Got my ticket on Saturday!

Scud_072

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scud
Became a Private Pilot on Saturday, fulfilling a life long dream at age 56. My first memory as a child was my dad's Piper Cub in the garage of our house with the wings off. After I was born, he couldn't afford to fly it anymore. On Monday, I am flying out to see him for lunch on Monday.

Total training time: 59.5 hours over nine months.

Now working on my complex and high performance endorsements, and planning to start IFR training in June.

Going for a spin recovery training flight this afternoon in a Citabria. Should be fun.

Thanks for all the support.

congratulations!

Awesome!!!!
Congratulations.

Check ride write-up coming soon?

congrats. The citabria should be lots of fun. Good luck with the instrument rating. If you plan to see your dad often, it would be a great tool.

Great news! Welcome to the small community of certificated aviators!!!

Congrats,glad to see you are continuing on in your training. Good luck ,have fun.

Awesome, it feels good to complete it! But it start right over again for the next rating!

Keep going, im right behind you on the IFR. I think you have to have 40 hours of XC before you can begin the IFR training though.

Keep going, im right behind you on the IFR. I think you have to have 40 hours of XC before you can begin the IFR training though.

Might as well start studying now.

Read the regs. 50 hours cross country is required to apply for the rating, not to start training. And that is only required for a Part 61 program. 14 CFR 61.65(d)(1).

Might as well start studying now.

Read the regs. 50 hours cross country is required to apply for the rating, not to start training. And that is only required for a Part 61 program. 14 CFR 61.65(d)(1).

Its not a bad idea to get a good amount of hours towards your 50 before starting training. But you'll be able to pick up 15-20 hrs easily during the IR training itself, so no reason to wait until you have 40 or 50 hours to start.

Congrats!!

FYI – you many want to go for your Commercial License at the same time. It covers the same info as a PPL with a few extras.

Awesome, it feels good to complete it! But it start right over again for the next rating!

Not necessarily. You need 50 to meet the requirements to hold the rating I believe. If you find the right instructor, you can get a good amount if your XC under the hood and kill two birds with one stone. You should have a decent amount of PIC XC under your belt. I started with about 20 pic XC. In the last two weeks, I have put on about 30+ hours of XC time. I'm now up to 55 hours pic XC.

Last edited:
Back