Got my ticket 7/30

EightEightRomeo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
88R
It took me twenty months, but on Monday I passed my PPL ASEL on the first try. :D The check ride was really no different than the many I've read and enjoyed seeing here. It was 2.6 in the air which I thought sounded long, but didn't seem that long. He threw in a Class Charlie arrival and departure which took up a good 30 minutes after being vectored around. Did not do power on stall or emergency descent.:dunno: Saved the use of GPS as a backup plan since I knew he'd fail some equipment. Turns out I only used it to get my distance from the Class C area for my initial call up.

The oral portion in the morning was also long...3 hours! That was largely a conversation rather than non stop Q&A. He asked me maybe 20 or so direct specific questions. A majority of the oral was scenario based discussions and "what if's". Emphasis on ADM and SRM.

My take away during the debrief was to obviously be safe, but to also show mastery of the aircraft. Make sound decisions and execute them. Put the airplane where you say you want to put it...not 6 degrees off, or 90 ft higher than you planned. Realize that the questions I've been asking my instructor all along in flight won't get me very far when asked to a passenger. More than once I heard " you're the pilot".

The whole training endeavor was such a thrill for me. I didn't know something could be so challenging, and so much fun at the same time. I started out with THE BEST instructor on Earth. A 12,000 hour ATP FO for one of the majors who enjoyed putzing along in our club J3 more than the 757 or 767 he flies for a living. Unfortunately his company "filed", perhaps you heard, and he was re assigned. :mad: Fortunately, my next instructor was also great, and finished me out to pretty tight standards. They, like any good instructor will over prepare the student. It makes sense to me. Now my mission is to get my HP endorsement in the C182 I purchased during training, my beloved 88Romeo.

Thanks all for reading!! For the students getting ready to see your DPE....Captain Ron said it best...Relax.

Awesome. So no surprises, no brain farts, no drama? :dunno:

Congratulations! It's alot of fun, eh.

Well done to you! Go enjoy a nice flight for fun now and reflect on what a great accomplishment you just had!

By the way, 2.6 is like twice as long as my check ride was. That seems long- good job staying focused for that long under the stress of a check ride!

First of all well done. wow, a total of 5.6 hours for ground and air time. Sounds like someone needed a pay check. I'm a CFI and if it goes over 3 or 4 hours for one of my students, I generally have a conversation with the designee to see exactly what issues were discovered that required so much time. Did he at lease buy you lunch?

I just looked back in my log books, now this was 40 years ago, but I flew with a designee and it was an hour oral and 1.2 in the air and half of that was the cross country check, the remainder was at an off route airfield to shoot take offs and do power off landings, he ended the flight, punched my ticket and sent me on my way, it was his home field.

That sounds like a pretty long, stressful exam! Be confident in your abilities to safely pilot based on that intro! Congratulations!

Just picked up my HP endorsement and insurance required dual time for my 182. All this fretting about getting my license, and bang... now I'm free to fly the Skylane too. Let the cash burn continue I guess. Although, with the club J3 at $48/hr wet, I may have to start thinking tailwheel.

Just picked up my HP endorsement and insurance required dual time for my 182. All this fretting about getting my license, and bang... now I'm free to fly the Skylane too. Let the cash burn continue I guess. Although, with the club J3 at $48/hr wet, I may have to start thinking tailwheel.

You'll look back at how cheap it was after you buy your own airplane.

Congrats! Yes go for the Cub:wink2:

I'm working on my TW endorsement now and it's a blast! You'll love the taildragger. I'm learning in a Super Decathlon. The most challenging part thus far has been the wheel landings!

After doing a few and hopping all over the runway like a Kangeroo, I'm finally getting the hang of it:). You'll have to break the natural reflex to pull back on the stick! You have to push the stick forward once the mains touch! My last two landings were actually decent (instructor said perfect...but I wouldn't go that far:lol:).

Last edited:

Don't prang the nosegear on the 182... and go do the tailwheel. That's an unbeatable price.

I rejoice with u... Congratulation.... Now go learn...

Back