Got my airplane back today!

Stephen Shore

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sshore
OK guys - I finally got my airplane today! First of all - I am so glad to get this Sundowner back. Immediately on takeoff I remembered why I was sold on this Sundowner.

First of all - what I got done:

Normal pre-buy stuff, which included repairs to:
1. Muffler
2. Some bell cranks on the ailerons - bearings to be specific.
3. New boost pump.
4. Rotating beacon light
5. New landing gear donuts
6. Garmin 420W interface repaired
7. Various minor issues

Additions:
1. Garmin GTX 335 transponder
2. JPI fuel flow meter

What I have left to do: Powerflow Exhaust (ordered for January delivery).

Quick note: If anyone has a Beechcraft Musketeer, Sundowner, Sierra, etc., make SURE you join the Beech Aero Club. That club is invaluable for anyone who owns a "Baby Beech". I could not have gotten this plane back in the air if it was not for that club. They loaned me the tools for my mechanic to correctly install the landing gear donuts. Everyone in that club is great.

Now, how does the plane fly? Well, it flys great! I had a great day today. I just stayed in the area, did a few touch and goes, and had a great time with my son. I really don't remember much how the plane landed with the old donuts (it has been two months since I flew it), but so far after four landings it seems like the new donuts did great. Very good and smooth touchdowns and I guess they must be broken in now!

This old 54 year old lapsed pilot is back in the game and having the time of his life. Merry Christmas!!

IMG_20171223_150829845_HDR_zpsgyyercze.jpg

Good looking plane Stephen! Congratulations.

Nice looking bird, Stephen! I wish you many exciting times ahead. :cheers:

Nice looking Beech Stephen. The manual calls them biscuits not donuts...:) Rap argues with me "says biscuits don't have a hole in the center"...:) I'm a northerner so what do I know...

Cool beans! Always enjoyed flying Sundowners and Sierras, fine flying machines.

Congrats!

I read your post this morning on BAC, very nice looking Sundowner. I fly an 80 Sundowner.

Awesome. Great looking Sundowner; really need to get the donuts changed out on my Beech.

Never met anyone who owned one of those things that didn’t really like it. Good luck.

Awesome. Great looking Sundowner; really need to get the donuts changed out on my Beech.

If you are a member of the Beech Aero Club you will get access to the tools that make that "donut" change very easy and much quicker. That is a great group.

Also, those donuts are available aftermarket now. I don't know if they are the same, but they look exactly like the donuts in a Mooney.

Yep, membership has its privileges. Do you have to freeze or heat them?

With the tool freezing is not necessary. It basically presses them on without damage.

Lovely looking Beech, inside and out!

You've got every reason to be proud of it, and to fly it. Thanks for the pics.

Nice Sundowner. I spent many hours instruction in one. They are really a nice built airplane & offer great flight characteristics. They feel like a step up from a Cherokee. They only get a bad rap because they take their time getting places. As I remember, the 180HP sundowner I flew was had about the same cruise speed as our 150HP 172.

Enjoy that nice bird!

Stephen: care to share the source and costs of those biscuits? I’m looking at a sundowner that needs them replaced and my mechanic says a full set is very costly.

ML

Back