Got hypoxia really bad!

So today, I took the cog railway up to the top of Pike's Peak (14,110ft MSL).

I've been in Colorado for about 3 months now

I came to the forum today to ask a medical question when I happened on this post. I was at the top of Pike's Peak on Saturday, and I've lived here for about 4 months. Previously I lived in OH at about 600 feet. Small world!

Luckily I didn't have any issues, but the weekend before that we drove up to the top of Mount Evans. My wife and I got pretty good headaches from that one. Wonderful view up there though--I think I liked it better than PP.

Should have a sat above 96% FYI

That's what I thought. I've had my pulseox taken many times on the ground and never got less than 98. My ex-grandma-in-law died of lung cancer and she lost consciousness somewhere in the upper 80's.

Guess i need to invest in one to see where i'm at at altitude. If I ever saw anything like 90, it would freak me out and would be descending fast, if I could. I've never spent a whole lot of time (maybe an hour here or there) above 10 k. But i've been up skiing all day for days before at or above 12,500. Now it makes me wonder. Only had a headache once. When I did, I was heading down to denver anyway, in a car. That fixed it that evening, as I recall.

That's what I thought. I've had my pulseox taken many times on the ground and never got less than 98. My ex-grandma-in-law died of lung cancer and she lost consciousness somewhere in the upper 80's.

Guess i need to invest in one to see where i'm at at altitude. If I ever saw anything like 90, it would freak me out and would be descending fast, if I could. I've never spent a whole lot of time (maybe an hour here or there) above 10 k. But i've been up skiing all day for days before at or above 12,500. Now it makes me wonder. Only had a headache once. When I did, I was heading down to denver anyway, in a car. That fixed it that evening, as I recall.

As I quote myself to make a point, MAYBE I wouldn't be 'descending fast' after all. The brain is a confident organ. with your only mechanism of analyzing your condition in a state of impairment, would I?

Good news: I've lost 3 inches and about 14 pounds thanks to PJ Gustafson's help. And I'm only 1/3 of the way through the first stages of life change, so I hope to see much, much more :)

So:

{X} Quit Smoking
{X} Lose Weight
{X} Change diet to resolve kidney stones
{ } Get medical back
{ } Be happy

Almost there.

Good for you!!! Keep it up and good luck to you. I was slender my whole life and had smoked since my early twentys. I quit in 2008 and after about 6 months the weight started rolling on. I got up close to 270 from 212 when I'd had enough. Wife and I started weight watchers and I got down to 225. Next to getting my IFR rating it's the hardest damn thing for me to keep weight off now so I can feel your pain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back