Got an answer (kinda)

N5922S

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N5922S
Talked to a very friendly controller at HQZ about why they don't require previous ATC contact, yet I got my butt chewed (well, nibbled lightly) for not calling Approach first when going into ADS -- both class D airports in the greater DFW monsterplex. He said that ADS uses ATC for sequencing.

OK, that's cool, but I haven't found this published anywhere. What's a mother to do? :confused:

Talked to a very friendly controller at HQZ about why they don't require previous ATC contact, yet I got my butt chewed (well, nibbled lightly) for not calling Approach first when going into ADS -- both class D airports in the greater DFW monsterplex. He said that ADS uses ATC for sequencing.

OK, that's cool, but I haven't found this published anywhere. What's a mother to do? :confused:

Makes sense to me....:yes:

Listen to the ATIS. KADS ATIS clearly says for VFR arrivals to contact Approach.

That's why you got your butt chewed. Saying you have "information XXXX" means you've listened to the message, not just the code.

I have read that you must talk to Approach before entering ADS, and my only guess would be that there is a lot more and bigger stuff flying in and out of ADS so they need to make sure everyone is clued in. I fly out of Airpark over there and I don't need to do that. They only require talking to the tower before entering the delta airspace.

I love flying to HQZ, it's normally pretty quiet, and the people over there are nice.

+1 they usually put it on the ATIS

Well if they chew your butt, that's "contact with ATC" so you are GOOD TO GO!

Back