Got my ticket wet

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
Well, the right combination of weather, life and airplane finally came together this morning and I was able to go out and get my ticket wet. It felt great! The ceiling was reported at OVC011, but it was more like OVC009. The tops were at like 1700 AGL, so I didn't spend the whole flight in the soup...which was probably a good thing. It took me a couple of minutes to get ahead of the airplane. Once I did, it all went off swimmingly.

I got in an RNAV approach, an ILS approach and a hold in 1.0 hobbs. Overall, it was a pretty good flight.

Now I have to keep my eye out for a thicker layer, so that I can stay in actual the entire time!

Congrats....took me a while to get some actual once I got my IR ticket.

Suddenly for the next few months, it was like all the clouds disappeared from the sky, or if there were any, there came armed with ice or embedded t-storms!

Much more uneventful than when I got mine wet...

Jason, if for a local practice flight and MVA/MRA will allow, why not ask for an altitude which will keep you in actual?

You: Twr, request (specify alt). Deal or no deal?

ATC: Deal!

Jason, if for a local practice flight and MVA/MRA will allow, why not ask for an altitude which will keep you in actual?

I wish that worked here in SoCal....I typically get about 30 seconds of actual in a given flight - the marine layer is usually only about 500-750 feet thick.

I thought about it...but at one point I was popping in and out of the tops and that was just too much fun... :D

I tthough you literally got your paper cert wet and destroyed. Then I read the thread and....Oh how I admire you.

Congrats, Jason! That's the sort of thing that's a really good first intro to flying solo with your IR.

And flying through the cloud tops is one of my favorite things to do. It just doesn't get old. :)

Congrats, Jason! That's the sort of thing that's a really good first intro to flying solo with your IR.

And flying through the cloud tops is one of my favorite things to do. It just doesn't get old. :)
no doubt cloud tops is cool. But can you log that as actual and it is to that which I directed my comments.

Reading that makes me want to go revive that old thread and ask you if the aircraft has/had static wicks...?

Seems the most logical explanation for that unfortunate noise event.

Never happened again after I yanked the KX-145 and replaced it with a 430

Never happened again after I yanked the KX-145 and replaced it with a 430

Yeah, I know. Just like root-cause when I can get to it. Avionics, computers, techie stuff... With the right test gear and a lot of time, it's all explainable.

Meanwhile out here in the real world we all just swap parts until the silly thing works! ;)

Well, the right combination of weather, life and airplane finally came together this morning and I was able to go out and get my ticket wet. It felt great! The ceiling was reported at OVC011, but it was more like OVC009. The tops were at like 1700 AGL, so I didn't spend the whole flight in the soup...which was probably a good thing. It took me a couple of minutes to get ahead of the airplane. Once I did, it all went off swimmingly.

I got in an RNAV approach, an ILS approach and a hold in 1.0 hobbs. Overall, it was a pretty good flight.

Now I have to keep my eye out for a thicker layer, so that I can stay in actual the entire time!

Awesome. I wish I were a poet so I could describe how we feel on days like these!

Congrats Jason... Getting enough actual to get comfortable can be a chore. I was lucky I guess, I had about 6 hrs of actual by the time I took my check ride. My problem was getting comfortable flying in the soup without my instructor sitting next to me. Take it slow and fly safe.

Congrats Jason... Getting enough actual to get comfortable can be a chore. I was lucky I guess, I had about 6 hrs of actual by the time I took my check ride. My problem was getting comfortable flying in the soup without my instructor sitting next to me. Take it slow and fly safe.
I had about 6 before I had my PPL/C. For my IR, I shouda quit my first ILS. My CFI was ecstatic, he'd never seen an ILS flown so perfectly. How can one do better than perfect?

I had about 6 before I had my PPL/C. For my IR, I shouda quit my first ILS. My CFI was ecstatic, he'd never seen an ILS flown so perfectly. How can one do better than perfect?

If you actually turn the CDI on, the needles will give more accurate readings. :D

Right after I got my IFR I flew actual all the time (winter in Seattle).

Then I moved to Tucson and haven't seen a "real" cloud in years.

I really miss flying in the clouds -- I hate the hood.

Back