Got to fly in a biplane this past Sunday!

tdager

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
LittleIronPilot
So there I was, hanging at the local 3 Dollar Cafe with the wife and a good friend (whose dad is a local legend in the area as a former FAA investigator) downing some beers, burgers and pasta salad when out of the blue my phone rings.

It is the founder of the local fly-in community who is a huge aviation nut and has a bunch of planes (and have owned MANY more, some really neat ones too!) and says "I just rolled out my biplane and I was wondering if you and the wife wanted to go flying."

Well hell yeah!

So we drive over and there she sits a beautiful biplane, 1929 model (I do not remember the type).

So we climb aboard, he fires her up, we taxi out to the grass strip, do a run-up and away we go.

First...that thing is LOUD as hell...but man, what a feeling. Me and the wife sitting side-by-side up front, me with a good buzz, with an accomplished and trusted pilot just flying us around our local area at about 500-800'agl.

Man, oh man...what an amazing, amazing ride. I was just grinning from ear-to-ear. The even more amazing part was the fact that my wife LOVED it. The biplane owner has been pushing her to get her own license and she is considering it, however after that flight she was SOLD on the idea of owning our own plane once I am certified.

Then I got to go up again with my friend....he was grinning as hard as I was. As I stated his did is a former FAA investigator and pilot and my buddy has MISSED it. He is now looking at starting back into training and getting his license as well.

Then we landed and sat around and drank beers, ate grilled burgers, and just enjoyed the amazing day.

Likely a Travelair...

travelairfly2.jpg

or a Waco...

a12.jpg

How cool!! For some reason, I've got this overriding fantasy of flying a Tiger Moth... what's cool is, Father's Day is coming, and I happen to know of a place nearby that rents them. :D

I think it was a Waco..though it looked suspiciously like the one you posted.

tdager said:
I think it was a Waco..though it looked suspiciously like the one you posted.

I think the picture was a Travel Air.

Back