaneously THEN sort out the source of the problem.

Back