Got me a motorcycle!!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I've been looking for a while, but I finally bought a motorcycle today. 1983 Honda CX650C. Beautiful bike. I've actually never ridden a bike today, but I drove it home after buying and did quite well (aside from some stupid mistakes that I figure I'll get over).

She's my baby! Got insurance today, will do the MSF course as soon as one comes along. Will register ASAP.

The only pic I could take was at night, as that's when I got home.

Attachments

• IMAGE_043.jpg
    IMAGE_043.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to the brotherhood of two wheels. I didn't know they made a 650 version of the CX. I think it was the 500 cc version that was the basis for the Silverwing, a sweet full dress Tourer they made in the 80's. Should be really smooth.

Sounds like good bike for you. Be careful, and of course, gear.

My brother has a CX500, Nice bike. Water cooled shaftie. Not the fastest bike in the world but a good starter bike.

Pete

I've been looking for a while, but I finally bought a motorcycle today. 1983 Honda CX650C.

I've always liked the CX series of Hondas, I jokingly call them Moto Sushi's, as they are kind of like a Japanese water cooled copy of a Moto Guzzi.

The moto couriers in places like London swear by these bikes, very durable.

Enjoy your new ride, and be safe, Nick. ATGATT (all the gear all the time).

Last edited:
Way to go, Nick!
I have a vintage 1970 Honda CB750 and love it.

ATGATT!!!

Nice bike Nick. Congratulations.

Remember that everyone driving a cage is trying to kill you and be safe.

ATGATT for sure.

Congrats! I always liked those bikes. The V-twin with one cylinder sticking out either side is just cool.

Definitely ATGATT. Most people don't do this. Everyone driving a steel cage is trying to kill you, but you may try to inadvertently kill yourself, and that's why it's necessary to be properly dressed for the occasion.

This is what I look like before hopping on a bike, minus the helmet:

Ted_Motorcycle_Gear.jpg

The picture's a few years old (that was in a house I lived in while in college). Yes, riding around town in the summer is really hot. Sweat washes off with a shower. Road rash don't. Besides, once you get moving it's fine. I spent about $500 on gear - Joe Rocket textile jacket and pants, AGV Sport leather summer gloves w/kevlar for the knuckles (Tour Master winter gloves), Nolan N100e flip-face helmet, and then some Fox Racing boots. Doesn't guarantee that I'll arrive alive, but it sure increase my odds...

Buddy of mine here at work commutes on his CBR1100XX just about every day. Arai Helmet, Smurf blue aerostich suit and sidi boots. He looks a little goofy coming into the office, but the gear saved his ass at least once.

I do need some better riding pants to go with my Firstgear Killimanjaro jacket for next season. Any advice?

Pete

I actually use an old pair of leather chaps with my textile jacket. They don't look so stupid with the longer jacket, keep my legs warm, and even keep the rain off for short rides. They come off and on faster and easier than the armored textile pants.

Arai Helmet, Smurf blue aerostich suit and sidi boots.

Close to my daily kit, HJC helmet (Arai has gotten more expensive while their quality has gone down), Hi-Vis yellow aerostich one piece (looks like hell, but I don't care), Alpinstars boots, Held gloves.

I actually use an old pair of leather chaps with my textile jacket. They don't look so stupid with the longer jacket, keep my legs warm, and even keep the rain off for short rides. They come off and on faster and easier than the armored textile pants.

Overpants are nice too. They go on and off in seconds like ski pants even with boots on.

ATGATT includes a full face helmet. There's nothing quite like sliding along on your face watching the ground grind past while calmly thinking you're glad to be inside the helmet instead on the other side of the visor with that 4-grit belt sander running.
Screaming colors help blind drivers see you too....sometimes...but don't depend on it.

Attachments

• Bumblebee-RR1.jpg
    Bumblebee-RR1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 15
Back