Got/getting a bike..

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Went to the bike (pedal, not vroom vroom) shop today with my bro-in-law to help me pick out a new road bike in preparation of RAGBRAI.

After taking a measurement (I'm biggest measurement they've ever done [insert flattering pun here]), they decided I needed a bike in the 65cm range!! :hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

Considering I don't want to spend a bundle on a custom bike for my first real road bike, we decided to try out a 63cm Trek 1.2 they had on hand. I rode it around a bit, then tried out a 58cm (XL) Fuji Newest they had on 'clearance' from last year. After riding the big bike, the Fuji felt VERY uncomfortable. I decided to go with the Trek. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/1_series/12/ It's just Trek's intro road bike, but it's a big step for me - only ever had Wal-Mart type bikes.

My b-i-l will call the shop owner on Monday. He has bought 6-7 bikes from him in the past few years, so he'll call for his 'special' price. ;) Hope to go get it and pick it up next week sometime. Just in time for the spring time thaw! :yes:

Chris,

Great! Have fun and good luck finding a saddle (I just received my fourth attempt in the mail today). I'll see you on the road in July!!

Fear the tusk!
team_tusk_avatar.jpg

That is cool Chris. How tall are you that they are saying you 63? That is a huge bike. BTW have you ever road Aluminum for a long ride? If not you might want to keep looking. AL can give a harsh ride compared to steel. Steel frames these days are getting pretty light too.

Chris is like 6-7. Didn't you meet him at 6Y9 ??

I also need to trade mine in. My frame is just a touch too small. Thought it felt good when I first rode it, but by the end of the season after getting it really adjusted, I found out it's the wrong size. :(

That is cool Chris. How tall are you that they are saying you 63? That is a huge bike. BTW have you ever road Aluminum for a long ride? If not you might want to keep looking. AL can give a harsh ride compared to steel. Steel frames these days are getting pretty light too.

Actually, they were saying that I 'should' be on a 65cm, but 63 is the biggest they can get without getting into the 4-digit price range.

I haven't ridden ANYTHING for an extended period of time yet, so I won't know if I'm on a rough ride or not. ;) Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :yes:

BUMP - just found this thread.

EGADS! 63cm - wow! I'm on a 56cm, a Felt Z70. I love it! I haven't biked since I had a Schwinn Varsity, weighed about 400lbs (the bike, not me:D) but what did I know? Biking is so much more fun than running.

Just made my first mod, went for a compact crankset, since I wasn't using the 3rd ring granny gears at all. Went from an FSA to a Shimano compact, maybe it's just me but it made a big difference in terms of my performance. It just felt better (maybe that's my brain excusing the cost). Still, shifts are better, and it's better for the chain in the long run.

Metric Century ride in 3 weeks. My first. I'm registered for a real 100mi Century in August.

Well, after crunching numbers and my wife and bro-in-law twisting my arm ;) I decided to go with the Trek 1.5 over the 1.2 so I can actually get what I *should* be on -- 64cm. I'll be placing the order in a few weeks and hope to be riding by the end of the month. Until then, I'm bumming my bro-in-law's old Specialized Rock Hopper as a campus beater.

Sounds like fun Chris, I just got a new mountain bike three weeks ago and it is alot of fun.

BUMP - just found this thread.

EGADS! 63cm - wow! I'm on a 56cm, a Felt Z70. I love it! I haven't biked since I had a Schwinn Varsity, weighed about 400lbs (the bike, not me:D) but what did I know? Biking is so much more fun than running.

Just made my first mod, went for a compact crankset, since I wasn't using the 3rd ring granny gears at all. Went from an FSA to a Shimano compact, maybe it's just me but it made a big difference in terms of my performance. It just felt better (maybe that's my brain excusing the cost). Still, shifts are better, and it's better for the chain in the long run.

Metric Century ride in 3 weeks. My first. I'm registered for a real 100mi Century in August.
I am still riding a triple but have thought about going to a compact double and also upgrading to Ultegra 10-speed. But when I price it out I also think that I might as well get another bike, albeit a custom one either from IF or Waterford.

Back